Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

visa run to Guam
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: visa run to Guam Reply with quote

I'm making a visa run to Guam in a couple of days. A couple of questions - what do I need to bring with me? Can I do it in a day? How do I find out where it's located in Guam? Do I need to rent a car?

thanks
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Huck!

Do they even have a Korean consulate there?

The Hammer Laughing
huck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep - a couple of teachers at my hogwan went there last year - but even though they stayed there for a few days, they couldn't really give me any real info.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there several times. The only bad thing is the airline arrival times...around 1:30 am. A drag.

1. For a relatively cheap motel: Tamuning Plaza Hotel. Nothing special, but only $45 a day. Across the street from a big hotel on the beach. Smile
Address: [email protected] Tamuning Plaza Hotel

2. You can rent a bike there for $10. Ride it up the street to the Pizza Hut and turn left. Ride along that street (it winds around) till you get to another major road...Payless Grocery Store is across the street. If you look behind the grocery store you will see the big Korean flag on the hill. You have to turn right and go a block then turn left. The consulate is in a house.

3. I always had to wait a day and go back.

4. Things to see: a real book store in Micronesia Mall. Taco Bell is there too. A great Indian restaurant straight up the street from the motel. Near a big bank. Sorry, but I don't remember the name. With a car, you can drive around the island in about two hours. There's a good WWII museum just south of town. Hang out on the beach. Lots of different restaurants.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay at "Hafa Adai" hotel. It's cheap and on the main drag. Close to the airport. When you land in Guam, it'll be around 2am. Taxi's are expensive!
A place called "Cars Unlimited" rents wrecks for $20.00 a day! Old cars but they are beat up and do have A/C! The korean embassy is located about a 10 minute drive from the airport. Get their in the am and pick up your visa in the pm.
Guam is beautiful IF you like the sunshine and the ocean! The tourist side, south side is not so pretty. Drive around to the other side of the Island and it's great! Lots of coves to dive into too! Hamilton hotel is also in Guam. Same owners as the Hamilton hotel in Itaewon. Brothers. The brothers Lee.
A bike is fine to get around but a car is better.
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the flight over there?
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

economy, under 500.000 round trip. Fares are published daily in the korean times and herald newspapers in the travel section.
huck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help....Sometimes, this forum is actually useful. Smile
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A place called "Cars Unlimited" rents wrecks for $20.00 a day! Old cars but they are beat up and do have A/C!

The place next to the Dennys, right? Man, their cars can be scary!!! Take it out for a 5 min test drive before settling on one.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, next to Denny's. Scary? Well, for $20.00, as long as the brakes work, A/C, and it starts, it beats paying $100.00 to the other car rental places!
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
Yep, next to Denny's. Scary? Well, for $20.00, as long as the brakes work, A/C, and it starts, it beats paying $100.00 to the other car rental places!

That's what I mean- on the first car they gave me the a/c didn't work, wipers didn't work, turn signals didn't work on the left side and one headlight was burnt out- it was rainy and I was staying south of the naval base rather than in town so these were serious safety concerns for me. I took it back the next day and tried out a couple before I found one I felt safe in. Having lived in the Caribbean I'm well-acquainted with 'island cars' and the damage that salt can do to them in a relatively short period of time.

I agree on your recommendation of the place and I agree that the price is right. The owners are very nice and friendly but all I'm saying is don't assume they know the current state of their cars- make sure everything is working correctly and take them out a little test drive. You can reserve ahead of time as well and I'd definitely recommend doing so- depending what/how many ships are in port their supply of cars can be very limited.
Geckoman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Guam Visa Run! Reply with quote

I highly recommend you go to Guam, USA, for a visa run.

A South Korean consulate is located on Guam. I've gone on two visa runs to Guam, USA. Each time my employer paid for it.

When it comes to visa runs, employers generally send their teachers to Japan -- Osaka or Fukuoka, depending on where in Korea your at. However, if you work it out with your employer, there should be no reason why you can't do your visa run to Guam.

My two visa runs to Guam were great! Guam is a great place to visit!

Sunny weather, beautiful beaches, great shopping, outstanding scuba diving, and you can recharge on all your Americanisms that you don't get in Korea (American TV, movies, pop culture, restaurants, products, etc.).

Guam is a real tropical paradise! That's why it's a tourist mecca for Japanese and Korean tourists.

I highly recommend doing a visa run to Guam!

Very Happy
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geckoman,

Thanks for the encouragement. I've always wanted to go there. I think I'll go there next year.

The Hammer

NAVFC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: visa run to Guam Reply with quote

huck wrote:
I'm making a visa run to Guam in a couple of days. A couple of questions - what do I need to bring with me? Can I do it in a day? How do I find out where it's located in Guam? Do I need to rent a car?

thanks

It would be helpful.
Geckoman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Two Good Sources for a Guam Trip! Reply with quote

Two good sources of information for planning a trip to Guam (hotels, things to do, etc.):

1) Click Guam
www.clickguam.com

2) Guam Portal
www.guamportal.com

Guam is a great place to visit and live! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: