Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public schools vs. hogwan vs. university
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merrilee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Public schools vs. hogwan vs. university Reply with quote

I've been offered a contract to teach at a public school (elem.) less than 100 hours per month (~5 hours a day in a block) for 2.1 million with prepaid air, single housing, 2 weeks vacation in addition to National holidays etc. Is 2 weeks the standard for public schools?

Should I jump at this offer? Is this pretty much guaranteed to be better than a hogwan?

Also, is there any instance in which a university position with ~20 hours per week (exluding those "univ. positions" where you must teach non-university students) would be worse than a hogwan?

From those of you with experience, which of the three would you most prefer (assuming location is not a variable)?
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Public schools vs. hogwan vs. university Reply with quote

merrilee wrote:
Should I jump at this offer? Is this pretty much guaranteed to be better than a hogwan?

Pro: Less issues with finances, so you'll always get your paycheque and you have job security.

Con: 40 students in a class.
desultude

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my university job. I haven't taught children, and don't want to be in the classroom for long hours. But, including prep time, grading, office hours, etc., I do put in at least 40 hours and more.

On the other hand, I have 2 month's vacation, paid. I pretty much have to teach summer and winter camp (I may end up teaching children there, but I do love children, so I may get tired, but it will be okay). But summer and winter camp are paid 25,000 in addition to the 2,400,000 per month I am regularly paid. It almost doubles my monthly income for January and August.

I have great benefits, and I feel very secure. I am not afraid that the university will try to cheat me or will go broke.

I do know people who love hogwan teaching, but I am so glad that I haven't had to do it.
wormholes101

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 12-13 weeks of school vacation in a year. If you have 2 weeks vacation that means you will be working 10 of the 12 weeks that are normally Summer and Winter vacation.

I hope this is not a trend that is starting... Universities have been reducing vacation time and now elementary school Shocked
eamo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big factor that keeps me in Hagwons is (unless you elect to do kindergarten) that the work day rarely starts before 2pm.

Being somewhat of a sloth, and fond of a drink or ten, I can't imagine gettting up early for middle-school or Uni jobs. Just my laziness.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wormholes101 wrote:
There are about 12-13 weeks of school vacation in a year. If you have 2 weeks vacation that means you will be working 10 of the 12 weeks that are normally Summer and Winter vacation.

I hope this is not a trend that is starting... Universities have been reducing vacation time and now elementary school Shocked

It could be. I was told that I have to teach some kind of classes during about half of my vacations...I find it interesting that I'll be teaching when students aren't, uh, in school.

I'd rank like this:
#1-good uni job
#2-public school job
#3-bad uni job
#4-hakwon

Of course, I don't have any experience in Unis, just running on info I've heard.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terms you've outlined seem fair. In general I would think that things would be a little more professional in a public school......not necessarily the case all of the time though.

If you get a chance to take a true Uni position(not a uni hogwan) I'd jump on it! Generally lower hours and lots more vacation time. The pay doesn't seem great at Uni's though.

Good luck.
itchy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Public schools vs. hogwan vs. university Reply with quote

merrilee wrote:
I've been offered a contract to teach at a public school (elem.) less than 100 hours per month (~5 hours a day in a block) for 2.1 million with prepaid air, single housing, 2 weeks vacation in addition to National holidays etc. Is 2 weeks the standard for public schools?

Also, is there any instance in which a university position with ~20 hours per week (exluding those "univ. positions" where you must teach non-university students) would be worse than a hogwan?

From those of you with experience, which of the three would you most prefer (assuming location is not a variable)?

In order of preference:

1. University
2. Public School
3. Stay at home and shine shoes or work at McDonald's
4. Sell non-vital organs
5. Hakwon
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile since this was talked about.

I find there is no mention of business English jobs in this comparison. Also little feedback on middle school and high school jobs.

How about we discuss this a bit more?

I wonder if the OP took the job that was being mentioned and how that is going.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as middle schools go, I've learned what to ask about before I start the job, so that I don't fall into the same traps.

1. Definitely make sure that parents aren't funding your paychecks. If they are, every time you make a mistake, call in sick, or miss a class for whatever school function, there's a good chance you'll be expected to make up the class and/or be reprimanded because parents are paying for classes.

2. Make sure that you're not the only foreign teacher at the school. Never agree, for any reason, to be teaching more than one grade level/13 separate classes, unless you are confident about your teaching skills. I mean really confident. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

3. Enquire about the curriculum. What resources do they have available for you? What resources will you have to create for yourself? It's a lot easier if you have a book to use, or a personal syllabus in your head.

4. Get a specific statement of what the school expects you to do as a teacher. It took me three months to discover that I was supposed to be teaching speaking, and another 3 to finally start gearing my classes in that direction. Make sure that you know exactly what's expected of you.

5. Know a bit about creating jeong with the Korean teachers; they're much more traditional than their hakwon counterparts. Not creating jeong with a couple of teachers at my school made the whole year inevitably turn into hell. Because of this fact alone, it probably will be quite a few years before I try going back to a public school, simply because it's so Korean.

Public school jobs can be great, with some good benefits and vacation time that could rival Uni vacations, but you have to be very flexible and able to develop a natural affinity with Koreans that you meet.
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a decent offer.

However, as some pointed out it is 40 students per class.

Itchy...you sell your organs and or shine shoes before working at a hakwon...

Me I prefer my well paying job at a hakwon where I am well treated and supported....

Not all hakwons are bad itchy...just remember to separate your personal experiences from the broader reality.... Very Happy
Mankind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Quote:
I'd rank like this:
#1-good uni job
#2-public school job
#3-bad uni job
#4-hakwon

I'd put Corporate jobs ahead of all those, if you can find one. Otherwise Agree.

HAND Smile
phaedrus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. You will probably only have to prepare 2-3 lessons per week as each class at each grade level repaeats the same lesson. Two weeks vacation sounds a bit low. I get three plus an additional two if I renew each year.

It will be way better than a hagwon. Is it government or is it privately owned. I find actual public education to be very rewarding as there is no dollar to teaching connection. I feel I really do it for the student's best interests, even the poor students......especially........
merrilee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

Mr. Pink,

The OP took a job at a college instead.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: nope Reply with quote

merrilee wrote:
Mr. Pink,

The OP took a job at a college instead.

Ahh good to hear from you Smile

How has your college been this year?

I am just curious to hear if education standards are getting better/worse or staying the same.

Back home students attending universities are getting better ever year...assumed that SHOULD happen here, not sure if it does though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: