Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what kind of insect is this? (Looks like a brain or a bean)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddie1983man

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: what kind of insect is this? (Looks like a brain or a bean) Reply with quote

Hi,

Lately I have been finding a couple of these little bugs around my apartment and in my dogs fur. The best way to describe them i guess would be to say they look brain or bean shaped.

They have a mushy body that is round, juicy and soft and if you squeeze it they are very hard to pop.

I have found 2 creeping aorund the floor, and one was attached to my dog.

They range from 3 to 7 mm in size.

they are a purple/bluish color with very tiny legs and head.

There body takes up 99% of their size.

any ideas? They are creeping my girlfriend out and i think they might be feeding off of my dog.

thanks.
moosehead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they sure sound like ticks - might want to google images, ticks and then research korea ticks and see

tho with all the folks flying w/pets these days, it could very well be an invasive species.

ticks swell up as they suck blood from the host, tiny head, which is buried in the host's body, tiny legs,

if they are attached to the dog, you need to kill the tick or convince it to back out, otherwise if the head stays buried because you break it off, it can cause an infection (not always but sometimes)

I still have a scar from breaking one off my waist when I was a kid.

you can use a cotton swab, and some alcohol to try and convince them to let go, also light a match, blow it out and quickly touch the tick, that will burn them and they should let go then.

if they are in your house, you might need to buy some dust (pesticide) for fleas and ticks. ticks like wood, trees, if your dog's been romping outdoors, yes, she could have brought some home.

ticks are vectors, they carry diseases, so best to have your pet checked out by a vet; bring the bug with you if you can
ryouga013

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably ticks but if you can get any type of picture up for us it might help speed things along... also, how many legs do these things have?
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is tick season (Spring). When they hop aboard they are very small. But when they become full of blood their body, as you say, balloons way out of proportion compared to their head and legs. And the body becomes very taut and shiny. As you say like a bean.

I asked a forester if there is Lyme disease in Korea carried by ticks as there is in the U.S. and this Korean forester said no. I asked other people do ticks carry serious disease in Korea and they all said no, also. The U.S. Army in Korea site warns to be wary of ticks, however. If you look up Lyme disease you will find out about the circular rash and the initial symptoms. Rush to get treatment and it doesn't set in and become the chronic, dangerous disease stage.

Google ticks.
eddie1983man

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are definetly ticks. I did a quick search on my dog for them and i found 2 attached and one swollen itchy bump. I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow.

Going to have to look into some pesticide as well.

thnx guys
Lekker

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come from Pennsylvania which has the exact same climate, four seasons, etc. Ticks like wooded areas.

Lymes disease is NOT something you want, and if you were to contract it here, you could be shit out of luck because it is not something that happens here, but here's the thing. It comes from deer and I think horses as well. You need to look it up. I think Korean doctors in all their intelligence would have no idea how to treat it. When was the last time you saw a deer in Korea? In PA deer are all over the place, so kids are always getting checked by their parents to make sure they don't have any ticks in their hair.

I was bit by a tick in the stomach. The best way to get them out, since the head actually burrows under the skin and the teeth attach underneath, is to deprive the body of air, with nail polish remover, then nail polish itself. The tick should let go and you can pull it out. Do not grab it with pliers or tweezers and rip it out of your dog. The body can very easily detach from the head and the head will still be in there, and it won't die. Or you could just put a lighter up to it, this worked on my sister when she was 7, but wasn't fun for her.

As I said, I was bit by one once. I put nail polish on it and within a few hours it came out. About a month later, I was in Wyoming when I started to come down with symptoms of lymes disease. Chronic fatigue, weight loss, achy joints. Plus, where the tick had bitten me, the skin had begun to turn purple with tiny white bubbles on it. I was a bit freaked out so I went to a local clinic, where the doctor had no idea what it was that was causing these symptoms. I had to go to a hospital 65 miles away to see a doctor who knew what it was that was causing this. He had no internet service, just a bunch of books. It took him about two hours to look it up while I waited in the waiting room until about 2am. Imagine a doctor in Korea trying to deal with this. Question

Then again, deer are not very common here but it does sound like you might have a problem with deer ticks. Get it checked out. A friend of mine came down with lymes disease, he had it for a good 4 months before he did anything about it. He was in his bed all the time, his parents had to give him injections. He was really sick, could have died. This is something you need to deal with now.
Lekker

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oes.org/html/how_2_identify_different_ticks.html
kiwiduncan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks anything like this then it's definately a tick.

captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey stick.

I found a tick on my ass two years ago. It was hideous. And I don't even have a hairy ass.
Rob'sdad

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rub Vasoline around it.
djsmnc

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disease pictures or stfu!
Stormy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiduncan wrote:

Laughing

I'm still getting used to the fact that nobody uses ticks here for marking - just circles and crosses. I refuse to conform though & continue ticking everything, being a teacher it's just too hard a habit to break.
dogshed

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy wrote:
kiwiduncan wrote:

Laughing

I'm still getting used to the fact that nobody uses ticks here for marking - just circles and crosses. I refuse to conform though & continue ticking everything, being a teacher it's just too hard a habit to break.

That's not a tick. That's a check mark.
Stormy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone identify this insect? Just found it as I was sweeping my apartment. Some kind of centipede??

moosehead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain kirk wrote:

I asked a forester if there is Lyme disease in Korea carried by ticks as there is in the U.S. and this Korean forester said no. I asked other people do ticks carry serious disease in Korea and they all said no, also. The U.S. Army in Korea site warns to be wary of ticks, however. If you look up Lyme disease you will find out about the circular rash and the initial symptoms. Rush to get treatment and it doesn't set in and become the chronic, dangerous disease stage.

Google ticks.

what makes you think a Korean forester would know about Lyme disease, much less if it's in K or, finally, would admit it?

there were cases of bird flu here and it wasn't even acknowledged until more than a year after the fact. If they can't own up to something that serious, they sure as hell aren't going to admit to Lyme disease.

like I said, people travel w/their pets and they aren't always quarantined. Also ticks come into countries on wood furniture that's imported, and a lot of stuff here comes from China, Indonesia, etc. Easy for a tick to hop on and catch a ride.

one pretty much needs to watch out for one's self, not always depend on the govt, is all I'm saying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: