Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Anyone Worked in Cheonan City?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pericles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Has Anyone Worked in Cheonan City? Reply with quote

Hi, looking for feedback on Cheonan City. Anyone worked there or even visited? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Thanks
peppermint

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send a PM to Hotel Cheonan, Zyzyfer, Purrfect, and run a search on the board on Cheonan, there's a handful of regular posters from there.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, you can private message me with any questions you might have about Cheonan. Or post them here.
Alvin Stardust

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chonan (if that's the place you mean) is my fav' city in Korea. Smaller and much nicer than Seoul (just over an hour away), the main train intersection for that part of the country, decent shopping, bars, cinema, babes, yeah... not bad at all.
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boring town in the middle of nowhere...,not that suwon is much better...
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheonan is fine, about 700,000 residents. Fine starting off point, but really this is not the question you should be asking....as there are very bad schools and some good schools.

Care to tell us which school you're thinking of?

Shoosh,

Ryst
Hotel Cheonan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Cheonan . . .

It's a good city that has everything you need (restaurants, shopping, movies etc.). It doesn't have the action of a big city, but then if you're not looking for action, then it's perfect. Actually you will find one of the best groups of teachers in Cheonan, very few crazies running around. Anything else, just let me know.
Pericles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help everyone. I've been considering offers from a variety of places- Daejeon, Yeosu, Cheonan, Bucheon, and Suwon. I live in Toronto now (downtown) and I'm looking to find a city a little smaller.

I've gotten some bad reports on the Hagwon that I was considering in Cheonan so I'm back to the drawing board.

Thanks again, the posters on this board have been very kind to me.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pericles wrote:
I've gotten some bad reports on the Hagwon that I was considering in Cheonan so I'm back to the drawing board.

I'm curious about which hakwon it was...I know there's a lot of standard-fare places, but I recently heard about one particularly bad experience someone had at one.

*edit* Split to relocate offtopic posts. Those are located here.
justagirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh, now I'm curious, too! What hakwon was it? If it was Kid's Herald, stay away! I've known the last 5 teachers that have been in and out of there, and the boss is bad news!

By the way, I really like Cheonan, too. I've been here almost 3 years....long enough to see E-Mart, Burger King, and Pizza Hut come to town. Amazing how the city grows!

justagirl
jlb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: kids herald school Reply with quote

Justagirl....I hope things are going good! Say hi to the gang for me. Just to emphasize this...stay away from Kids Herald School in Cheonan...all bad news! I'm curious now too if that school was it...one of the foreigners should be finishing up around December if he doesn't renew.
purrrfect

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, here's my impression of Cheonan...
I think coming here was a good decision for me, and I mostly enjoy living here. But, as with anywhere else, the adjustment phase was a bit of a rollercoaster ride...

I had lived in Seoul before, so when I first arrived, I had the 'honeymoon phase' where I saw all that was good - cleaner air, less crowded and crazy (slightly, anyway,)

Then, I had the 'cabin fever' phase: I wasn't stuck indoors, of course, but I started to feel that it was a little too quiet in Cheonan and I really started to miss my friends in Seoul and felt really isolated.

Then, after quite some time, I moved into the third and (probably not final) phase, where I saw both the good and the bad. I appreciate the less frantic pace and the relative quietness again, and I can relax knowing that if I want a taste of the big city, it's only an hour's bus or train ride away.
Also, I still love going to Seoul, but when I head back to Cheonan, I often feel good knowing I'll be going back to my apartment where I don't have to listen to the inevitable and constant drone of white noise that you get in a big city.

If I want to go clothes shopping, I'll usually go into Seoul for that, although I know a few really cool little shops around here, but for stuff like grocery shopping I have few complaints. I can get most stuff I'd want at E-Mart, Mega Mart, or even the Carrefour (although the Carrefour is a little out of the way, but their imported foods section more than makes up for it)

There's one movie theatre downtown, so you wouldn't get the same selection of movies you'd get in Seoul, but there's usually an English-language movie playing if you feel the need to head to the cinema.

Also, I'm a big fan of coffee, and there are some pretty decent places here, too.

A good job helps, too, of course. I'm sorry - I don't know any of the hagwons here, but I'd say that unless you find a very unique job that's only in one specific city, it would be best to find a city that fits what you're looking for, then try to find a good job that's available there. As other posters have said, there are both good and bad jobs everywhere you go.

hope that helps,

- purrrfect Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: