Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medical Insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Medical Insurance Reply with quote

Has anyone taken out their own medical insurance policy in Korea? If so, I would appreciate any relevant websites or contacts.

I am moving to Korea not to teach English but to study Korean, hence I wont have an employer supplying the policy.
The Donkey

Location: Somewhere drinking, smoking and using foul language

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

You might want to check out Travellers Insurance. It isnt too expensive and it is pretty comprehensive. Do a search online and see what you come up with. Lonelyplanet.com might be a good place to check out as well.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: insurance Reply with quote

multinational underwriters, inc...that's where you need to go...they are a correspondent of lloyd's

1800-605-2282

it's cheap and comprehensive.....will even cover skiing!! (important this time of year)

no, i don't work for them!!! Wink
Seon-bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: insurance Reply with quote

Government medical insurance is indeed available to you as a student. As long as you have a vaild student visa you're entitled to it. It's also available to you at a reduced cost since you have no job.

Once you arrive in Korea go to your nearest medical insurance office and apply. I did it and it was about 20,000 per month.

Go to www.nhic.or.kr for further information.
another old hand vet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest you stay away from Korean hospitals and doctors. Most Korean doctors still believe sleeping in a closed room with the fan pointed on you can result in your death (don't believe me, ask a Korean doctor that question for yourself).

I would also strongly recommend using Samsung Medical Center International Clinic , as the physician there is a NYS board certified doctor. The problem is they DON'T accept Korean health insurance, so your employee sponsored health insurance is worthless.

If you become seriously ill in Korea, you really have two choices:

If you are Canadian ( or live in some other country of socialized medicine), you can simply go back to your country if you become ill.

If you are American, you can go to Thailand for quality treatment that would cost you less than the premiums for your health care plan.

Either way, it doesn't really make sense to spend a lot of money for medical insurance, especially if you are in reasonably good health at present.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: whoah there pardner! Reply with quote

don't need medical insurance?? a broken leg could cost you several million won (several thousand dollars) without insurance. a buddy of mine in japan broke his leg while skiing. he was in the hospital for quite some time...they presented him with a bill totalling almost 5 thousand dollars...he didn't have the money to pay it, so he bailed...not cool in my estimation, but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do....

if you plan on hiking, skiing, or doing any other vigorous physical activity you had better get yourself insurance, regardless of where it's from!! [/list][/list][/quote]
another old hand vet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: reply to mack the knife Reply with quote

" a buddy of mine in japan broke his leg while skiing. he was in the hospital for quite some time."

We're talking about KOREA, not Japan.

Given the costs of health care at Samsung ( the only place I would ever go to in Korea), the vast majority of people are much better off following my advice. Of course, I wouldn't be engaging in reckless behavior like skiing or motorcycling either.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: you can always choose which hospital? Reply with quote

what if you are incapacitated and can't choose where you want to go?
a one night stay in a hospital will run you quite a chunk of change without insurance...and...even minor surgery is not cheap...and...the cost depends on whether or not they have shared rooms available...no shared rooms available and you'll be @#$%-out-of-luck without insurance...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: