Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you think of Asia and Korea before you came here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antiamerican

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Corporal"]Um Spanky...if the original poster had wanted to say "I felt allured BY" (as in enticed by or fascinated by) that would have been correct, although it is an awkward and unnatural construction. Do you know anyone who speaks like that? It is far more common to use "allure" as a noun or as an adjective, alluring. To "feel allured by" is jarring, "to feel allured to" is incorrect.

It is more important to have a natural affinity and ear for correct language usage, than it is to have a dictionary constantly by your side (as I'm sure you do). "

I'm sure you just pound away naturally, without checking your grammar like you check others' grammar. . . just like a corporal obeying his sargent.

Especially important on a forum. Give us a break.

Last edited by antiamerican on Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
PootyTang

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Koreans were some tough SOB's

Last edited by PootyTang on Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antiamerican,

No, Asia wasn't alluring to me. I have never been interested in Asia or Asians. That's not a racist statement, just a fact.

BTW, you don't need to feel sorry for me. I came with the intention of making money, and I succeeded. So I'm fine. Thanks for your concern...if that's what it was...
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the "allure" debate, wouldn't the big problem be that antiamerican used "felt" in the phrase? Just change it to "was", you've got "was allured by", it's legit, end of day!

I think I'll go correct someone's mispelling of "precedent" now...yea!
antiamerican

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporal wrote:
Antiamerican,

No, Asia wasn't alluring to me. I have never been interested in Asia or Asians. That's not a racist statement, just a fact.

BTW, you don't need to feel sorry for me. I came with the intention of making money, and I succeeded. So I'm fine. Thanks for your concern...if that's what it was...

Good for you then. But don't you glean anything from this culture and people? What inspired you to come "just to Korea?" Did you feel any affiliation with Asian people back home? I mean, come on.

Maybe if you were an engineer or businessman I could understand. They're just temporary, and can get jobs anywhere. But Asia is a specific locale that has attracted wayfarers as eccentric as Marco Polo for years, not just profesional stuffed shirts. Even my father, who was a businessman/ex-lieutenant in the PI and hereabouts and who brought home a rare beer now and then, had an attraction for "the Far East." But he couldn't see past the money. It's intriguing, captivating, mysterious, alluring, exotic, and, in my opinion, a place where people live closer to nature, which is really what enchants me.
Where else can you see elephants walking down the street but in Thailand? Where can you see people drinking snake blood but in Taiwan? Where can you see an array of open markets overflowing with 'the Good Earth" but in Korea?
Or how about the book "The Good Earth?" Ever read it, by Pearl S. Buck? Of course. Made me dream a little. Or how about Herman Hesse, whose goal was to bridge the gap between East and West with books like "Siddhartha?" Or take some of the 19th-20th century art movements in the West, which were influenced by the Orient? Are you sure you're not disillusioning yourself?
Oh well, I don't care. Maybe Korea is the last resort, but. . .Asia is a whole new world all together, and if you can't see past that, than I guess you're one of those white elephants they talk about in myths.

Last edited by antiamerican on Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antiamerican wrote:
in my opinion, a place where people live closer to nature

Hahahahhahhahahah!

Let's not mix-up traditional Asian values that heralded nature (i.e. Daoism) for today's capitalist terror in Asia.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before coming to Korea I had had two Japanese girlfriends. The sleazy sex-machine side to my nature was well satisfied and I went into university thinking "Oh boy! I'm gonna get me to Japan and be up to my nose in booty"

Coming out of university I was thinking, "Cripes! I got too much student loan! To hell with women! I'm off to Korea!"

And thus I went to Korea.

The irony of it all is that I got and girlfriend and was dead broke for most of my time in Korea. If I went to Japan, I know I'd have been lonely and rich.

I assume that counts as irony. We'll have to let the grammar/vocabulary nit-pickers take a lok at it.
weatherman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back, I don't really know what I thought about Korea, but that it was 100% different than the world I knew. I had some Korean friends in University, so they really suggested that I come and check it out. And here I still am.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't been to Asia before, wanted make some more $, and friends were already there. Didn't really give it much thought, to be honest- didn't think much about the women or the culture, just wanted to be AWAY from where I was.
antiamerican

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IconsFanatic wrote:
antiamerican wrote:

Hahahahhahhahahah!

Let's not mix-up traditional Asian values that heralded nature (i.e. Daoism) for today's capitalist terror in Asia.

Let's look, too, at the respect Buddhism teaches for every living thing and which some Koreans still have in their belief system(s), such as reverence for certain animals, protection of certain lands, and so on. Problem, too, is habitat destruction and over-population, not to mention a Korean War.
narsty dog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best thing about korea is that the people are entirely predictable compared to the UK, for instance. once you tap into their way of thinking , not difficult , you can play the game easily. Plus koreans are naive about anything outside korea, so you can grow a silly moustache tell them you're an inventor from eastern estonia , and they will believe you without question, even asking for your name card. Koreans also buy a lot of Burberry products which shows a lot of respect for British fashion . I' m glad their like to wear suits and proper shoes too. Soon they might even become gentlemen.

if you want to be popular in Korea- become a stand slapstick man, who 's good at imitating others. they' ll treat you like a prince.

PS is it still anti - american other there?
dogbert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

william beckerson wrote:
To hell with women! I'm off to Korea!"

That sure as hell counts as irony in my book!

And since we're on grammar flames, please folks, the word is "expatriate", not "expatriot". Thanks.
Cabbit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Korea with my hubby for adventure and we were not dissapointed Very Happy !!
One personal reason I had for coming here was to be in a country that has a large population of Buddhists. Being a buddhist myself I wanted to experience a culture that has a deep history of Buddhism.
I was not dissapointed at all.
I love celebrating Buddha's birthday here with the whole country, where as back home I could only celebrate with a small group of people. It is wild!!

(please forgive my writing grammar police Embarassed )
atina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Asia because I knew nothing about Asian people, their mentalityor their culture (more or less). I had Asian-CDN friends back home but that's different because they adapt to you.

I was sooooo scared before I came because with all the stories I heard from friends who had been here before me and their intense warnings that "IT'S IS NO PLACE FOR A WESTERN GIRL TO LIVE!!!" and with the generally negative attitude on the former ESL CAFE board. I thought I would be depressed the entire time I stayed here. I have a kind of half-and-half attitude now. The warnings were somewhat correct because for the most part we are treated pretty badly here but at the same time I think that it was good that I was brave and came to do what I set out to do- learn a little bit about Asia and it's cultures (cuz Korea does definitely not represent all of Asia). Now I have some appreciation for this place and the good things that it has to offer. I have met amazing Korean and foreign people here that will always be a part of my life.

So although I suffered like hell here, I don't regret coming and having the expereinces that I have had here.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antiamerican wrote:
IconsFanatic wrote:
antiamerican wrote:

Hahahahhahhahahah!

Let's look, too, at the respect Buddhism teaches for every living thing and which some Koreans still have in their belief system(s), such as reverence for certain animals, protection of certain lands, and so on. Problem, too, is habitat destruction and over-population, not to mention a Korean War.

It's a pity that vandalizing Buddhist statues and property has become a pasttime for a handful of "Christian" Koreans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: