Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refried beans!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DF10

Location: Ecuador...until April 1...then back to the Soul of Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Refried beans! Reply with quote

I am desperate for refried beans. Anyone know where I can get a can for less than $10 US? Or I can make them myself, if anyone knows where to get dry pinto beans. I have seen every other kind of bean...where are the pintos?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: refried beans Reply with quote

You can occasionally get cans of Old El Paso refried beans at the Red Door in Itaewon (from the three-way intersection in front of the Hamilton Hotel, walk down the shaft of the 'T' on the Burger King side. You'll pass by an antique furniture store or two and eventually you'll find a little store with a red doorframe. That's the place.)
You can also buy pinto beans at many of the various open markets. The best price I've found is at the market across from the world cup stadium.
Dazed and Confused

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get refried beans from the Mexicale Rose company. They're freeze dried and don't weigh as much as the cans. Have them shipped over here or to someone in the states who can forward them for you.
http://mexicalirose.com/

beans, beans, the musical fruit..................
rachel phillips

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: rachel phillips Reply with quote

I don't know if they are really pinto beans, but I usually find something that looks and tastes like them in grain-vendor's stalls in the traditional markets, and in bags in larger supermarkets. I've also found kidney beans in those places, and they make fair refried beans. I like turtle beans cooked like that too, even though they never get mushy enough.
angela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco. There are about 3 here in Seoul that I know of. Ask your school to take you, they might have a card. One of them is near Mokpo, another on the number 7 Green line but I forget the stop, and another out south near the Seoul Art Center. The one out south is the best, two floors with wines, cheese, excelleent US beef, etc etc. Well worth the trip. They even have those massive trays of muffins like they sell in US/Canada. They have TIDE, western cereals like cheerios, clothing but small sizes, some books, sometimes they even have dill pickles. I can give more details as per location tomorrow, sorry I don't have my maps with me right now. The prices are good too. With the price of beef so high right now, I am thinking of checking out Costco this weekend to see what they are charging. Their chicken breast packages are excellent too, but you would need an empty freezer. I found them to be really fresh. They also had organic meat, eggs at one time. Expensive though, esp the meat.
Lucidmike78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angela wrote:
Costco. There are about 3 here in Seoul that I know of. Ask your school to take you, they might have a card. One of them is near Mokpo, another on the number 7 Green line but I forget the stop, and another out south near the Seoul Art Center. The one out south is the best, two floors with wines, cheese, excelleent US beef, etc etc. Well worth the trip. They even have those massive trays of muffins like they sell in US/Canada. They have TIDE, western cereals like cheerios, clothing but small sizes, some books, sometimes they even have dill pickles. I can give more details as per location tomorrow, sorry I don't have my maps with me right now. The prices are good too. With the price of beef so high right now, I am thinking of checking out Costco this weekend to see what they are charging. Their chicken breast packages are excellent too, but you would need an empty freezer. I found them to be really fresh. They also had organic meat, eggs at one time. Expensive though, esp the meat.

I know it's an old thread but locating hard to find ingredients have become a hobby of mine in Korea.

For refried beans, I'll have to look again in Costco, but if you are near a Lotte Department store, and there is a market inside, you can sometimes fine cans of pinto beans, and if you're really lucky, you can find La Costena refried beans.

Also, Kim's Club usually has cans of pinto beans.

I personally prefer pinto beans and I make the refried beans myself. I slowly melt smoked bacon strips until all the fat is liquid (you want the fat drippings, eat the bacon on the side if you wish), then I finely chop and sautee a whole bulb of garlic until it's like crispy golden brown. Use 1/2-whole can of liquid with the beans. A good amount of fresh ground pepper. It will be better than any refried beans out of a can. It's a recipe by Rick Bayless.

If you want to go a little healthier, you can substitute olive oil instead of bacon drippings, and some mexican seasonings which can also be found in the Lotte Department Store supermarket.

Now that you know how to always get amazing refried beans in Korea, the info I'm looking for is a place to get dry pinto beans in Korea. If anyone can chime in, that'd be great. Another item I have yet to find also is long grain rice (jasmine rice) that's usually served with Vietnamese and Thai food.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often make homemade beans, but I usually keep a few cans handy for when I don't have time. I get them from iherb.com for just under $3 each.
http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=refried+beans&x=0&y=0#p=1
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in Seoul, everything listed above is available at the Foreign Food Market in Itaewon....arm and a leg, but it's there.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is 11 years old!
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt know Costco was here back in '03...
Lucidmike78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips! always good to know new sources for hard to find ingredients.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all." -MH
dairyairy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know what you're going to miss from home.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Love Cookie usually has them. I've only seen baked beans at Costco but wasn't really looking for refried.

But why cook when you can just go to Taco Bell? Besides, isn't it about time for a new Taco Bell love/hate thread?
I-am-me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get them near the AF base in Songtan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: