Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Japan and back...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rue_Meridian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: To Japan and back... Reply with quote

Well...I apologize for my way too general first post. As I am new to this message board I will try my best to garner more specific information. And, not surprsingly, that is what I will try to do now: As in my earlier post I stated that I worked for a brutal hogwon. I could go on describing the conditions...but hey we have all read about these hagwons...I will black list it as soon as I am free. As such I am looking to get out of my current contract...I cannot give notice and leave because I would be screwed over. My boss will not sign a release form (he has previously denied this to several other employees). As a result I am thinking of running. I want to continue teaching in Korea but need to leave this school to retain my sanity. I was told that in order to obtain a new working visa (set up through the new school) I merely had to take a trip to Japan and then come back on a tourist Visa...and then proceed to get a new E2 visa. Is this true? I would really appreciate some advice in this area...please note that I am not trying to get into an ethical debate on the right/wrongness of running...just about the visa.

Peace
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it largely depends on the time remaining on your current E2 visa. If you are six months into your current visa/contract, then you still have 6 months remaining before your current E2 expires and if you wish to gain employment with another hagwon before this period runs out, you still require a release letter.

It really sux. The sooner we start to "own" our visas in the way teachers in Japan own their visas, I think the sooner we'll see better conditions in hagwons.

You can go to Japan or some other country, hand in your ARC (Alien Registration Card) and come back as a tourist, but if you wish to have another E2 visa processed, you'll run into problems unless you have that letter of release or can provide proof of you current hagwon's mistreatment and convince them to give you another E2.
TECO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that.

I have a Work VISA from Japan that allows me to work anywhere in JAPAN until February 25, 2005 Very Happy

I'm living in TAIWAN at the moment and can legally go back to Nippon and work anywhere and for whomever I want.

Stamped right there in my passport and no English business can threaten to revoke it or take it away.
Mosley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Visas.... Reply with quote

There's no doubt about it. If there's one single work issue that teachers in Korea should fight for, en masse, it's the adoption of the Japanese style work visa, especially since the Japanese now grant 3 year as well as 1 yr. visas. I ain't holdin' my breath though....
Pusanpoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Owning your visa Reply with quote

Korean management is largely behind the times and that is why this place cannot be like Japan. If they opened the rules many managers would have to treat their foreigners way better than is acceptable by Hogwon management culture. Since many hogwon managers (though certainly not each and everyone) cannot respond that quickly to a more free market situation, then no rule changes. Interesting though they can more easily can you within the easrly part of the contract but you cannot jump ship before or if that happens-unless you go to another country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: