Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assaulted Gyopo Claims Prejudice
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Assaulted Gyopo Claims Prejudice Reply with quote

And this happened to a Gyopo!

Makes me want to carry a weapon:

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2008/03/25/200803250007.asp#top

Quote:
Assaulted kyopo claims prejudice

When David Kim and his wife were brutally attacked by a group of gangsters and the police told him "This is Korea, and that's how it is," he said he felt empty inside.
In a similar incident last year, Kim and two of his friends, Patrick Chitman and Richard Kim, both kyopo, or ethnic Koreans that grew up overseas, were verbally attacked by six ajeossi, or older men, that slung slurs at them because they were speaking English.

Richard Kim said that while they didn't exactly handle the situation in an ideal manner -- he said the best thing to do is take the high road, ignore verbal insults and move on -- the slurs were especially insulting and inflammatory.

When the ajeossi's words turned into physical violence against Chitman, and authorities were called, Richard said the police tried to force a cash settlement, which the ajeossi agreed to. He also said the ajeossi has yet to pay up, leaving Chitman with the whole hospital bill.

David Kim (left) and his wife, Kim Yun-hee, stay in the hospital to receive treatment after they say they were attacked by gangsters. They were discharged from the hospital last Thursday. [Matthew Lamers/ The Korea Herald]
Near the end of November, in a case that received vast attention in the blogosphere, Michael Hurt, who is black, was shooting a short film in Seoul when an intoxicated man interrupted the production and verbally insulted him for an extended period of time. When the police were called, Hurt, who speaks fluent Korean, was treated as if he had been in the wrong. The post on his blog, entitled "I got arrested for calling the police," received thousands of hits.

Said Hurt: "This stuff (racism) happens so rarely; one out of a thousand people maybe. But if you run into that thousandth person, you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, and you happen to look at a gangster sideways and he doesn't like the fact that you're with a Korean woman -- you're screwed."

The incidents, while not everyday occurrences, but by no means are they completely isolated, raise serious questions about getting justice in cases of prejudice against foreigners and social acceptance of non-whites in Korean society.

David Kim, 37, and his wife, Kim Yun-hee were out for what they described as a midnight snack in Dapsimni, eastern Seoul, when they were attacked by a group they described as four gangsters on March 9.

David said after eating they went to a singing room, where the gangsters confronted them in the lobby, attaching various slurs to the word "foreigner," then the couple was physically attacked. He said the attackers broke his jaw in half and tried to rape Yun-hee. His wife came away from the incident with bruises and broken teeth.

"When I came back to Korea, my motherland, I obviously hoped for belonging and acceptance -- but it's really not there," said David.

"It's tough for me because when I go back to Canada, I'm not accepted as a white person, and in Korea I'm not accepted as Korean. I had a tough time growing up in Canada because there was a lot of racism," he explained.

In an interview at the hospital, David said: "My jaw is split in two. My front teeth are gone. They dragged (Yun-hee) into a norebang room, were holding her down and said they were going to rape her."

But she managed to break away for long enough to call the police. By the time they arrived at the scene, three of the four attackers had fled, but David's said his hope for justice didn't last long.

"At the police station it was apparent they (the police and one of the attackers) knew each other. They asked me to sign a statement that was completely false. They weren't concerned about my medical condition and no ambulance and no doctor was called, even though I had a broken jaw, and (Yun-hee) had been slapped around and almost raped."

What's most amazing, David said, was when the police telephoned Yun-hee and told her that no charges were going to be placed.

"Two days later the police called my wife and said we should take a settlement."

He added that the police investigator has not taken statements from the victims, now over two weeks past the incident, and he worries about a just outcome when only one side has the ear of the police.

"We got attacked by gang members and the police actually told us, the victims, that they, the attackers, aren't going to press charges. It's amazing," said David.

David does not want to take the police-suggested cash settlement because, as he said, he wants the law enforced and the attackers to go to jail.

David was born in Korea but his family immigrated to Canada when he was young. His wife was born in Korea and grew up here. David explained that some kyopo feel they are not fully accepted in Korean society "because we're not accepted there (in Canada) 100 percent, and not here (in Korea) 100 percent, either."

Richard Kim says that in Korea, there are some benefits that come with being kyopo, but that there are also some drawbacks. "I can get around Korea a lot easier than an overt foreigner; I can communicate and I know the culture. (But) I think we get treated differently for sure. It's more in employment than anything."

He said that private English schools here tend to prefer white foreigners, even if others can speak just as well.

He added that he doesn't let it bother him, "There's nothing I can do," he said. "I just hope that for Korea to become an international participator -- it has really big dreams to become Asia's best -- they kind of have to change their outlook on the way they treat people. Here, the exception is the rule, whereas back home there is no exception to the rule. There should be more consistency."

Hurt says that while racism does exist here, he doesn't spend too much time worrying about it. "I don't stress about it here too much, but if I was with a woman who was my wife -- and my life -- I would be extra careful, because we attract attention."

After being contacted by The Korea Herald on several occasions, the police refused to comment. The investigator did not return repeated phone calls.

By Matthew Lamers
The Korea Herald

([email protected])

Last edited by bassexpander on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dukey77777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Assaulted Gyopo Claims Prejudice Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
And this happened to a Gyopo!

Makes me want to carry a weapon:

Yea, but aren't gyopos considered lower on the food chain than regular foreigners? I don't know....I just get that feeling where I live.
Ruraljuror

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just sick. Disgusting. I don't know what else to say.

I can't even imagine what I'd be doing if this had happened to me and my wife...and the police don't care. Unbelievable. I really think we should try to publicize this case and try to get justice for David Kim and his wife, and get the scum in the police force who overlooked this case fired.

I know it's Korea, and stupid s--- like this happens all the time, but this is just outrageous.
Scotticus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While sickened, I'm not surprised.
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disgusting.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy must be sooo frustrated with the cops.

Sad how they don't even respond to the reporter.

((Can't seem to find a link for this article though))
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the SMPA police website:

Quote:
The SMPA is doing its utmost to provide public security service 'more rapidly, more kindly,
most fairly' in order to become a world-class police organization.

We will do our best to furnish a variety of information and to solve your complaints.

When you have suggestions and opinions on our security policy, please let us know by
sending a message through our website and we will do our best to positively reflect
your ideas in our affairs.

The SMPA will do all we can to be one of the world's major police agencies which can lead
"a success era of people" and "recovery in domestic economy" by establishing the legal order
that is not only our social basis, but also our principle.

What a bold-faced, bullshit lie.

Everyone needs to drop a phone call to the SMPA and include a copy of the OP's article. Here are a list of offices:

http://www.smpa.go.kr/smpa2007/eng/faq.asp

Writing an email to your embassy would be wise, too.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibbitybop wrote:

http://www.smpa.go.kr/smpa2007/eng/faq.asp

And when one goes to that website, immediately, two of the top four headlines are how to report foreigners for doing something illegally.

Typical. Damn typical.

Korea Sparkling!

If 4 gangsters tried to rape my wife, there would be 4 dead Koreans in the newspaper the next day, or at least as many of them as I could take with me. If there weren't a weapon around, I'd grab the nearest one around the neck and snap it while the others pummeled on me. Then I'd move on to #2, if able.

The police are just inviting some serious trouble from the expat community if they continue to turn a blind eye to justice.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
((Can't seem to find a link for this article though))

Go to www.koreaherald.com and scroll down to the bottom. There is a pic of the guy with his wife.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the link for the OP Bas?
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Got the link for the OP Bas?

I'm working on it. The KoreaHerald blocks right-clicking on the page to link to it.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2008/03/25/200803250007.asp#top
travelingfool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes my blood pressure again! I really need to kick my addiction to this forum.

I say just boycott Korea entirely. Let them teach each other English. They are obviously much more qualified than any dirty native speaker.

I love that link to the snitch board. "Click here to report a foreigner doing this. Click here to report a foreigner doing that".

Prospective teachers: DON"T GO TO KOREA!!!! Yes, the money is decent. However, you can go to China and if you are the least bit enterprising you can make more and be treated much better. You can conduct all kinds of classes and make extra money and won't have the authorities breathing down your neck. You can also learn a relevant language and culture.

Even the hookers in Korea are racist! (so I've heard)
stevemcgarrett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason No. 21 why I have such contempt for this place and can't wait to leave.

The most galling aspect of the case is the utter indifference of the police. They show no concern for treating foreigners as guests to make amends. Of all the police patterns I've seen in Asia, it is by far the worst here.

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the investigators sat down to some soju and a few smokes and laughed at their misfortune.

Sure, they're good Koreans and good cops here, but the simple fact that this indifference is so frequently reported on this forum and in the Herald should cause even the most dedicated Korean apologist to question the attitudes abounding here.
Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea, sparkling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: