Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL Online
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoul Newfie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: TESOL Online Reply with quote

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get my TESOL certificate online? I am teaching in Korea, and would like to do it over the net or correspondence, while continuing to work here.

Why you ask? I have found in 2 years here and schools are willing to offer a little more money if you have the certificate. And, well, I LOVE money Very Happy
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online certificates are not worth much. I know, I have one. What you might consider doing is getting an MA via distance. there are a number of universities that offer them. This is a considerable investment in time and money but will be worth it in the long run. I am currently mid MA.
Seoul Newfie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I had thought about doing some schooling via distance. But was not sure what my options are. I have a BSc, not BA. So getting my MA is not really feasible.

Wish there was a creditable way to get a BEd while still working in Korea. Now there is a question! Is it possible to get your BEd while working in Korea? Anyone know?

Thanks!
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoul Newfie wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I had thought about doing some schooling via distance. But was not sure what my options are. I have a BSc, not BA. So getting my MA is not really feasible.

Actually I am doing my MA throught Maquarie University. Part of their qualifications are experience. If you have experience and good recommendation you may get in. It would probably be worth your while getting a Cambridge RSA cert if you have time, as that would also help you both to get accepted and increasing your qualifications as a teacher.
happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: I did this one Reply with quote

This is a good one cos they'll express courier you the certificate at no extra charge
http://www.teflcenter.com
cheers
meatball

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try

www.mytesl.com

cheap and quick!
santalucia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Try Oxford Solutions Effective Teaching for Young Learners Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm a CELTA qualified teacher. I'm doing Oxford University Press' Young Learners certificates. There are two parts - One for teaching K-12s and one for pre-teen and teens. It's designed for Teachers in Korea and offers real, practical classroom solutions and relevent theory for teachers of young learners. Both course cost KRW 100,000, and I would say they are worth the money. I'm doing them because my CELTA didn't cover much young learner teaching strategies (although its great for making you a better teacher for all ages), and I needed practical solutions for my young learners.

If you are looking for a quality "quick fix" to help you teach kids better, then this is the way to go. You get a certifticate from Oxford Unversity Press for each course, and this is a department of the University of Oxford. Even though the course is designed to "plug" Oxford books (they are the best in the world anyway) it offers real solutions for your classroom that you can adapt even if you are not using oxford books. It's not a globally recognised online TEFL (as far as I know, there are none part from Trinty and Cambridge Certs, but I cant fault the quality of online tution, and it is consistant to the standards demanded by the British Council. A good way of improving your teaching without breaking the bank.

http://www.oxford.co.kr/eng/pr/wmv.html
Alexander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not a globally recognised online TEFL (as far as I know, there are none part from Trinty and Cambridge Certs, but I cant fault the quality of online tution, and it is consistant to the standards demanded by the British Council

It certainly looks interesting. However, I can't seem to work out, from the rather basic information provided on the site, what the end result is.

What certificates are granted at the end of each unit? How many hours are involved and, importantly, can they be used in conjunction as a 100+ hour TEFL certification? If not, then the value, in real terms, is greatly diminished.

There is plenty of discussion on these boards regarding online TEFL courses that do result in a 100+ hour certificate. Many of those courses, whilst not "internationally accredited," are highly regarded. Perhaps more importantly, ALL of them will result in the above certificate, and a wage bump for those in the public system.

Oxford is, of course, well regarded. If the courses you are talking about meet the 100+ hour criteria, I'll jump on it. If they don't, however, it would be prudent to warn people of that fact before they enrol.
nobbyken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done an i-to-i.com 60-hour course while in the UK (�242).
Prepared me somewhat and instilled belief that I could teach English to foreign learners.

I then done 2 x 20-hour courses with LTTC (London Teacher Training College, �75+�75) to get my training hours to 100, as advised by staff at Gepik.

Couldn't fault any of these online courses, and of course they aren't rocket science to a native speaker.

Worth it if staying a a year or more.
Adahma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Is it better to get a certificate before trying to get a job for the first time?
merochi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just completed a course through ITTT. they send you all the course work via email and you have to complete about 20 chapters then take a test. one of the units does include a cd/video download portion.

i did the option without tutor support and it was totally fine.
kimmyfeltham

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think www.serioustefl.com is an excellent course.
Shredd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

Adahma wrote:
Is it better to get a certificate before trying to get a job for the first time?

on a similar note, if you receive a 100 + hour certification mid contract is it possible to boost your pay rate at public school?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

Shredd wrote:
Adahma wrote:

on a similar note, if you receive a 100 + hour certification mid contract is it possible to boost your pay rate at public school?

Yes. Your salary will bump up in the month following your completion of the TESOL certification.

You should have a clause similar to this one (from the GEPIK contract) in your contract.

9. If Employee obtains further qualifications such as a Masters degree or TESOL certificate with over 100 course-hours during the contract term, the elevation of the level and raise in salary, if applicable, may take place from the following month as of the completion date. However this shall be limited to the next one level per year.
pokesplort

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"However this shall be limited to the next one level per year. "

so what does this mean then exactly? i'm also considering getting a 100+ hour course to boost my salary, but i'm wondering if they do that, will my school still give me a raise at the end of the year? so far it looks like i get a bump up for being there one year. anyone know from experience or read about this before? i'm still pretty new here:) also, that oxford course sounds good, as well as some of the other ones. am i to assume that all the websites/courses mentioned in this thread so far are 100+ courses? bah, still trying to work everything out. thanks for any help![/img][/code][/list][/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: