Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different Hogwon, Same Chain, What are the restrictions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koreagirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Different Hogwon, Same Chain, What are the restrictions? Reply with quote

Hi, In a week I've been asked to move to a different Hogwon but its part of the same chain (they have at least 4 branches I know about) for the last 4 months of my contract (mine is scaling down). Both Hogwons are in Seoul, similar area which is fine for travelling so no issues there.

My questions are:

Is this a legal thing to do?
Do I need to change amend my alien card?

I will get the directors to write into my contract who is responsible for paying my severance pay as I can see that one becoming an issue if I dont get in writing now. I would appreciate any information you can give me!

Thanks very much in advance.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, as long as your E2 visa is still being sponsored you're free to work anywhere. I dont think it'll matter.

However, I can easily see them trying to stiff you on the severance because they'll easily be able to pull out the old "That contract was with him, not me" trick. As long as you remember that a contract in Korea has slightly less worth than the paper it's printed on, and have some money stored away so you can escape, you should be fine.
jamesH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: q&a Reply with quote

The question has made it to the faq's of the link above,
http://efl-law.com/faqanswers.htm
looks like it's up the school to report it to immigration~
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Director owned several language schools, all in the same chain and he signed me to one of his schools but I was working at another. I didn't think there was any problem, in fact I didn't even know I was signed to another school until Immigration came knocking one day, demanding to see passports and then threatened to deport myself and 2 other foreign teachers who were also signed to different schools, even though we were working for the same chain and the same director! I had to get an extra stamp in my passport and a new Alien Registration card but because I worked at the one school for a full year, I didn't have any problems getting my severance pay... my advice is to do it by the book (just in case) and make sure you'll be getting your severance from your new school.
koreagirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeeek... thanks for the info!! Will get myself to immigration pdq. Smile
Anda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Yep, your boss can be fined plus yourself if you work at another branch without immigration's permission. My boss at a hogwan in Kwang-ju got fined 5 million for having 5 foreign staff working between branches. The foreigners grouped together and told immigration to get lost when they tried to fine them and so were let off. Not a good idea but for one to do alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: