Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my F-2-1 today, so...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardgkeller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Does it matter where you get an F2-1 Visa Reply with quote

Hello,

I got an F-2 Visa in Canada (Maximum is 90 days from Canda). My wife is from Busan and I got a job in a different province. Am I able to upgrade to an F2-1 in Busan or do I have to do it in another province? Also, I will be working at a public school, will that make things more difficult or easier?

NOTE: The Korean embassies in Canada don't know anything about F-2 Visas. They told me I couldn't work with it in Korea and I would have to get an E-2. I asked them about F2-1 and F5 Visas and they didn't even know they existed. My wife had to call Korea to get real information.

Thank-you,
Richard
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Does it matter where you get an F2-1 Visa Reply with quote

richardgkeller wrote:
Hello,

I got an F-2 Visa in Canada (Maximum is 90 days from Canda). My wife is from Busan and I got a job in a different province. Am I able to upgrade to an F2-1 in Busan or do I have to do it in another province? Also, I will be working at a public school, will that make things more difficult or easier?

NOTE: The Korean embassies in Canada don't know anything about F-2 Visas. They told me I couldn't work with it in Korea and I would have to get an E-2. I asked them about F2-1 and F5 Visas and they didn't even know they existed. My wife had to call Korea to get real information.

Thank-you,
Richard

Richie,

I am currently in the US and have called the Korean Embassy to get my F2 (again). Had some issues, akin to yours, but it is safe to say you CAN work in Korea with that primary F2. However, you'll need to go to the immi office and change/update it/get your ARC. From what I gather, that stage will be more of a rubber stamp than anything else.

As for "upgrading"...do it in the province that you (will) register(ed). I mean, your official documentation.

As for public school being a snag....not a bit, that's what an F2 is for!

I hope this helps...

!Shoosh,

Ryst
richardgkeller

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: F2-1 Reply with quote

I got my F-2-1 in Busan, because my wife's family lives there. It is easier than using my address which will change a lot more. You can work anywhere in Korea wherever you upgrade it. Also, I have been added to my wife's family's list. We don't have our own list. My wife's name was put on the bottom so when she goes for interviews they think she is divorced.
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

I have an important, possibly silly question.

What is the difference between an F-2 and F-2-1 visa? People always say F-2 and never say F-2-1 it seems, so I don't know if it matters at all.
richardgkeller

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Difference between F-2 and F-2-1 Reply with quote

I got an F-2 Visa from Canada which had a maximum of 90 days, but they tell you, that you can't work with it. In Busan, I got an F-2-1 Visa so that I can work, and it is for 1 year (Up to 2 years).
I think many people refer to F-2-1 Visa just as F-2. The Korean embassy in Canada gave me a lot of bad information about F-2 Visas, they don't even know about F-5 Visas (Have to do a Korean test). I got most of it from Busan immigration.
DHC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F-2-1 visa is guaranteed by your spouse. Your wife's legal Korean address is your legal address regardless of where you work. You renew your F-2-1 at the same immigration office where it was issued unless your wife changes her official address in which case the Immigration office for that area would become your office. Immigration is not involved in employment of an F-2 or F-5 holder. If you teach then you must be legally qualified to teach and you must register with the local Education Dept. office.
Chamchiman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holyjoe wrote:
Just picked up my F-2-1 visa today from immigration, 2 weeks exactly from the date we applied so that's not too bad.

Ryst Helmut wrote:
...took me only 20 minutes to apply and be granted F-2 status.

I submitted the paperwork yesterday, and the lady behind the counter said it would take one to two months to process the visa. What's up with that? I thought it might take them a while to process the application, but keeping my passport and alien card for up to two months?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

**Edit**

By the way, the woman did ask about our financial capability. We didn't have 30 million in the bank, but did show a house deposit contract (전세계약) and our respective certificates of employment (재직증명서). That seemed to placate her.
tommy77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chamchiman wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:
Just picked up my F-2-1 visa today from immigration, 2 weeks exactly from the date we applied so that's not too bad.

Ryst Helmut wrote:

I submitted the paperwork yesterday, and the lady behind the counter said it would take one to two months to process the visa. What's up with that? I thought it might take them a while to process the application, but keeping my passport and alien card for up to two months?

**Edit**

By the way, the woman did ask about our financial capability. We didn't have 30 million in the bank, but did show a house deposit contract (전세계약) and our respective certificates of employment (재직증명서). That seemed to placate her.

I seem to have the same problem. My wife has just called the Incheon immigraton office who told her the F2 visa will take up to 3 months to process, assuming all the paperwork is correct. I think it depends on who you deal with and what kind of mood they are in at the time. Maybe I will try a different office.
mnhnhyouh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chamchiman wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:

Ryst Helmut wrote:

**Edit**

Holy dredged up threads, Batman. Smile

The posts you have quoted are from 2003. I am guessing things have changed a tad?

h
madowlspeaks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then from start to finish how long does the F2 visa process take from application to in hand?
Imrahil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madowlspeaks wrote:
So then from start to finish how long does the F2 visa process take from application to in hand?

These days it should be between 2 weeks to a month. It all depends on the mood of the immigration officer.
madowlspeaks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imrahil wrote:
madowlspeaks wrote:

These days it should be between 2 weeks to a month. It all depends on the mood of the immigration officer.

Today, my husband and I went to the Daejon branch (this is my immigration office) for the F2 process, and the officer turned us away because my husband lives in the Gyeonggi province.

He said we have to go there.

WTF?? Confused Was he just being a jerk or is this the procedure??
madowlspeaks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tops the cake.

Just got back from the 2nd immigration office. Took 2 hours to get there for them to tell me to go back to the FIRST immigration office again!!!!!!!!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Apparently there is a problem because we live in separate domains
during the week and they require only one address on the forms.

AAARRGGHHHH

God only knows how long this process is going to take. We have to get all
new forms including another notarized marriage certificate from the embassy.

The immigration people can't get it around their fat heads that a married couple can live in apart during the week.

They are assuming it is a fake marriage.

Dumbasses.

Even if it was a fake marriage would a change of address make it real??

Shheeeeeesssshhhh Rolling Eyes
branchsnapper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how the F2 affects the legal check? Last time I changed jobs (September) the local police station sent off for my records and I heard no more about it. Will it always be like that?

I don't have a criminal record, but if an F2 holder did, what is the situation? No jobs allowed? After all, we still (probably) have a family to feed.
earthbound14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated F-2-1 requirements.

I just got off the phone with immigration and this is what they told me to bring (I haven't done it yet, I'll let you now if it went well)

-My passport
-My alien card
-My wife's ID (Ju Min Deubgnok Jeung - 주민등록증)
-Our certificate of marriage (from your home country) apparently you need to go to your embassy get a certificate, then head on down to the local Korean office (likely Jogno-gu office) then back to your own embassy in order for it to be legit in Korea.
- My certificate of employment from my employer (or certificate proving you have 30,000,000 won in your bank) (Jaejik Jeungnyeongseo - 재직증녕서)

50,000 won
2 weeks to get the visa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: