Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gimme gimme codeine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starperson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: gimme gimme codeine Reply with quote

I'm sick of not having tablets that have a small amount of codeine in them for the occasional headache or backache and now the flu.
Does anyone know where I can get some?
This morning I woke up with a painful flu, remembered that I had two cold and flu tablets from home that I thought I'd never need and took them. What a relief. Tylenol doesn't ring my bell.
Starperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody knows?
Or have the high-horses come out to play?
erlyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an over-the-counter brand that contains codeine? Because most of the black market types will resell over-the-counter meds from the US base. I don't know myself, since Ibuprofen usually does it for me...

If so, you might try the black market in Namdaemun Market, or in the bottom of the Volvo building near the Hangangjin stop (just past Itaewon). There's a guy just in the front Hannam market there that resells a lot of stuff off the US base. I'm pretty sure he takes requests. That's where I got Advil (which is Ibuprofen, not codeine, but again, if you had a specific brand in mind, they might be able to get it for you).

Other than than, is there no equivalent Korean drug? If you have recurring back pain, you might be able to ask a doctor here to prescribe something for you. I asked my boss if I could get a Korean brand of Ibuprofen, and she set me up with a similar (and much cheaper) pill that I could ask the pharmacist for.

I sympathize. I broke a couple of fingers last spring, and now I don't even have to open my eyes in the morning to know whether it's rainy or sunny - if I can't bend my fingers, I know it's raining. Pain is more enjoyable when you can dull it.
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: gimme gimme codeine Reply with quote

Starperson wrote:
I'm sick of not having tablets that have a small amount of codeine in them for the occasional headache or backache and now the flu.
Does anyone know where I can get some?
This morning I woke up with a painful flu, remembered that I had two cold and flu tablets from home that I thought I'd never need and took them. What a relief. Tylenol doesn't ring my bell.

I am assuming you got those 2 pills from a doctor in your home country. Well, then I suggest you do the same thing here. That is, see a Korean doctor and get a prescription for codeine. And lay off the tylenol. Basically all it is is a placebo that can cause very bad liver dammage. Get codeine alone and take it with aspirin.
Starperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the directions...never thought I'd use the blackmarket.
The thing is, codeine is illegal in Korea. Apparently they see codeine as addictive. Which was brought up by my boyfriend as I went to a pharmacy to ask for codeine. I just pointed to the cigarette in his hand.

In Australia you don't need a prescription.
The painkillers go like this:
1 - paracetamol
2 - paracetamol with a bit of codeine, hence, 'Panadeine'. No prescription needed.
3 - paracetamol with enough codeine to make you forget your pain and what month it is -> "Panadeine Forte'. This is where you need a prescription. I've only taken this once for a broken (crushed) finger. Yes, broken fingers are reeeally painful.

Also there is ibuprofen mixed with a bit of codeine - no prescription needed.

We don't have Tylenol in Australia. That I know of. Well of course we probably do, but it's not a common painkiller. For obvious reasons - it doesn't work.

Well I guess I'm off to Namdaemun next time.
lush72

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Dont bother going Reply with quote

Starperson wrote:
Well I guess I'm off to Namdaemun next time.

You CANNOT buy codeine over the counter on any US Military base or in the US for that matter. So the blackmarket wont have it. Unless you find a drug dealer willing to deal to you, your chances of getting this at the blackmarket are slim to none.

Why not just go to a Korean doctor and get the meds you need? I strongly dislike flying and I get Xanax from my doctor every time I fly- no problem at all.
Starperson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe I should go to a doctor. I just don't want something really strong. I don't like to take medicine when I don't know exactly what it is and what it'll do to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: