Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Workout Supplements
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Your Workout Supplements Reply with quote

To all workout junkies: what supplements do you take, and why?

In a few weeks I will start a cycle of ISS Satur8 Rush, which is a pre-workout drink with creatine, caffeine, and bunch of other stuff supposed to enhance your mental and physical condition before a workout.
Because this doesn't provide enough creatine, I will also take a teaspoon of creatine after my workout.

I also take two protein shakes a day- one as a post-breakfast and pre-lunch snack, and the other after my workout. Each shake consists of water, milk, honey, cinnamon, one scoop of Optimum Nutrtion Gold Standard Whey and half a scoop of Next Designer Whey Rx 98 (no longer on the site; was an expensive protein powder with joint healthy supplements too).

I'm hoping to elicit some good supplement ideas from others on this site. So again, please share the details of your stack.
jessiaka

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle BSN NO-Xplode (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/xplode.html) which is also a pre-workout drink that has caffeine, creatine, nitric oxide, etc etc etc...
Why use this one over the others? I hate creatine bloat (especially since I'm a girl) and this one doesn't give me that. Also, I find my muscles swell very quickly on this stuff. I like it a lot.

I take 2 protein shakes a day, using 4Ever Whey Isolate (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/4ever/isolate.html). I use this because since I've been in Korea I've been really sensitive to my protein shakes and this one doesn't make me sick, and it tastes just fine mixed with water.
After my workouts I add a scoop of glutamine powder (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pl/glutamine.html) to my shake as well to aid in muscle recovery.

I always have a Clif Builder's Bar (peanut butter flavor, I don't like the other ones very much) (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/clif/build.html) in my bag, so I have no excuses to miss a meal if I'm in a rush (I eat 6 meals a day). I know the protein:carb ratio isn't the absolute greatest in these but they taste really freaking good!

Last edited by jessiaka on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Donkey Beer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HGH is quite nice. It is the fountain of youth without any proven side effects.
samd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three protein shakes a day, the same stuff as you, four on workout days. I use whole milk and my morning shake is also my breakfast, including a banana and two scoops of oatmeal.

A Centrum multi-vitamin every morning.

A teaspoon of creatine and a teaspoon glutamine a day. On workout days I take the glutamine pre-workout and creatine post-workout, both mixed with protein. Sometimes I add a Maxim Gold coffee sachet to my pre-workout shake if I'm feeling weak/tired.

Not sure whether my teaspoon is the 5 grams it's supposed to be, I've been unable to find an exact teaspoon for sale anywhere like the ones you get at home with a teaspoon and tablespoon measure marked.
Dome Vans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap! I steer clear of them because there's a guy at my gym and he looks like a lighter with four cocktail sticks for legs and arms. He drinks these things and he's permanently got the shakes. There's naff all muscle to work with, he has one complimentary drink at the start and one at the end.

Reckon most of the other blokes have had them coz they could crush my head like a walnut.

Multi vitamins that's it for me.

I did do a half marathon: 11 miles or 20 kms a few years ago. Took a complex carbo drink beforehand that my friend gave me. It had the slogan:

Quote:
mind + body = power

Must have worked because I ran it in one and a half hours!!!!! My pride and joy that one.

Last edited by Dome Vans on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
laogaiguk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take none, and while it took me longer to build a good shape, it's more natural and a lot cheaper (probably safer too).
normalcyispasse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much, honestly. I'm a competitive, champion powerlifter and I just don't find that much value in tons of powders. I drink a shake with protein and creatine with sugar (preferably dextrose) after my workout. If I'm feeling plucky I'll throw in some glutamine or BCAAs, but I do not consider those necessary by any means. The best supplement is a good diet.
JustJohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protip: avoid caffeine.

Not currently taking anything, but I really need to gain some weight. Anyone know where to get maybe some whey protein or whatever around here for cheap?
laogaiguk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustJohn wrote:
Protip: avoid caffeine.

Not currently taking anything, but I really need to gain some weight. Anyone know where to get maybe some whey protein or whatever around here for cheap?

Costco or GNC are the only two places I know of. Costco has Weiger for 33000 I think and GNC (in many lotte department stores) has it for 55000 (or more, I can't remember).
Giant_midget

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Donkey Beer
HGH is quite nice. It is the fountain of youth without any proven side effects.

I realise you are taking the piss, however as an oversized midget I would like to point out some of the known HGH side effects:
-- Acromegaly (see pictures below)
-- Premature death (never good, more of a game over effect than a side effect)
-- Heart enlargement
-- Excessive hair growth all over the body

Sure the first 3 sound okay, but I don't want hair growth, I'm not even that hairy and my Korean friends call me 'monkey'.

Scary!
JustJohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nose is pretty huge already. I can only imagine what Acromegaly would do to it.
Oreovictim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuck, can all of you actually stomach those protein and weight gainer shakes? Spicy Korean food give me diarrhea as it is. (I'm sorry; too much information.)

I used to take Joe Weider's Ultra Mega Mass Bulk-Up Powder or whatever the hell that crap was called. The instructions said that you could either mix up a 2,000 calorie shake, or make smaller 1,000 calorie shakes.

I know that if you want to get bigger, you have to consume more calories, but it just doesn't sound healthy downing a 2,000 calorie shake.

I took creatine after a while. I don't know if I ever benefited from it or not.
laogaiguk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreovictim wrote:

I read a study that they were starting to link the long term use of it to impotence...
normalcyispasse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laogaiguk wrote:
Oreovictim wrote:

I read a study that they were starting to link the long term use of it to impotence...

Eh? That doesn't make any sense.
Temporary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laogaiguk wrote:
Oreovictim wrote:

What a load of BS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: