Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Korean ATM Cards work outside Korea??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adventureman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody who has tried the international ATM card route know how much one can withdrawl from your your Korean bank account at the ATM back home at any one time (I live in U.S.)? I heard $200USD every three days is the limit? If whoever is holding the card for you keeps making large withdrawls thousands of miles away doesn't the Korean bank or anyone back home look upon this suspicously? Also what is the exchange rate like using this method

Also, if this method does not work, does anyone know the going rate in the major Korean banks for cashiers checks if you first convert the money to USD and then have the check sent home?

Just want to see how the alternatives to expensive wirings hold up
Thanks
Very Happy
Cedar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daegu Bank and Korea Exchange Bank.

Exchange rates are almost always better at the ATM than the bank. Only countries with black market money exchange have better rates. There is no service charge on most usage of international bank cards, and I have withdrawn exactly as much as I want to (more than 200 every 2 days or whatever).
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Good News! Reply with quote

Good News!

My KB Card has worked perfectly this summer in the USA as well as Thailand.

The limit issue that was just brought up - is a concern to me too, but I think the limit is more a problem in the USA. I've run up against the limit in the USA often, but this morning in Thailand, I pulled out almost $500., no problem.

Enjoy!

Jenny
wormholes101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedar wrote:
Daegu Bank... I have withdrawn exactly as much as I want to (more than 200 every 2 days or whatever).

I believe the limit on Daegu Bank is USD$1000 per day with a limit of USD$5000 per month.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hana Bank has the VISA Plus system. I used mine all over SE Asia last year and Canada as well. My Nonghyup doesn't work outside Korea at all.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB new grey card worked fine in Malaysia and Singapore over Chuseok.
Dude Love

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: in Japan Reply with quote

My CHB didn't do jack for me when I was in Tokyo. I don't think any Korean bank card will work in Japan.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for limits, the bank normally sets up a daily limit for your protection, in case the card is lost/stolen. If you think your limit is too low, you can have them raise it.

We used my KB card in Japan to get yen, but the number of machines that are tied into the PLUS/CIRRUS network is limited.

RT has a Nong-hyub card, as well, and it is worthless. She is about to open a KB account, as well. I still think it is the best way to handle things.

Regards,

Glen
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick on the KB cards is that there are two of them. The all-grey one they give you automatically doesn't have the symbols on the front and back, and the bank people say it's only good in the country. The other one has "international" in the top-left, and they'll give it to you free if you request it. Here's what they both look like (numbers photoshoped out..):
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Pusan Bank card... it doesn't say "international card" on it, but it does have the "Cirrus", "Maestro" and "debit card" symbols on it that the second kb star card above has.

Any idea if this will work?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
The trick on the KB cards is that there are two of them. The all-grey one they give you automatically doesn't have the symbols on the front and back, and the bank people say it's only good in the country. The other one has "international" in the top-left, and they'll give it to you free if you request it.

Great information!! Thanks Lemon! Actually I was just 'worried' about this entire thing as I'm going to Thailand for 9 days in 9 days from now. Perfect timing. Tomorrow I'll have to get the 'international' KB version.
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happened to read that Korea boasts the second-highest ratio of ATMs per capita, right behind Canada.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I just went to KB to ask for an 'international' card.. and they said it either doesn't exist or they don't have them there. Can't figure that one out.

Would like to get one though.. looks like I might have to wire back home.. and then use my Citibank card down in Thailand..
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do if you KB Bank claims ignorance?

Copy (right click - copy) the example cards that are several replies above this one. Paste (right click - paste) it into a Word document and print it out in color on an inkjet printer. Take that to the bank and say, "Yogi" Point to the one you want.

Should be no problem then - they'll know what you are talking about. That said, of course there are those jokers who use any excuse to get out of serving a foreigner. If so, just try another branch. I got mine out in the sticks - Chung-ju with no problem (from KB).
peppermint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I posted this earlier, but anyway.

Gotr an international atm/debit card from KEB today with absolutely no hassles. I was in and out in five minutes although they did charge me 1000 won for the card.

I'll report back on usefullness outside of Korea in a couple of weeks- hopefully from the sunny Carribean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: