Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pet Adoption in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricaSmile84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is a great thread. I will be moving to Korea soon and will be looking for a friend to adopt.

I will check back in a couple weeks!

-Erica
timvas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below are some of the dogs we have at the moment that are urgently looking for homes. In addition to these specific dogs you can see all of the available dogs and cats at the below links:

Dogs: http://www.animalrescuekorea.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Cats: http://www.animalrescuekorea.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Bizzy is a little 3 year-old miniature schnauzer who was found wandering around Daejeon.

She is a beautiful dog - very affectionate, will follow you around and loves to sit on your lap. She does not particularly enjoy being left alone for long periods of time, however, so she would really like an owner or family who are at home regularly.

She is up to date with her vaccinations etc and she is currently in boarding with my vet in Hannam-dong (next to Itaewon).

Anyone who would like to meet Bizzy please contact me at [email protected] or my mobile 010 8940 5233

Choco is a 4 month old miniature Yorkshire Terrier, she weighs about 1.kg

Due to her owner�s long working hours she is having to leave Choco alone for up to 12 hours a day and she does not feel this is fair to her, so she is looking for an owner or family who are home often enough to spend some quality time with Choco.

Choco does have a minor health condition, she was diagnose with hydrocephalus (sometimes known as �water on the brain�) in December, since starting her medication however she is doing really well. She will require regular medication (not expensive) as part of her diet and periodic check-ups at the vet but this should not cause her any ongoing health problems.

She is registered with the YongSan Pet Friends Hospital - Dr.Kim Hee Cheol can confirm her condition and general health. She has had all of her immunization shots and has a complete vet record book of her treatments.

She likes Chewy Gums, Lamb meat and any toys that make a noise. She doesn�t like hair-dryers (for some reason) and has mastered some basic commands such as sit / shake hands / down etc.

She comes with a Petmate Auto feeder (cost KRW 95,000), water stand, pink bed, fence, all kinds of toys, bears

Please contact Sun Yoon at [email protected](preferred) or mobile 010 6297 8979 or Tim Vasudeva at [email protected] or mobile 010 8940 5233

These two little pups were rescued from the Daejeon council shelter (note: this was not the Daejeon dog shelter run by Mrs Jung which is closing down & which the volunteers at www.animalrescuekorea.org are helping out)

Both pups were extremely sick when they came to us but thanks to the efforts of Dr Kwon from the Mari Animal Clinic in Dongyo-dong they have fully recovered and are now healthy little puppies.

They are around 2-3 months old. The black one (male) we have named Migeum � he is very friendly and curious. The black & white one (female) we have named Padugi � she was initially a little shy but is really coming out of her shell now that she is no longer living in a cage and can run around with her brother.

The first two photos below were from the day they first came to us, the remaining photos were taken by their foster carer Michelle last week � as you can see, they have settled into their foster home really well.

They are currently in foster care in Bundang, but we may be able to arrange transport for anyone wanting to meet them. Please contact me at [email protected] or 010 8940 5233

This is Bangsiri, a tiny dog recently rescued from the Daejeon dog shelter. The first two pictures below are from the shelter, the last one is after a recent bath and clip (albeit a much shorter clip than intended � Korean pet groomers, go figure�) Anyway, her fur will grow back & at least you know what she will look like when it does.

She is a beautiful timid little girl, we estimate she is between 6 and 8 years old, she has had all of her heartworm and other health tests and is up to date with her vaccinations.

She loves attention and being picked up & cuddled. She will need someone who is patient with her to re-teach her about life outside the shelter, take her on plenty of walks and help her re-learn things like house-training. She has obviously been someone�s pet before becoming lost or being dumped, she just needs time to get re-acquainted with living inside again.

She is currently in foster care in Anyang, but she can travel to Seoul easily enough if need be.

Anyone interested in meeting Bangsiri please contact me at [email protected] or my mobile 010 8940 5233

dethe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute dogs. Good luck!! I hope they all find a home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sineface

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet Travel Reply with quote

karenb wrote:
kalak wrote:
how easy is it to bring the animals home with you when you are finished in korea??

I found a good site about pet travel that allows you to look up the pet immigration rules for various countries:

http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm

And this website gives links to 117 different airlines (all of which seem to have slightly different rules for when health papers should be issued, etc):

http://www.sherpapet.net/airlines/index.php?air_type#

I also flew with my dog into Canada and back to Korea (twice, actually) and had no problems whatsoever (a little confusion about the price of her ticket, though). She even "held it" all the way from Incheon to Toronto! I wrote about the step-by-step travel preparations here: http://www.lonelylifetime.com/info-resources/travel/dogs-travel/

Does anyone have experience with travel into the US, Europe or other places? I don't know if it's as easy as to Canada.

The UK demands a 6 month qurantine period. As far as I know, you have to fly into certain airports, because you can't transport your pet to the quarantine facility yourself, they must be picked up by the approved facilities. This is the official website that has a lot of info on it http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

and there are also some great links to approved quarantine kennels. It works out to be a pretty expensive endeavour, but is no doubt worth it if it means keeping your little friend when you move. After volunteering at an SSPCA quarantine kennel, I can confirm that whilst it's unlikely to be your pet's favourite 6 months ever, if you choose your facility correctly they will be well looked after. Try and find one close enough to your home so that you can visit, as it obviously makes a huge difference in how the animal copes.

Alternatively, take your pet from here to Canada/ the US (or a number of other approved non EU countires) and stay for 6-7 months. Then, as long as you have your records, you can by-pass the quarantine.
.josh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Transportation. Reply with quote

So my girlfriend and I were hoping to adopt a puppy from the Daejeon shelter this weekend, but are unsure as to what forms of transportation allow pets.

We live in Tongyeong (close to Geoje, two hours from Busan), which is a good 4-5 hours away, so I was just hoping someone living in the area may have done this before? From what I hear, the buses don't always agree to it, and taking a cab (even from Busan, if we were to take the train from Seoul to Busan) would be unbelievably expensive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Tokki1

Location: The gap between the Korean superiority and inferiority complex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Last edited by Tokki1 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
lonestarkorea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternative:

http://ibuystrays.com/whysell.html
Tokki1

Location: The gap between the Korean superiority and inferiority complex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonestarkorea wrote:
Alternative:

http://ibuystrays.com/whysell.html

Sorry... Sad
okidoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Pet travel to the USA Reply with quote

I've taken my maltese to the USA 3 times and back as a carry-on. It costs $130 1-way for NW and United. $260 for Korean Air. You have to have the health certificate within 10 days of travel and the rabies must be over 30 days and less than a year old. No quarantine. The health certificate costs 30,000 won in Korea and much more in America depending on your vet. I'm so happy I took him home. I thought I was coming back in a month and was delayed for 8 mos and the second time the delay was 2 mos. I would have had a nervous breakdown leaving him behind.

But be sure to call the airline directly and see tell them you have a carry-on. They only allow 2 carry-on pets per flight! He must have a reservation as well.

When arriving, after checking in at customs, you go through the quarantine check and they look at the papers. The last time it took me 5 minutes.
EricaSmile84

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I'm here in Busan and I'm thinking about getting a friend. The only thing is that my co-teacher told me it was illegal to own a pet if you live in an apartment.

She often confuses me with her statements and she doesn't seem like she knows what she is talking about sometimes....

Anyone have a pet and live in an apartment?

I was thinking about adopting a small dog (my apartment isn't big enough for a bigger dog) or a kitten.
anabolina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think it's illegal. I think some landlords just say that to justify not allowing pets. I brought my dog over with me last month and no one has said anything and people see me with her in the building all the time. I stay in an officetel and walk by the information desk when I exit the building. Also, I know I've heard other dogs in the building, so no I do not think she is correct.
vegetable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Cat Reply with quote

Hi,

I already posted about adopting my cat. I have to move so I'm trying to find a good home for my four year old cat.

I brought him home from an animal shelter a while back when I was helping out some Korean animal protection people.

I have taken care of him for four years but I don't have a proper home for him any more. He has been neutered and has been very healthy for the time he has been with me.

I'm sorry I can't upload pictures of him because I don't have a camera to do that.

He has dark blackish fur with green/yellowish stripes and a white neck.

If anyone is interested please PM me.
CabbageTownRoyals

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Junior needs a home (very playful, funny little guy) Reply with quote

I saved this little guy from a horrible Korean man who had clearly been abusing him. I was just walking on the street and knelt down to pat him - I was wondering why he looked so awful and was crying so much, as if in pain. The Korean man said, "take him, I don't want him anymore..." The dog was clearly starving and malnourished. Plus the reason he was crying was because it was the first time in his life outside - the man said he never bothered to take him out, and basically said he'd been locked in his bathroom the whole time. He was also covered in fur balls and matted hair Sad
So, I got him home, gave him food, water and a bath and spent about 2 hours cutting matted fur of his coat. The vet said he was indeed starving and underweight so he's been on a program of small but regular nourishing food and water. Anyway, he's such a cute little guy and is definitely going to make a full recovery. He's already put on weight and is playing normally... Smile He's clean and free of matted hair, except some around his mouth but I need help getting those off. Anyway....I can't believe how well he's doing. Unfortunately I can't keep him as I already have a dog. OK...here are his details

*male
*4 months old
*now is almost perfectly healthy again, just needs to put on more weight
*good teeth/eyes
*VERY fast learner.
*very playful
*sleeps in his bed next to my bed...
*doesn't bark much at all (maybe once so far) but does cry a little when confused, although this has been steadily decreasing
*will come with his bed, leash, some food
*there is no fee/charge but he does need to be sterilized, but we can work something out regarding this, perhaps share the costs...

basically just a real cutie Smile I've named him Junior.
I'm in no rush to find him a home, so take ur time to think about it...
or if you'd like to meet him, PM me and we can arrange that, I live in Itaewan.

KOREAN_MAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet adopters,

When you're planning to adopt a female pet, please make sure that she's not pregnant. I adopted a cat from another member of Dave's about six weeks ago. He didn't mention anything about her being pregnant. To my oh-my-freaking-god surprise, she gave birth to four kittens a couple days ago. I couldn't believe it. (I emailed him about this matter but no response.)

It seemed like she had a premature birth. Three of the four kittens were stillborn. One barely survived, but I'm not sure if the young fella is going to make it after all.

So please make sure whether the pet you're about to adopt has any chance of pregnancy. I wish I'd have taken better care of my cat. Maybe then the other kittens might have survived.
Ursula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Cat! Reply with quote

Hey vegetable,
I want your cat but I haven't posted enough yet to earn PMing power. Lame! So please PM me if it's still up for adoption.
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: