Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

college entry exam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l0ckx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: college entry exam Reply with quote

reading the korea herald and found an article on the college entry exams. This is crazy!

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2003/11/06/200311060047.asp

"Rush-hour traffic was eased by allowing government and private company employees to report to work by 10 a.m., one hour later than usual, to help students reach the test centers at least 30 minutes before the test began at 8:40 a.m. An additional 20-30 percent of buses were put into operation, while subways ran more frequently and longer than usual. "

and

"Planes were banned from taking off or landing for two brief periods in the morning and afternoon to prevent the noise from distracting students from the listening comprehension section of the test. "

WOW, i knew they were important...but not letting planes take off or land?!

peace,
l0ckx
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how long you have been in Korea, but Su-Nung (KSAT) is the most important day in a Korean's life. They work to get to that point from early on. They have to get into a good middle school, then a good highschool, then take that test for getting into a good university.

A few teachers from my highschool had to supervise that exam. I heard one guy had a cold and was very worried that his coughing might effect some students.

They only halt flight traffic in Korea for the English listening tests. Also that paper didn't point out, usually businesses let their workers show up an hour later, so that the parents can take their kids to the test site, and ease up traffic.
l0ckx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel some-what of a fraud posting on this fourm. I'm not living in korea...nor teaching ESL. I have a one-on-one session with an exchange student, but other than that, no teaching for me...still a college student.

i'm just trying to soak up as much as i can from this forum, in hopes to get a broader picture of what to expect when i do enter the field Smile

i knew it was a big deal...but stopping plane take-offs and landings!

peace,
l0ckx
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out some of the news articles I posted in the 18yr old suicide thread.

KSAT is very very big. I bet most Koreans don't feel as nervous

a) losing their virginity
b) getting married

and all three they usually only do once Razz
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody told me about the hour delay for yesterday, so I rolled into work at around 8:50, ready to rock, only to find a near-empty school. Bloody hell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: