Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Credit cards for 'Professors'?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Credit cards for 'Professors'? Reply with quote

I am going to be working in a University next year so I'm wondering if University teachers get considered for credit cards, compared to Hagwon teachers who just get turned down point-blank??

Do you have to have a financial guarantor employed by the University/Korean friend?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this out about a week or two ago from my local Kookmin Bank manager. The answer is yes, with a catch: You need to be still in the country for at least a year, according to your visa. Which means if it's 6 months left in your 1 year contract, they won't give you a card. If you go at the beginning of your contract (or when you renew your visa for another year), then yes. They told me I didn't need a Korean cosign.

You'll have to get the school to deposit your pay into the bank of the credit card (you might already be doing this- I was). You'll also have to submit to the bank a Statement of Employment from the school (a common Korean document), as well as your health insurance, to show you're gainfully employed.

All of this is to say, I didn't get the card, because I'm midway through my visa. But this is not a large problem - we put it in my wife's name, and I use that, when I don't want to use my Canadian cards. No one cares (in Korea) that it's not my name on it.
dutchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such requirements with the Samsung card. I have an Amex card from them and they have since offered me a Master Card too. Check out this link: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=9226&highlight=samsung+credit+card
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AmX card? I was told by three different people at AmX that "NO card" unless you have been at the same place for at least one year. Another words, one year into your contract, no card. Sign on for a second year at the same place and they might. Prove me wrong someone. If you have the AmX card and you applied out of the blue, new job, etc. how did you get one? Now, the banks will issue Visa cards to non koreans who just started working at hokwons but Samsung AmX won't. A few people I know who already have American express cards were also told the same thing! Go figure. The story was " too many people don't pay their bills and skip town!" I came right back at them and told them that koreans are the ones sticking the banks for non payments of Visa cards! According to the newspapers everyday, millions of koreans own the banks and are not paying! They didn't want to hear that though.
Gord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
I came right back at them and told them that koreans are the ones sticking the banks for non payments of Visa cards! According to the newspapers everyday, millions of koreans own the banks and are not paying! They didn't want to hear that though.

But they can sue the people and try to recover the money if they so desire or do a seizure, as well as shoot up a person's credit history. Both serving as incentives to not do anything stupid and to actually try to repay the bills. But for a foreigner, they can rack up a huge bill and depart with no penalty.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I phone up the Amex/Samsung card company in the first year of my university job I can I get a card? If you are a Uni teacher does it matter when you phone up the Samsung card, i.e. do you need a year on your visa if you are a Uni teacher?

P.S. thanks for the info Dutchman.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my uni, the bank that we use is willing to give all of the profs in the English Dept. a BC Visa card. It's good for one year. Very kind of them.

Also, at the uni. some lady has been coming around trying to sign me up to a Samsung Card. Not sure yet if I want it or not.

Cheers!
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mankind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which means if it's 6 months left in your 1 year contract, they won't give you a card

Not quite Lemon. What they do is give you a card that has 6 months until it expires. Although it helps to be friends with someone at the bank, who is willing to do the paper work for you.

HAND Smile
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

screw that one year stuff. my samsung amex and my samsung visa are internationally good till 2008.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Pyongshin,

Did your credit limit go up every few months and by how much? Did you spend alot on your card?

Is a BC card a credit card?
dogbert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this Samsung Amex? My Korean Amex was issued by Tongyang, which was taken over by Lotte so it's now a Lotte-branded Amex.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, a bc card is a credit card. not sure if it is international or not.my credit limit going up? not sure, have only had it two months.presumably it will. it is at 2 million won credit, with a 500000 cash advance possible on top of that. has to be paid off in full every month though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: