Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese restaurants = where?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Chinese restaurants = where? Reply with quote

I am really craving chinese food - the stuff you get at home, from the local chinese take-away shop. Can anyone recomend a decent chinese restaurant? I don't care where it is - am willing to travel for a decent feed. though Pusan might be a bit of a stretch (I live in Anyang). Please, please?
peppermint

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho Lee Chow is North American style Chinese- egg rolls, chicken balls- that sort of thing, and there's one in Itaewon, I believe. I'm not sure if New Zealand style Chinese is the same, but it might be worth investigating.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good one around the corner from the Yeouido Full Gospel Church on the road that runs at a right angle to the river. It's upstairs with a picture of a panda on it. Yummy, and really nice inside too. After all that gospel, I get all tuckered out.
prairieboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Ho lee chow in Ilsan near TGI Friday's. There's a whole new mall there called La Festa with many restaurants so there's bound to be more than just one decent Chinese restaurant.

Cheers
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all good - thanks heaps. THe chinese food we have in NZ is cantonese. sweet n sour pork/chicken, beef with black bean sauce, my fave chicken fried rice, with pineapple and cashew nuts. mmmm.
Sejong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
Ho Lee Chow is North American style Chinese- egg rolls, chicken balls- that sort of thing, and there's one in Itaewon, I believe. I'm not sure if New Zealand style Chinese is the same, but it might be worth investigating.

Funny thing is, the Ho Lee Chow in Itaewon is more like a fine dining restaurant (although I use that term loosely) -- the Ho Lee Chows I patronised back in Canada were more like Chinese fast food. Which is not to say they're bad... Smile Anyway, the one in Itaewon is really overpriced and not that interesting if you ask me.

There are a few superb Chinese spots here in Incheon, due to the presence of a small local Chinese community. Most of them are clustered around Dong Incheon station. There is also a great restaurant near Jakjeon station.

If you're heading to Seoul, there are a bunch in the alley near the Chinese embassy. Just head down the alley across from the Shinsegae Dapartment store and the Bank of Korea building near Myeongdong.
Mankind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out Fuyi, for a cheaper alternative. Altough not by much. There is 1 in Apujung across from the Galleria and 1 in Ehwa as well.

HAND Smile
Sejong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mankind wrote:
Also check out Fuyi, for a cheaper alternative. Altough not by much. There is 1 in Apujung across from the Galleria and 1 in Ehwa as well.

HAND Smile

Man, I forgot about the Fuyi! Love that stuff... we lost our one in Incheon three months after if opened. Hey, that could be a whole new thread -- why do stores/restaurants here open and close so quickly?
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am really craving chinese food - the stuff you get at home, from the local chinese take-away shop. Can anyone recomend a decent chinese restaurant? I don't care where it is - am willing to travel for a decent feed. though Pusan might be a bit of a stretch (I live in Anyang). Please, please?

They're everywhere. Look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue Flower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy bradley wrote:
Quote:

They're everywhere. Look.

Yes, but I don't consider jajang myeong to be chinese food. I want the stuff I eat in NZ. And i want decent, ie, good, food. Excellent chinese is orgasmic, bad chinese makes you never want to eat it again.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there may be a place at COEX. There seems to be everything there except good Mexican food (which I still cannot find because I did not think Casa de Maya was that good, but I'll be in North America in 5 days so....I can wait)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, here's a comment someone left on my website when I complained about the chinese food in Korea not tasting as good as that back home.

Quote:
Most of the chinese in Korea came from Shangdong area(which is near korean peninsula, across the yellow sea) and they settled in Inchon 100 or more years ago. Since Shandong is not a very "mainstream" area in China, chinese food in Korea is quite different from usual dishes.
I've seen some Korean style Chinese restaurants in the states
'Leosis'

So there you go!
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Flower wrote:
sweet n sour pork/chicken

Isn't that tangsuyuk in Korea? Slightly different but same general taste I thought.
gi66y

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho Lee Chow's in Korea aren't affiliated with Ho Lee Chow's in Canada...

If you're missing North American style Chinese food, I'd strongly recommend them. They have locations in Itaewon, Apkujung, and Ilsan (5 minutes from my house Very Happy).

But, yes, I thought the prices were reasonable until I saw the portions(quite small for 13-15.000). That and they didn't throw in any rice, you had to order it separately. What kind of Chinese restaurants that market themselves as "American style" don't throw in white rice?

The food is kick ass but it still doesn't compare to the Chinese I got in Beijing. Although I always heard that Chinese food in China was different from what you eat in Canada....it looked/ tasted quite similar to what I get back home(although better). It made me wonder at the time if, when you go on the English speaking tours, you get "foreigner friendly" Chinese food.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea is a wasteland for good, cheap Chinese. Which is simply RE-TARDED.

No good Mexican restaurants, I can understand. But CHINESE? Ho Lee Chow has a great name but mediocre food. And as previous posters have mentioned, it's WAY overpriced. BTW, thank heavens we finally have cheap Indian via Chakraa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: