Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acupunture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merryprankster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Acupunture Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything about acupuncture in Seoul? I'm hoping to find someone who speaks English, at least minimully, and someone who has a good repuation.

Also, I'd appreciate any stories/information about experiences with this type of medicine in Korea. I've never tried it out before, but am really interested in doing so.

Thanks
t bear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent had it done personally, but my mum has and she said it was great. Helped out her sore back and circulatiuon problems, always had cold hands and feet. This was in NZ though. From what Ive heard of acupuncture it sounds quite effective. What are you getting it for?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it done here, but it didn't help me. The doctor said it probably wouldn't help but I did it anyhow as the western medicine wasn't working either.

You want to go to a ���ǿ�. These doctors actually study for a full medical degree and then do a further 2 years of study to be certified in oriental medicine. I know this 'cause a girl in my church is in her final year of studies.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had accupuncture on a niggling achilles injury. A month of regular physical therapy (6 times a week) didn't help, steroids helped for a little while but the injury returned, about a month of accupuncture (4 or 5 times per week) has helped stop me walking like a crab! Very Happy
Confused Canadian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in for acupuncture a number of times. Often, when I get stressed out, my shoulders, neck, and upper back get really tense. After an acupuncture session, I feel much better.

I also had acupuncture when I through out my back (lifting a heavy table by myself...stupid!). The day it happened, I could barely walk to the acupuncture clinic. After a week of treatment, I was as good as new.

I also used acupuncture to treat a recurring elbow problem (I broke it back in university, and it "acts up" once in a while). Again, it worked like a charm. A week or so of treatment, and I was good to go.

Don't know when I'll be heading back home, but I'll be looking for an acupuncture clinic in the neighborhood.

Confused Canadian
Odysseus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received accupunture at Kyung Hee University in Seoul. They use clean needles (very important) and their school of oriental medicine has an excellent international reputation.

The treatments were very beneficial! Good luck!
Mr. Kalgukshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Works For Me Reply with quote

It works.

At least, it works for me. I had it done many times when I was in Korea.

In fact, I'm having it done this afternoon. The doctor treats me in my apartment, just to save me the trip to the hospital.

The comment about clean needles is a must. In some places, you actually buy your own set. The needles are used for repeated treatments, and they are used only on you.

Don't know about the comment regarding the licensing requirements of OMDs, but you do want to make sure you are dealing with a physician as opposed to someone who happens to have a couple of needles and likes sticking them in people.

One thing about acupuncture is that it does often require repeated visits before you start seeing definite improvement. But when there is improvement, it can be dramatic.

Finally, it isn't just the acupuncture from which you benefit. It can be the different herbal remedies dispensed to you by the OMD. In my experience, they can be very beneficial in improving general health.

When you get to the point where you fall asleep while undergoing acupuncture, you know you are totally into Oriental Medicine. Smile

Good luck.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it done but it didn't work; In all fairness I have to say that the doctor told me before-hand that it probably wouldn't work for the condition I had, but he was willing to give it a try- anyway, it was certainly a neat experience. The guy did have minimal English, but is located in Bundang.
SweetLou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does a treatment cost? I'm interested in trying it out to work on a knee problem, as well as for any overall health benefits it can give....

Thanks,

-SL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: