Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

only read this if you love good coffee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to be in the vicinity of Seoul you'll have access to fresh roasted beans.

Last edited by Raoul Duke on Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to buy a French Press in Seoul? Reply with quote

Bendrix wrote:
I'm wondering if I should bring my french press with me. I don't want to break it in transit, though. If they're readily available in Seoul, are they terribly pricey? OH, any information on the availability of coffee grinders would be appreciated too.

From what I understand from reading this thread is that I should bring pounds and pounds of coffee. Does anyone know how much I'm allowed to go through customs with?

coffee presses are everywhere and a two cup press will run around 35,000-40,000 won. Coffee grinders are hard to find, I scoured everyshop in one of the buildings in yongsan and could only find 2. 30,000 won each, and they wouldn't bargain.
helly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pascucci is in many locations. Jongno and Sinchon have been mentioned. There is one in the COEX Mall, where Segafredo was. One in Apkujung (Rodea Street), where Segafredo was. One in Hongdae, just out of the subway station. Just about anywhere you think you'd find a Starbucks, a Pascucci will be close by.

Look, this place is exactly the same as all other coffee-chains. Some slight variations in menu. In Pascucci's case, this represents LESS variety in styles and sizes than the rest of the pack. Not sure where you read the glowing reviews in this thread because I haven't seen much fanfare. One person was happy it was in their building but not much else. Don't get your expectations up too high.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to buy a French Press in Seoul? Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
coffee presses are everywhere and a two cup press will run around 35,000-40,000 won. Coffee grinders are hard to find, I scoured everyshop in one of the buildings in yongsan and could only find 2. 30,000 won each, and they wouldn't bargain.

Starbucks sells coffee grinders.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffee at home is okay.
drinking coffee outside at a cafe is nonsense.
why do you drink coffee outside?
is it like drinking a beer?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to buy a French Press in Seoul? Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
kimcheeking wrote:

Starbucks sells coffee grinders.

but not electric ones.. at least I haven't seen the electric ons there. Only hand grinders
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: coffee grinding Reply with quote

Hyundai department store will sell you all the coffee you want and grind it on the premises. As for coffee making machines, I don't know how easy it would be to get a percolator or espresso maker or cafeti�re or whatever so it may be worth bringing one with you.

Matt
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy any type of coffee maker percolator, press, expresso machine at carrefour, costco, I think even starbucks has them.
Starperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen plungers and things around. Don't bring one with you.

Yeah I had a cappucino at Pascucci in Sinchon yesterday. It was a bit bitter and didn't taste that good, BUT I was happy to see that it was served in a proper cup, with some good froth and a light sprinkling of chocolate powder. I'd rather have a bitter cup served properly than a better tasting one served so that it comes halfway up the side of a mug and bad froth.
The piano music was too loud and stressful.
It's the same as the other places, yes, but at least they make the effort to serve things properly.

Can't comment on the Italian food, I've only been to one Italian restaurant. That big one in Kangnam - great interior and little garden, but the pasta was average. The garlic was too sweet.
jacktar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to buy a French Press in Seoul? Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
Bendrix wrote:
I'm wondering if I should bring my french press with me. I don't want to break it in transit, though. If they're readily available in Seoul, are they terribly pricey? OH, any information on the availability of coffee grinders would be appreciated too.

From what I understand from reading this thread is that I should bring pounds and pounds of coffee. Does anyone know how much I'm allowed to go through customs with?

Dude, where are you buying your coffee? You can get a press at most shops for less than half that price.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to buy a French Press in Seoul? Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
but not electric ones.. at least I haven't seen the electric ons there. Only hand grinders

Negative. They sell black electric coffee grinders.
Starperson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a green tea latte the other day. Talk about coffee faux pas.
It was a latte with green tea powder sprinkled in it. I only bought one cos I saw a story on CNN about how it's popular in Japan. But it wasn't popular with me.
Are they meant to be like that?
I thought the idea was that instead of espresso, they put green tea.
Anyone know about this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: