Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ulsan Hotspots (don't bother mentioning Ulsanweb, okee?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bar the got beeped is *ssholes. I've only been there a couple of times about two years ago. When i went it wasn't that exciting. But things change and its supposed to be a good place to go.
Marathe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a55hole's been changed around and is better than it was before.
mackenzie's is a hole and needs to be burned to teh ground
the anchor's actually starting to come around
and acid was great until they stopped giving out free vodka and oj's before midnight.

The ulsan web's really slowly getting updated (and has been for like 3 months) - the guy doing it is busy all the time and hasn't had time to properly do it yet.

my reccos for the city: czeck out the shigaetop area - there's a cool park by the school to teh north of it thats a great spot to hang out (and drink); and there's a myriad of good restaraunts in the area (the 2nd best sol galbi sa that i had in korea).

geoff <--- been home for a week and a half and misses teh ulsan experience already.
shawner88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Joe Thanks"]
shawner88 wrote:
ulsanchris wrote:

If you are someone who is easily entertained, or if you are an alcoholic than you may like Ulsan.

The city is still polluted beyond all measure, still keep that in mind.

Look bro,

I understand hating a city. It wasn't your expectation, but reading your blog and whatnot you strike me as very naive. No insult intended, either.

So, statements that come off like "if you are an alcoholic you will love it there" say more about you than the city and don't contribute much. I respect your opinion that it was boring.

So, what isn�t boring? Seoul? Lol. Bigger isn't always better, and as someone hinted at in one of the responses to your contribution on this topic - it's not the place so much as the person - so, it's not the size of your lead so much but how you choose to swing it.

Pollution. Spend a few years in Taiwan and lecture me about Korean pollution. Oh, I know Korea has it, first hand, but I feel secure in making such a quantitative statement because I have some miles to back it up.

I am familiar with small Korean cities.

I posted this topic because I want to get a vibe on what lies ahead so I can get my grove on without disrupting the local flow of things or my flow of things. Experience necessitates this. Like many of your posts on this forum you make big statements but don�t give the full details and then let it go. I refer to your ajuma post that instigated a lot of responses ut you NEVER gave the full details as you did in your blog.

Not a nice thing, companero.

I�m not here to attack you because I don�t have any ll will against you. I just want to make this digression in the hopes you�ll do some serious thinking.

I respect that you don�t like Ulsan. I just see no details beyond immature generalized statements that don�t have details to illuminate saliently upon your points. As such, it comes off like whining.

Cheers,

Joe

Hey you're right, sorry about that. Sometime I will take more time to expand upon my experience in Ulsan. I really did have an awful time there, but yeah that could be because I'm a bit of a loner and don't usually hang around a lot of foreigners (tight community there in Ulsan) The biggest reason I have the taste of ashes about that place was my job was a real nightmare and after a year my breathing was labored from the air. Sorry to offend people who like Ulsan and live there. As I said before, a lot of people like it and there's no US military presence whatsoever a big plus.
Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading this thread , I have learned that Ulsan has:
a) a couple western bars
b) a Starbucks knockoff
c) a book exchange
d) a pretty good local football club

How you bros hang there is probably worthy of a movie.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Marathe"]a55hole's been changed around and is better than it was before.
mackenzie's is a hole and needs to be burned to teh ground

Please explain!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Cheers,

Joe
U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who started the web site moved back to America and turned the reins over to someone else. I'm sure, though, that the new fellow would be more than happy to get help from others.

It would certainly be a shame to see the site die. Even though it's nowhere near the level of Pusanweb, I still think it's a great asset for expats living in Ulsan.
Marathe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a55hole's just been remodded to allow for more space: prior to recently (like a month ago) it was really cramped: they moved the bar to the side and its way more open now.

and mackenzies? where to start? squatties in the washroom, the interior is just plain dank in general, the beer's cheap (same as everywhere), and it just has the feel of a dodgy dive about it.

i'll hit a dive in the real world strictly to pick up gear but in korea there's just no point.

the end.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marathe wrote:
a55hole's just been remodded to allow for more space: prior to recently (like a month ago) it was really cramped: they moved the bar to the side and its way more open now.

and mackenzies? where to start? squatties in the washroom, the interior is just plain dank in general, the beer's cheap (same as everywhere), and it just has the feel of a dodgy dive about it.

i'll hit a dive in the real world strictly to pick up gear but in korea there's just no point.

the end.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate you taking the time to school me on your opinions.

I hope to pound a few with you folks over the new year (if you're in town).

Best wishes,

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: