Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean newspapers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weatherman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Korean newspapers Reply with quote

When I got of the plane in 96 I found that the Korea Herald was more conservative than the Korea Times, but these days (really the last two years) the Korea Times seems much more objective than the Herald, and the Herald seems to be more and more kissing arse to civic groups and the Noh crowd. I wonder if Korea will ever really get objective, tell both sides of the issue journalism, for the English speaking community? I know the Joongang English daily does a good job, but I seem to hope for better.
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean Newspapers bite my as*

Other Asian Countries, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, all have good meaty Newspapers that take longer than 5 minutes to read.
Hotuk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - the KH and KJ are pretty lame compared to the Japan Times, Hong Kong's South China Morning Post, the Bangkok Post and Thailand's The Nation, and Singapore/Kuala Lumpur's Strait Times. All of these papers are weighty both in size and in authority and influence.

And that editorial writer at the KH these days - a good argument could be made about whether she's representative of a leftist bent in the Korean media these days, or if she's a former radical student wingnut now enjoying a position of power. The KH is a waste of trees.

Except Cho Se-Hyun's Seoul Searcher. He's too good for that bunch.
denz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: yesh well Reply with quote

randall - man, the hangul version of the chosun ilbo would take me a great deal longer than 5 minutes to read ; )

besides, this topic is too on-topic for the off-topic board. i suggest deletion. mods - sieze him!

denz
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The English version of Busan Ilbo (online only) ain't too bad...
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself somewhat liberal but I wouldn't touch the Herald except to laugh at the editorials. The new editoratrix is certainly either a confirmed leftie or an anti-American bandwagon jumper. Either way, I only go for the Chosun Ilbo on-line. It may be conservative, but from what I've seen its far more fair in its coverage than the other English-language dailies.
antiamerican

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KH is a waste of paper. It is so biased I don't even read it anymore. I wonder what crowd of people they're catering to, and why. Seems the pro-Koreans somewhere or another are the only ones that will read it nowadays. I think the intellectuals here are to blame, and have a anti-American mindset.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe KH was conservative at one point? I'm shocked.. It is the most left-wing paper I think i've come across. I personally find it entertaining at times, while the Korea Times is just plain boring. At least the Herald's editorials can give me a laugh or two; the KT simply puts me to sleep. The Seoul Searcher column on Tuesdays is very good as well.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at archive.org's collection of old KH issues. They have some from the summer of 1997, back when the government was cracking down on Hanchonryon. The KH's editorials were *very* pro-government (Kim YS at the time), anti-NK, and anti-student radical.

Oh how times have changed.
weatherman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Herald has gone through a change in ownership at least once, and I think is why the paper has a new direction. What worries me really is the state of journalism in Korea. Journalism is often seen as a stepping stone to politics, and often journalist get kickbacks from politicians and businesses to write favorable stories. Also I feel Korean journalist think that they are on a Korean crusade to hide the rot in society with propaganda about how great Korea is in this and that.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both papers are lousy, the Times seems more anti-american than the Herald IMHO though the news sections are virtually identical. I only read them for the op-ed pages, the Herald's Sat supplement from the Independent and the comics. I wish they would run Boondocks though Crying or Very sad

When I'm in Seoul though I go for the Int Herald Tribune. much much better than the other papers since they carry the NY Times columnists and editorials and the Korean section is pretty good. Just wish you could get it the same day outside of Seoul, I would drop both papers if I could.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: