Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resolve Disputes Instead of Bashing Schools!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Resolve Disputes Instead of Bashing Schools! Reply with quote

As a (better) alternative, please visit www.esljudge.com

This website offers a free mediation service to resolve disputes between schools and teachers. You can also rate schools in countries around the world.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, just curious... is this just an informational post about a good website, or are warnings on this site about particular schools in Korea now frowned on?
Julius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Dave is horrified at the monster he has created. he's washing his hands of us now.
Its probably quite normal for anyone who has not worked in a korean hogwon to be amazed and unbelieving at how angry teachers here seem to be or the problems they have to deal with...
winterwawa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, Mr. Sperling has never taught in Korea. And, just so you know, it isn't just Hagwons. There are universities in Korea that are just as bad as hagwons.

Edited: Did you check out the website? What a joke?
sojourner1

Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem lies in many unethical business practices existing in the big free for all thinking of Korea where people of power just invent laws themselves and pay bribes to get away with illegal operations. Many foreign teachers complained and blacklisted hagwons, not because they are immature young adults, but because they are being taken advantage of at the last moment in their contracts. Where they fulfill the contract and the school doesn't pay the final pay, severance, and airfare while giving them a ridiculous hard way to go in their final month with false parent complaints and denigration.

I am a matured 35 year old and I will not hesitate to speak the truth should my school not follow through with the provisions of the contract since I am doing my job to the best of my abilities, have been good enough for 11 solid months for them, and paid my dues in a Korean hagwon for I deserve what I earned. I will not hesitate to tell them they are wrong and then publicize on the Internet via another site and setting up my own site so it comes up when prospective teachers run a search on the hagwon name.

It really is a tough game of business for teachers in Korea as we are discovering. Many don't come back while they will say negative things about Korea for a lifetime due to being put between a rock and a hard place with finances as a result of such corrupt business practices. Korea needs to shape up it's hagwon industry and have swift and enforceable labor law that meets the needs of foreign employees who are scheduled to fly shortly after they find their contracts are not being honored by their employers. Not all schools and directors are bad, but a fair number of them sure test if teachers are fair game for not being paid and many play corruptly unfair.

I sure hope Korea corrects it's flawed private education system and engages swift business and labor laws in a strict fashion or it will lose in the long run. I think the new visa regulations will help as well as all the re-evaluations of the whole model that are currently occurring. Schools who do bad things to teachers do lose more in the long run than it would cost to pay the severance, final months pay, and airfare as stated in a teaching contract.
garykasparov

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT

Last edited by garykasparov on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kermo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the idea is to come to Korea and get a job at a bad school, then ask three strangers to sort it out for you?
crusher_of_heads

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kermo wrote:
So, the idea is to come to Korea and get a job at a bad school, then ask three strangers to sort it out for you?

I met the teacher who was being "let go" by her hagwon for not being loving enough while watchng the Grey Cup game Monday in Hongdae.

Yes, those straight out of uni have to show some stell-but being let go-a nice enough girl, but hates Korea and thinks most Koreans are...unsavoury.

When I got here in September, even though they knew for awhile I was coming, apartment wasn't ready-I had a choice of 3. My first night was in a motel-no problem. After chosing the building location, the apartment in that building wasn't ready, as it's a new building-but a unit was finsihed and I was offerred that for a night-it was completely empty.

"I'm not sleeping on the floor." School paid for the 2nd night in a motel, and the next day the apartment was fully furnished and cleaned. Not everyone knows enough to be a hardas s right after getting off the plane-but these people who think in the collective need to realise is that the more they [like, say, ] rips people off, the worse light Korea is seen in.

ALL KOREANS, not just owners and directors.

I haven't had to deal with such nonsense, but meeting said teacher Monday-there's one permanetly alienated and ticked off expat-and she's a nice enough girl-even though she was cheering for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.Stupid Lowlife Professional hogwan.
Metsuke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Resolve Disputes Instead of Bashing Schools! Reply with quote

sperling wrote:

This website offers a free mediation service to resolve disputes between schools and teachers. You can also rate schools in countries around the world.

The truth about Korea hurting your revenues Dave?
bignate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Hagwon monkeys! You know it isn't polite to complain........!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Kim Jong Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, what hagwon owner who is trying to rip off someone for a few grand is going to go to a website and have the "dispute" mediated by strangers? half the owners probably won't even understand the English. Thanks for the laughs today Mr. Sperling..... Rolling Eyes
Dan The Chainsawman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we go back to finding out the best place to solicit whores then if we can't complain about our crappy hogwans?
Dan The Chainsawman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Resolve Disputes Instead of Bashing Schools! Reply with quote

sperling wrote:

:ASSCLOWN:

Crap.. damn emoticons don't work on this shite forum.
SuperFly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kermo wrote:

Laughing
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.S.,

Hagweon owners, directors, and managers aren't even worried about what their own government requires them to do. What makes you think they're going to agree to follow a mere suggestion from a panel that has no enforcement powers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: