Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is getting a car worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: is getting a car worth it? Reply with quote

I've thought about getting a car so I can get out of Seoul on weekends. I've investigated cost, insurance, licensing, and for something small it isn't so expensive. Has anyone done this too? I really miss the countryside and being able to go where I want to go. Am fed up of the BMW (bus, metro, walk) thing. Aside from crazy drivers and traffic, all in all is it worth getting a car here?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

But it can be stressful. Don't go to the country on a weekend or a holiday. Save country driving for weekdays when you are on vacation. I love my car, even though it is but ugly. Or rather because it is, and I dont' have to worry if it gets banged up.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with KCK. At times it's stressful but at the right time it's fantastic having the option to hop into the car and zip across town or out into the countryside.
Gas prices are high, but the initial costs and fees are low enough to make it worthwhile.
makushi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to maintain your sanity here...GET A CAR! (How's that for a middle of the road answer?)

Seriously, the greatest frustration I ever experienced in Seoul was the daily commute on the subway, bus, etc.

A car guarantees you a certain amount of personal space. You can crank the aircon turn up the tunes and sit in traffic like the rest of Seoul...

The best time to drive is before noon on Saturday/Sunday (in Seoul). As previously stated, save the country side for weekdays. Especially now that we are into the craziness of summer vacation.

If you have a family the importance and benefits of a car increase exponentially....

One hint: don't take other drivers seriously...just be real cool "like Fonzie" and you will get to where you are going w/o losing a couple gallons of sweat like you would on the subway...
viva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Korea so much more now that I have a carand can enjoy some of the sites that are off the beaten path. It brings with it a great sense of freedom and the ability to get out of the city and away from all the noise, etc.

I bought mine (an old ugly car that runs perfectly) for 450, 000 Won. Insurance was also really cheap, I believe it was around 180, 000 Won for a year. If you are over 26 your insurance will be quite cheap.

I would highly recommed getting a car if you like to get out of the city and enjoy some peace and quiet.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even think twice about it if I lived in Seoul, but it'd definitely make my life a lot less taxing if I had one for going between Cheonan and Suwon.
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I want a car now too!

What's the deal then, do I have to apply for an international drivers license, or just swap my Aussie one for a Korean one when I arrive?
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, a car yes it's great to have one here. But like lots of things there are drawbacks to owning a car here. Insurance against the other person come at three levels of cover. The reason for this is that you can be up for hundreds of millions of won if you acidently killed someone like a student doctor. You have to compensate his family / wife for their loss. Delivery boys are a lot cheaper on payouts.

That said having a car here makes all the differance to enjoying Korea. I've had mine for five years roughly now and have clocked up 40,000 klm.

Um, license requires a trip to the Australian embassy for Australians to ge a little stamp stuck on a form that the motor regestry will give you. Testing is also comming in sometime this year so race if you want a Korean license. They're cheap apart from having to go to your embassy.
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A car would be good to get out of the city sometimes.
But, i would not drive one to go to work even if they paid me too. I prefer to take the subway to and from work. Takes me 20 minutes each way. I would not take the car to go out either..prefer to cab it or bus it.
Not a question of money really but of convenience for me.
If someone lives outside the city then a car would be more important.
I find that the train and bus combo can get you almost anywhere you want to go in Korea. But, a car can be practical for some things for sure.
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a car because I was more or less muscled into it by my company for "image purposes."

Paid a very reasonable 11.5 mil. for a loaded `99 Grandeur XG Q30. Getting my US license converted took 2 hours at the Gangnam Driver's License Testing office. Insurance 900K/year. Registration, registration service & aquisition tax less than a mil.

I took a look at some cheaper mid-range cars (Avante, Sonata, Magnus, etc.) which I would've preferred, but unfortunately they did not match the "image" requirement (NEVER take your company sexretary car shopping with you^^). Also saw some really old ones that looked like they were ok for people that only need to drive it for a year or so but don't want to spend too much.

The buying process in itself was suprisingly fun, partly because I had a good dealer who (Young Chan Son with KD Cars, [email protected]) who is used to expat clients and took good care of me.

All in all I'm glad I finally did it. I still take the subway a lot, but just having the option of driving to Carrefour and loading up on a trunkful of food, or going on an impromptu night fishing trip to Pyeongtaek, is worth it.

By the way, for those of you that drive:

What is up with taxi driver's directing traffic??? I highly doubt that insurance will cover you if you cause an accident because you were following the directions of one of these monkeys. What really peeves me is that many of them will wear a blue shirt very similar to that of actual traffic police, so it's kinda hard to tell until you're almost on top of him.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoultrader wrote:
(NEVER take your company sexretary car shopping with you^^)

Freudian slip?
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexcretary. There, satisfied? Laughing
HanPyonghwa

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viva wrote:
I love Korea so much more now that I have a carand can enjoy some of the sites that are off the beaten path. It brings with it a great sense of freedom and the ability to get out of the city and away from all the noise, etc.

I bought mine (an old ugly car that runs perfectly) for 450, 000 Won. Insurance was also really cheap, I believe it was around 180, 000 Won for a year. If you are over 26 your insurance will be quite cheap.

I would highly recommed getting a car if you like to get out of the city and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Hi Viva, I'm looking to buy a car at the moment and your deals are amazing. Where did you find such a cheap car and insurance? How about tax?
I hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks, Pyonghwa x
sm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: car Reply with quote

If you're living in Seoul it's definitely not worth it. Traffic can get pretty bad where the bus/subway is much faster. If you're outside of Seoul, may be worth it for more freedom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: