Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lasik Eye Surgery
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matesol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Lasik Eye Surgery Reply with quote

Has anyone here had Lasik eye surgery in Korea? Or does anyone know anything about it? I am seriously thinking about getting it. I'm getting tired of looking for my glasses in the morning and having a headache before I can find them. Contacts give me red eyes no matter how well I clean them.

I would prefer to do it with a doctor that has trained AND practiced in the states. I don't care how much it costs, just want quality.

PLEASE let me know if you know anything. It is really GREATLY appreciated.

[email protected]
mokpochica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: LASIK Reply with quote

I asked about this myself a while ago and didn't get a lot of constructive information (lots of 'you are crazy to have any medical procedure in Korea!'). I did have one poster reply who had successful LASIK here. The cost was very comprable to what I would pay in the U.S. And another said they had LASIK done in Thailand and was very happy with the results. I believe her surgery was considerable cheaper than what it would be in the U.S. or Korea. I don't know about Canada...
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 of my friends had it done here 1 was American and the other 2 Korean. No problems and they were quite happy with the results.
thinker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't do that yet even in NA, let alone korealand, my uncle had it done at a nice place and lost his night vision for a bit, having to go back and get more work done> > >i'm waiting for it to be around for another 10 years so they know all the possible long term side-effects> > > Shocked
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/02/26/laser.eye.surgery/index.html
wuzza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: re-ignite some interest in this Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting this done. Seems like a while since anyone talked about it, so are there any more stories out there yet?

My boss' wife had it done as did three of her family and they all love it. Supposedly it costs 3 mill, or thereabouts.

Any thoughts on this?
Actually I'd like to hear of anyone who's had it done in Korea or elsewhere.
katydid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my long term scope of things, thinking of big financial purchases, I would like to have laser surgery done on my eyes sometime. My questions: My eyesight corrected with glasses or contact lenses for some reason can only be corrected to 20/30. Can laser surgery fix my vision so I see perfectly?
Also, I have had what is known as a lazy eye since childhood. My contacts again seem to fix the problem when I wear them, but oh, I would feel so much better if there was a way to fix that once and for all. So, is there a way through laser surgery?
Thanks!
peppermint

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, a couple of Korean co-workers have had it done, said it was painlessand worked perfectly. I am truly tempted as there is a lasik clinic in the same building as my school.

I'm going to hold out tho, because my opthamologist in Canada has been performing the surgery and training others to do it for more than ten years. Otherwise, I would get it done here
wuzza

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of interest what's the cost in Canada, do you know?
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i asked my optomitrist about this in canada. IF he knew any good places to have it done. He said he didn't know, but that i should ask for the records that show the success rate and the rate for people needing to go back for re treatments.
I would suggest you do this with any place you want to have your eyes done at here.
JackSarang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had in done it Canada, it was $799 an eye and that was.. um.. 3 or so years ago.

I had a very mild prescription to begin with so there wasn't much to correct. My vision actually improved to 20/10 following the surgery for about a year but has since returned to 20/20.

I had zero complications and am extremely happy with getting it done.

With that said, I probably wouldn't get it done here, unless it was an extremely reputable clinic. Some Doctors here have even managed to botch the epicanthic fold surgery 80% Korea women get... so with anything, caveat emptor.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering the idea of getting Lasik surgery performed on me in Korea. Which doctors might you recommend? I had one friend in Seoul who said the operation on him went quite well. Another in vancouver said that his went abyssmally.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ryleeys

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katydid wrote:
In my long term scope of things, thinking of big financial purchases, I would like to have laser surgery done on my eyes sometime. My questions: My eyesight corrected with glasses or contact lenses for some reason can only be corrected to 20/30. Can laser surgery fix my vision so I see perfectly?
Also, I have had what is known as a lazy eye since childhood. My contacts again seem to fix the problem when I wear them, but oh, I would feel so much better if there was a way to fix that once and for all. So, is there a way through laser surgery?
Thanks!

Katy, lasiks won't fix the lazy eye thing... I've got a bit of the same problem. During my senior year of college, I got what we thought was red eye. It turned out to be a problem with my eye producing an acid that was eating away at my cornea... I ended up going blind for a month. After a strong round of anti-biotics and some time, it healed, but my right eye doesn' open quite as far as my left eye... I look sleepy now. The only way to fix it is to go to a plastic surgeon and get an eye tuck...

Come to think of it, that's common in Korea... what're the prices on eye surgery for cosmetics here?
chinook

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your lazy eye is the result of having too many muscles pulling on one side of one eye (which is what mine is), then you can have surgery to fix it buth it is a scalple in the eye, no lasers involved.

As well, my understanding is that laser eye surgery isn't permanant. It could have improved, but 6 years ago I was told that it would last about a decade and then eyesight deteriorates again.
Draven

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the surgery to fix a lazy eye. They do go through your eye to tighten the muscles at the back. The downside to this surgery is that it tends not to last. Several years later the eye is lazy again. The cool part is after the surgery they wake you up and pull on the stiches in your eyeball to align your eyes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: