Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ticketed for spitting?!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Provencher

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Ticketed for spitting?! Reply with quote

So my buddy told me today that he was ticketed for spitting in Itaewon last night. Apparently, he spit on the ground when he walked past the police station. A police officer grabbed him and took him into the station. They asked him his name, he said "Ralph Waldo Emerson". They then issued him a "yellow card" warning ticket, informed him that it is illegal to spit in the street, and then let "Ralph" go.

Heard of this before? I still can't get over the hypocrisy. I've been in Korea for 20 months and not a single day has passed which I haven't seen somebody spit. Countless times Koreans have spit in my direction while walking by. I don't get it. WTF? Discuss.
ajgeddes

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need proof. Would love to see a photo of the ticket.
Ed Provencher

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get it. It's in Korean. "Ralph" said he is going to frame it. I'll post it, for sure.
toddswift

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like poetic justice to me.
koreandefence

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ticketed for spitting?! Reply with quote

Ed Provencher wrote:
So my buddy told me today that he was ticketed for spitting in Itaewon last night. Apparently, he spit on the ground when he walked past the police station. A police officer grabbed him and took him into the station. They asked him his name, he said "Ralph Waldo Emerson". They then issued him a "yellow card" warning ticket, informed him that it is illegal to spit in the street, and then let "Ralph" go.

Heard of this before? I still can't get over the hypocrisy. I've been in Korea for 20 months and not a single day has passed which I haven't seen somebody spit. Countless times Koreans have spit in my direction while walking by. I don't get it. WTF? Discuss.

My god man! He spat on the street, there is a law against it, big deal. Get over it and move on. Where is the 'hypocrisy'? Are you assuming Korean people don't get fined? Well prove that or shut it! People like you get all put out over what? Your friend getting in trouble for spitting, they should of fined him and not just warned him.
Kiss
tzechuk

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS illegal to spit on the ground in Korea.

However, Korea isn't much known for its propaganda prowess when it comes to doing things that are GOOD for the nation and for the world... so people largely ignore this little known law.
victorology

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like the guy who posted here last week about getting a ticket for throwing a cigarette butt on the ground. I know Koreans who have gotten fined for that, too. It's like how you'll probably get away with speeding 99% of the time back home. It's not that people don't get caught.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't imagine them giving a ticket to a Korean ajossi for spitting on the sidewalk. It is the law? That's odd. I see people doing everywhere.
Is this story true? I think the name he picked was cool - Ralph Waldo Emerson. Anyway, why was your buddy spitting in the street? Was it because he is in Korea?
anyway

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st world better get ready because Korea is coming!!!
Ed Provencher

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:
I just can't imagine them giving a ticket to a Korean ajossi for spitting on the sidewalk. It is the law? That's odd. I see people doing everywhere.
Is this story true? I think the name he picked was cool - Ralph Waldo Emerson. Anyway, why was your buddy spitting in the street? Was it because he is in Korea?

The guy told me he practically never spits. Also, he told me that he told the police he was from "Pizza School". Self reliance.

Last edited by Ed Provencher on Sun May 18, 2008 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Eedoryeong

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A yellow card for spitting?

What color card do they give for puking?
Ed Provencher

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ticketed for spitting?! Reply with quote

koreandefence wrote:
Ed Provencher wrote:

My god man! He spat on the street, there is a law against it, big deal. Get over it and move on. Where is the 'hypocrisy'?

Quote:
Are you assuming Korean people don't get fined?

Yes.

Quote:
Well prove that or shut it!

Are you serious?

Quote:
People like you get all put out over what? Your friend getting in trouble for spitting, they should of fined him and not just warned him.
Kiss

Okay. Thanks.
Ed Provencher

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tzechuk wrote:
It IS illegal to spit on the ground in Korea.

However, Korea isn't much known for its propaganda prowess when it comes to doing things that are GOOD for the nation and for the world... so people largely ignore this little known law.

How did you learn that it is illegal to spit on the ground in Korea?
samd

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't they ask him for his ARC? By law he should be carrying it.

OP, I'm sure your friend told you the story, and that you believe him, are you sure he didn't make it all up?
Ed Provencher

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samd wrote:
Why didn't they ask him for his ARC? By law he should be carrying it.

OP, I'm sure your friend told you the story, and that you believe him, are you sure he didn't make it all up?

We're talking about honest Abe himself. I'll get a photo of the ticket and post it. It happened.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: