Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you wear teaching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedar

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a suit. Most of my suits are hand tailored, but on lazy days I will wear clothes off the rack. But almost all of my shirts that ever see my workplace are tailored. I wear long skirts that come down to my ankles or farther (necessitating high heels) some of the time, and occassionally wear knee-length skirts if they are part of tailored suits.

My suits are mostly dark colored, except one beige summer suit. My shirts are more idividualistic, with some funky colors, fun fabrics and a variety of styles. I also use a lot of scarves, bracelets, necklaces, etc. to add creativity to my outfits.

Shoulders are strictly not appropriate in the Korean workplace.

I almost always wear high heels. I also wear at least lipstick.

On days that I want to be more comfortable I wear hanbok, traditional Korean clothes. If you wear the cotton variety it feels like you are wearing your PJs to work, but everyone "ooohs" and "aaahs" over how nice you look.

If you are going to teach corporate classes or university, this is the way you should dress. If you are going to teach hagwon, at least be clean and neat and well-pressed. The younger the kids get the more okay it is to wear tougher clothes like jeans.

Koreans put a lot of stress on how you look. They will judge you on it. So what do you want them to think of you? Dress that way.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wore a singlet the other day - and was politely told not to wear one again. I accept that, as it was a spaghetti strap singlet, and I had forgotton to grab a jacket on the way out of the house, and realised once i got to work, that i wasn't wearing much. But it was a really hot day, and they were elementary students, so they wouldn't have gotten too excited bout it. I wear a lot of sleeveless tops. Once summer really hits, i imagine that is what i will exclusively wear. I could never wear a suit to work. especially not now, far too hot.
Seatangle

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Hogwan I wear dressy-casual clothes to work, pretty much the same wardrobe as I wore back in my days as a corporate drone.

As for shoes, don't worry about them too much. But do invest in lots of good socks (or hose or whatever the kids are calling them these days) if you're in a hogwan you likely won't wear your shoes most of the day, but raggedy socks with holes in them are a definite no no.

I read similar advice when I was a newbie, and it has definitely proven true in my case, so I'm passing it along. Hope it helps.

Also, I bought my own slippers for work. The thought of sharing toe jam with countless other people was just too gross for me.

Brian
Homer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to wear clothes...I find it works for me and lowers the staring factor quite a bit in and out of class.
Clothes are also handy because they have pockets where you can put stuff.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you who wear suits, how do you do it?

I sweat like crazy with the heat/humidity here, and I'm usually wearing Khakis or shorts, with a Golf Shirt. Maybe the suits and shirts I have are not made of the best material.

How do you wear a suit and stay comfortable?
truthfulchat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: What you wear is a joke..... Reply with quote

When it comes to women teachers, standardlized dress is a joke. I seen foreign women teachers and Korean women teachers dressed in outfits exposing their body parts. Sometimes I think some of the women are crazy because we are teaching children not trying to pick up a date. Revealing clothing and short skirts just don't cut it in the teaching profession.
Adahma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hate wearing ties ...
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylehawkins2000 wrote:
Those of you who wear suits, how do you do it?

Willpower

Quote:
How do you wear a suit and stay comfortable?

I don't stay comfortable.
Chet Wautlands

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necro

Hey, just wondering what people wear when they teach.
I normally wear khakis and a sweater or button up shirt.
Anyone wear a suit? Jeans? Shorts in the summer?
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Speedos.
glassandshells

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone direct me to a site (blog or something) with pictures of what women wear to work?? i understand dress code varies from school to school, but if i could actually see what people wear, it would help a lot. thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: