Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone completed ITTT TEFL recently?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassexpander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They give you a 100 hour certificate after completing the test without the course... hmmm...
pkang0202

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
They give you a 100 hour certificate after completing the test without the course... hmmm...

They send you a crap ton of PDF's in your email. You are suppose to look them over and just e-mail them when you are ready to take the test. You take the test, upload it to them within 24 hours and then I guess you find out if you passed or not.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how closely-related the final test is to what's in the general packet assignments you get if you do it the packet-by-packet way.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
I'm curious how closely-related the final test is to what's in the general packet assignments you get if you do it the packet-by-packet way.

The packet by packet worksheet/tutor support way is definitely easier to do. The exam was a pain in the butt. however, its worth it since its a one shot deal. You get all the worksheets except you work on them on your own time and do not have to submit them to anyone.

I did the worksheets and took the exam. Most times I could just refer to the worksheets to compete the test. Other times I had to sift through the course material to find the answers.

You have 24 hours to complete the exam. It is entirely possible to pay the $200, request to download the exam, and complete the 100 hr course within 2 days.
poet13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a rigorous course, something that can actually help you be a better teacher, not just the piece of paper, then I would suggest KEI TEFL.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poet13 wrote:
If you're looking for a rigorous course, something that can actually help you be a better teacher, not just the piece of paper, then I would suggest KEI TEFL.

I recommend KEI-TEFL too. Its just that I didn't know about KEI-TEFL when I was looking around for online TEFL certificates.
Darkness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to sign up for ITTT, cause right now they are offering the 100hr course with a business english certificate. So you're saying KEI is better then ITTT. I read on daves that ITTT is a decet course.

For $295usd, you get 100hr TEFL + Business English
poet13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend KEI because it was rigorous. There was also a lot of support from the instructor and other students. Lots of back and forth communication. I really did learn a lot. Also, the web resources that have been researched have given me a tremendous boost this semester.
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the price of KEI?

I feel like ITT could be good the more you put into something, the more you get out. I feel like ITT could be very good, or it could be very simple to get the certificate depending on the student.

Any suggestions before I sign up for ITT so I can get TEFL + Business English for $295usd?
poet13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cost me 200,000won for the 100 hour certificate. The 120 hour I think cost another 150, but that included our hotel, meals, instructors, etc.

With the Certficate, I also received a professional recommendation as well as my grades.

As far as exams....there were 17 I think, plus the midterm, and final. There are several requirements to fulfill each unit. Online research, posts, and a test. I probably put 300 hours into the course.

Last edited by poet13 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in class??

Is there a big difference from the 100hr to the 120hr course?
poet13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra 20 hours is the practical part. I had heard noises last year that EPIK was not accepting the 100 hours courses, only the 120. Whether that's actually true or not, I do not know. I'm glad however, that I took the practical. It was a pain in the ass to get to, I missed out on a 5 day, 1 million won camp, and I had to be away from my wife and son, but it was worth it.
I think KEI is also the only TEFL outfit in the country that is blessed by the K government. <<you should pm tob55 regarding this.
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I take the ITTT course, my pay at the public school will go up. Plus I'll get a Business English course.

I'm just wondering if the step from 100hrs to 120hrs is worth not getting a Business English, which I would like to have.
poet13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would have to ask, who recognizes "business english TEFL" as being different from a regular TEFL?
I know some people teach business english, and if there was a creditable course, I would be interested in taking it.

I dont know, casue I never asked, but it's possible the KEI offers a business slant....
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I guess so. They just say at the end of the courses I'll have a TEFL certicate and teaching business English.

If I just wanted the certificate, I would just buy one online, but I'm trying to improve my teaching, so I want to take a decent course. I also want to take one that will look good on a resume, hence I asked if the 120hr course is worth the extra 20hrs....

Maybe it all depends on my plans...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: