Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overstayed tourist vias, can't get E2 visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Overstayed tourist vias, can't get E2 visa Reply with quote

Well I guess I screwed up. I overstayed the 6 months Canadian tourist visa by a few days. I worked 4 months without the E2 and got another job October 1st but it took a while for the new boss to get through with immigration, and they won't allow an E2. So I just got the extension to stay till tomorrow and then visit Japan, and come back as a tourist again. Don't know if I'll be able to get an E2 afterwards. It looks shaky. Maybe I can get an E2 at another immigration office (the one that denied it was in Uijongbu, I'm in Ilsan). Any words of wisdom out there? Hopefully this may help someone not make my mistake.
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricky situation jajdude, and i certainly don't envy you. A new passport and a new immigration office could help things a lot.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why were you denied the E-2 Visa? We could give better advice if we knew the reason.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jajdude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, thought the reason was implied, or obvious? Immigration apparently figures someone who stays 6 months plus without any work visa is working illegally. Guess it's a pretty safe assumption. Even though they have no proof I suppose it's up to them if they don't want to grant the E2. I'm back on the tourist visa now, but not sure if I will be able to get an E2 at a new job with another immigration office. Would be good to hear from anyone who has been through this before.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you are over your visa, you are illegal correct?

Sound like something a trip to japan and back might solve...but then again they might wonder why you keep coming in on tourist visas.

I had a friend who had something like this, they just said they were engaged and preparing for the wedding. The immigration guy let it slide with a fine.
bjonothan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first came to Korea I came in on a tourist visa and stayed with a host family. Afterwards the brother and sister had a huge fight and I had to look for a job so I could stay in Korea. I went to Japan and came back on a tourist visa and worked for another year and a half. When the world cup was starting they had an amnesty. I left without any problems and went back to Aus. for a year and then came back on an E-2. It was passed without any problems. When I registered with immigration as being an illegal they were astonished than an Aussie would want to stay here. It was embarassing but I got my E-2 no worries at all........
Don't worry I did it so you shouldbe able to as well......
If you can't try a different office.....
The Daegu one is sweet.......
Starperson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight, you overstayed a six-month tourist visa, and then they let you back in on another tourist visa?
jajdude

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct Starperson. That is exactly what they did for me. Don't really understand why no E2 though.
Starperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy!
jajdude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry did forget to mention that I did get a stamp paid for saying I was allowed to leave on the day I did; a few days over 6 months that is. For Canadians is it actually 6 months, or 180 days (a few days shorter)? My passport has always said 6 months but I heard others say it's actually 180 days. Also I wonder how much that visitor visa extension (or overstay fine?) cost? My boss paid for it, but then he deducted the plane ticket and more from my pay. Can't work there anymore, and feel ripped off, but then I guess that's the price of being illegal anway.... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: