Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New E-2 Guidelines????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boodleheimer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atavistic wrote:
I have a feeling a Korean just got out the thesaurus to find that word...

i had heard of it maybe 6 years ago when i was thinking about getting a czech independent contractor type visa. never thought i'd hear of it again.

i think atavistic's right. 'notary? that's such a plain word. what's something that sounds more official? apo-what? perfect!'
esetters21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday wrote:
It would also discourage hagwon from getting rid of underperforming teachers.
While no one doubts hagwon would boot abusive teachers, those coming in hung over, unprepared and unenthusiastic could be more of a problem. Schools already have a tough time shifting them because their replacement is costly, difficult and time consuming.

This was my take on the whole situation of re-signing with your current school. It seems that those who choose to do so won't be required to go through the process by these statements. Everyone else may be SOL!

We'll all have to wait and see what actually happens though. For now, it is all speculatory with some grounds for concern.
chachee99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This was my take on the whole situation of re-signing with your current school. It seems that those who choose to do so won't be required to go through the process by these statements. Everyone else may be SOL!

We'll all have to wait and see what actually happens though. For now, it is all speculatory with some grounds for concern.

I hope your statement is correct about current teachers wishing to resign with their school. I have no problems getting a criminal record check here, but travelling all the way back to Canada just to renew my visa is a crime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rusty1983

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a chore, couldnt you just wait til they get desperate and have them fast-track it for you?

There always seem to be public school jobs advertised on Daves, and more would think 'f that' with new regulations.
polonius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulsucker wrote:
MODS DO YOUR JOBS AND MAKE A STICKY OF THIS

Has anyone even heard this from a reputable source? I've heard it from supervisors, recruiters, and other teachers. Yet not ONE government official has stepped forward to make this crystal clear.

And as we all know, what we hear from ONE government official can be the complete opposite of what we hear from another.

From what I've been told, there will be a large meeting between the 19th and 22nd that will determine a lot of the new policies. What you're spouting is pure hearsay until I see it from a reputable source.

Again, mods...put up a sticky and address this.

Do these people actually think they have enough staff to handle over 10,000 interviews a year? How can they expect to handle every day business when their schedules will be booked with interviews?

Here is a reputable source, albeit in Korean, it is from the Ministry of Justice.

http://moj.korea.kr/moj/jsp/moj1_branch.jsp?_action=news_view&_property=p_sec_1&_id=155250149

These regulations haven't been passed onto Immigration yet, and I assume that there is going to have to be some give and take, as others have mentioned, embassies do not have the man power to do all those interviews.
purple crayon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I;m sorry Sad I have been away and didnt realize this has been already talked about.....my apologies.... i just wanna come back....without all this new nonsense..

what about if i send in the regular stuff before dec. 1???? even though our job wont start until jan??? would this work???
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been in korea 5 years. I have taught in a University for 4. I have a residential 2 year (31 semester hours) MA TESOL from San Jose State. I will not stay in Korea if I have to go back to the US to jump through their hoops. However, I heard rumor (many rumors going around) that someone with an MA could get an E1 and E1's dont have to jump through those hoops

anyway, whichever way it goes I willl move on rather than do all the sh_t they are suggesting
semphoon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway that we (the teachers) or our employers can protest against this? Or rather, make immigration see how stupid/impractical it would be? Sending letter/calling immigration? It would seem the earlier the pressure is applied, the better the result would be - no change in the visa requirements.
lastat06513

Location: Sensus amo Caesar , etiamnunc victus amo uni plebian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keepongoing~~

If that was true, and it could be...then it would be a great incentive for alot of folks to improve themselves to achieve it Wink

I agree that a wait-and-see attitude is best in times like these.

The only pressure that can be applied at this level would be from a head of state or maybe a foreign minister.

I recounted this story thousands of times.....
About 5 years ago, Korea tried to enact an immigration rule stating that they would only give E2 visas to people with 4-year degrees- if Korea enacted that rule, it would sideline almost every person from the commonwealth. However, the Prime Minister of New Zealand at the time intervened on behalf of her countrymen and asked Korea to scrap that plan.

So, yes there is a way to protest it, but it must be a very important person to make Korea listen.
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also be moving on if I have to go through all of this to renew my E-2 VISA next year.
Dome Vans

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New E-2 Guidelines???? Reply with quote

purple crayon wrote:
Me and the bf are coming back to Korea in Jan 08 and we have been informed that there are new E-2 visa guidelines... they are pretty intense here they are:

Dear Teachers and Schools,

In accordance with new Government immigration regulations and to qualify for a teaching visa in South Korea, it is now necessary to prepare and complete the following (if applying for the E2 visa AFTER Decmber 1st):

- Original diploma notarized at your local Government office (please see Apostile attachments)

- Sealed University transcripts

- 4 Passport Pics

- Photocopy of the picture page of your passport

- Medical report form (please see attachment)

- Police clearance form from your local police station

All applicants must also undergo an interview at the South Korean Embassy of their home country. ( This interview is in person they tell me--pretty funny how the closest to my house is eight hours away)

These additional regulations come into effect as of December 1st, 2007.

any one else hear anything about this?????

When I applied for my E-2 in June 2007. I had to go through these minus the interview. It's not really that new I suppose unless you've been here a while. A little extra effort isn't gonna break your back. If you're re-signing at the same school then none of this rigmorole.
jadarite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't they have these interviews with the teachers when they come to Korea instead? It would make more sense for the immigration office associated with the city you will be working in to know about you instead of a group back home who will never see you after you leave.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastat06513 wrote:
Keepongoing~~

If that was true, and it could be...then it would be a great incentive for alot of folks to improve themselves to achieve it Wink

Does nothing to help those of us in the middle of improving ourselves.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is an apostille?

I'm going to post this info here as well:

An apostille is a document stapled over another document that has been notarized as a true copy or sworn statement. It is a guarantee by the state/province/district that the notary who notarized the document really, really, really is a true notary properly registered with said state/province/district and really, really, really has the power to notarize/validate documents in said state/province/district.

Apostilles are not uncommon to satisfy the authentication of foreign documents for work/business overseas.

There are a lot of crooked "notaries" out there so an apostille is an extra guarantee of legitimacy.

In the US apostilles are done by the Secretary of State's office in the state where the document was notarized (and where the notary would be registered). There usually is no fee if you're willing to wait a week-10 days for them to mail back your notarized document (with an apostille). There is a fee if you want it right away, ie: walk-ins.

It sounds complicated but it's not.

Here's the info page from the Secretary of State's office for apostilles of notarized documents in Colorado:

http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/bingo_raffles/apostille.htm
Boodleheimer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd also like to point out that i've got a freaking GORGEOUS and huge degree (thank you, university of virginia) and i'll be DAMNED if anyone is going to write shit on it, staple it, or otherwise mark it in any way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 2 of 78

Jump to: