Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

100,000 won "check"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
napoleon8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: 100,000 won "check" Reply with quote

On payday I have been getting 100,000 won "checks" instead of cash. Anyone know if I can exchange these at Inchon International Airport for U.S. currency or whatever? Thanks.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The checks sometimes require 2-3 days to clear. If they were issued by the bank you are exchangeing them with then it should be no problem to exchange them in minutes.

I recommend changing them before you fly.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of friends of mine went on a holiday a few years back and no bank in Pusan would cash their Seoul Bank checks. Of course that was a while back and things have changed a lot, but as KC says- give yourself a little extra leeway; If they're not so easy to cash in Korea, just imagine how hard they would be to cash oputside Korea if you don't give yourself enough time.
PatrickSiheung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too get paid in mostly those 100,000 won checks. I have had NO problem using them in stores... just like cash. The thing is though, you need to have your alien card ready to write down your name, registration number etc... I even used one at Lotteria haha. They had to give me over 90,000 won in change. No problem though )
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the checks in department stores and larger grocery stores on occassion. Sometimes they take them, and sometimes they don't. If you want cash just go to any back and they'll change them to won for you.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is they're not consistent- you never know if they're going to accept them from you or not- I wouldn't wait until the airport to cash them to be on the safe side.
camel96

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 1,000,000 won checks (yeah - a million) in my pay every time. I changed one in McDonalds a few months ago. I think the stuff the guy said in Korean made the place cease to be a family restaurant anymore. Now I just use those ones to change to US$. Never heard of it taking 2-3 days to cash though.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always just put the checks in the bank and at a later time took out cash.
just because

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto above. just deposit them into your bank account and they trun into lovely man wons Very Happy
Macbeth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so my boss just paid me in nothing but these things yesterday and they're all from different banks. i don't have a bank account and the banks around here aren't open until monday anyway. whats my best plan for getting some weekend cash?
just because

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the weekend cash...hmmmmm...
Might be time to knock off a LG 25. You know they are so unprepared for that and no security cameras too Very Happy
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Korean bank account.

Goto a machine that you can deposit checks into.

If they are the 100,000 variety, it is easy as pie. There is a slot on the machine just to take checks.

Deposit them.

Now how much weekend cash do you actually need? You can cash those checks when buying something...I have never had a problem. In fact, it is better than carrying a wad of 30 man wons in your pocket.

Anyways, checks are only a problem on day to day things, as most stores dont want to cash them for purchasing 5000 won of stuff.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you send those "checks" home? and have them banked? Sounds like an easy way to do ye old money transfer thing.
just because

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

napoleon,
did you get through the weekend Ok or was it a soju and ramyeon diet for you. hmmmm....nutricious.
jeremyslome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: korean bank checks Reply with quote

does anyone know if korean bank checks can be cashed (exchanged) in america? i am speaking of the 1,000,000 won checks from my local daegu bank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: