Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information about Guam and Saipan...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wishmaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Information about Guam and Saipan... Reply with quote

I'm kicking around the idea about heading to Guam or Saipan in January. I would like to get some information about both places. I've been told that both are roughly 4 hour flights. I would also like to get some of the things there that you can't get in Korea...what is the shopping like? Beaches? Sightseeing? Any pertinent info. Thanks.
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I heard and read, Guam is boring as hell.. Basically feels just like being in a typical American state...

You could also visit the world's biggest K-mart though...
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Information about Guam and Saipan... Reply with quote

Wishmaster wrote:
I'm kicking around the idea about heading to Guam or Saipan in January. I would like to get some information about both places. I've been told that both are roughly 4 hour flights. I would also like to get some of the things there that you can't get in Korea...what is the shopping like? Beaches? Sightseeing? Any pertinent info. Thanks.

Guam has a ton of western creature comforts but a bit pricier, as you can expect.

You'll have shopping malls, a K-Mart, etc.

It's a place to cool your jets and get some western vibe going on. Most of the expats thare are military or military employees.

LOTS of Japanese there. Joe met the "Anthrax Ninja" there (that's the nickname I robbed off of AFKN for my on/off lady-friend).

Do a net search and you'll find what you need.

http://www.guam-online.com/

Chamorro village was a bit of a let down.

I went there to do a little shopping, drinking and sea starring. I didn't get out much beyond the malls and the hotel.

It's nowhere to go for action but great for r and r.

Have fun,

Joe
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SarcasmKills wrote:
From what I heard and read, Guam is boring as hell.. Basically feels just like being in a typical American state...

It all depends on what you are looking for in a vacation- I was completely satisfied with my visit to Guam. I avoided the main tourist area, did some awesome diving every day, rented a car and explored, saw a few historic sites, picked up a bunch of much-needed supplies, ate breakfast at Denny's a few times; There was no language hassles or money conversions to worry about which was exactly what I needed at the time.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo is right. Guam is a relaxing place to spend some time if you want access to American shopping.

The island isn't particularly pretty or exciting. But it does have a big K-Mart (it just can't be the biggest in the world--no matter what people say) and Micronesia Mall is fine because it has a real bookstore and a Taco Bell. Other nice things: a big variety of ethnic restaurants--Indian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, Korean...as well as decent steak houses. People don't drive like maniacs. Smile

Saipan is nice too. Just Guam without the shopping.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to look at the reason why you want to go to Guam. Then decide. If it's for some warm weather, outdoor sports, relaxing place, etc... ok then. It is expensive but it's also inexpensive if you know where to shop and where to go. The airport side of the island is "ugly." Drive around to the other side and it's beautiful and unpopulated. Beaches are clean, the air is fresh. Lots of tourists. Saipan is the same just smaller. Car rental can be expensive or cheap depending on what you want. A used car rental place called "cars unlimited" rents for $20-25.00 a day. A/C equiped. Restaurants all over the place. Lot's of shopping.
If you're a SCUBA diver, rent some gear and drive around the island, find some site from land and dive. Lot of sunken ship dives close to land left over from the war.
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: If you're a WW II buff.... Reply with quote

In Guam, check out the War in the Pacific museum & the museum dedicated to Corporal Shokoi, the guy who kept fighting the war until 1972! In Saipan, I HIGHLY recommend getting out to the Last (Japanese) Command Post. Bird Island is worth a look too. Even if you aren't a diver, you can see wreckage via a submarine ride. For Saipan, as much as I loathe package tours, it might be cheaper to join a tour for an overall lower cost of your trip. Check around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: