Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting a korean motorbike licence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: getting a korean motorbike licence Reply with quote

Anyone know how to get a Korean motorbike licence for a bike over 125cc? (I have a foreign and Korean car licence.) I'm also wondering about lessons (in English). Thanks!
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign 2 wheel license?

As for Korean DL, that will suffice for the written test, in that....you won't have to take it. However, you've still to complete the driving test.

It amazes me how many kniggits fail that test. Oh, you can't practice for it, unless you pay 2-300,000 won for a driver's school (if you've one in your area).

Just go to your local DMV and fill out a form to take the test (a whopping 5,000 won...at least in my area), and perform the track. You'll have a KDL for motorcycles in an hour.

Shoosh,

Ryst
Derrek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the few non-military foreigners that actually obtained a legal Motorcycle/Car Drivers license without taking a test. I went thru hell to get it though. If it's just that easy to take a test and get one, then just do that.

My USA license is a motorcycle one. I've ridden for about 6 years now. Had all kinds of fast bikes and street bikes. I used to work at a motorcycle shop.

I tried to get it at the Kangnam license office, but they said I needed the US Embassy (other side of city) to fill out a form stating that my license was real. I went to the embassy, and they had never heard of such a thing! The best they could do was charge me 30,000 won or so for an embossed statement that I swore (and they agreed) that my license information was accurate and correct. I had to hand-write the statement right there, and it looked cheezy! They circle-stapled it with a photocopy of my license, and embossed the first page. I wish they had embossed it all.

I took this to the Kangnam license office, and they accused me of falsifying/modifying a document. The woman accused me, then called over the security guard, who picked at the staple to see if I'd played with it. They passed it around the office, and shook their heads.

I was pissed. I rarely lose my temper in public in Korea, but this one made me blow my top. I made a bit of a scene, and the lady finally just gave in and gave me my new license. The only difference in it as far as I can see is a little extra type in the upper left corner that verifies it for motorcycle too.

I am told that if you are military, you can get it all done quick and easy on base.

I got pulled over for the first time last week. I had no helmet, and they were in the middle of a "scooter sting", as I call them (this means waiting at the side of the road and stepping out to stop all scooters and check information). They about crapped when they saw I had an actual license. They let me go when I told them I was an English teacher, and was just going a short distance. Also, I was getting out my helmet and putting it on at the time, while apologizing a lot, so they let me go. The young guy wasn't going to do it, but the old guy told him to just let me go.
penguin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ryst & Derrek,

Actually got the Korean DL (class 2, car only) with much less trouble, guess it depends on who's behind the counter.

Ryst, have you actually taken the test? Can you do it at the Kangnam office? Are there any quirky things to know? This might be a dumb question, but do you use your own bike (in which case, how can you justify driving it to the test without a licence??) or do they have some kind of test bike?

Cheers
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin wrote:
Thanks Ryst & Derrek,

Actually got the Korean DL (class 2, car only) with much less trouble, guess it depends on who's behind the counter.

Ryst, have you actually taken the test? Can you do it at the Kangnam office? Are there any quirky things to know? This might be a dumb question, but do you use your own bike (in which case, how can you justify driving it to the test without a licence??) or do they have some kind of test bike?

Cheers

Yes, I took the driving test...and that's all you'll need (as you've already a KDL).

The test is conducted on a standard course. Kinda hard to explain...

Four part test that must be completed smoothly, and not hitting any edges of the course (sensitive rubber edging that'll buzz if you nick it)...however, you can make on mistake and pass (but if your foot/feet touch the the ground...automatic failure.

1st: a "z" form with two 90 degree turns (about a metre in width) 1.5mX4mX1.5m (ish)

2nd: an "s" form with 'smooth' transitions about 10 metres long

3rd: a straight away about 20 metres and about half metre wide

4th: road width straight away with 4 cones on the left, then 4 on the right, then left, then right (at about 3 metre distance from each other) You have to swerve in and out here.

Bike used? A Honda quasi-crotch rocket 400cc

Really bloddy easy, but so many fail, so I s'pose it depends on your ability.

Drive it to the test centre, I don't think they give a toss....made me laugh to see 50 bikes there on test day....when only 20 passed (out of a hundred)

Shoosh,

Ryst
penguin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed info! I'll give it a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: