Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa for China-Where and how long?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Visa for China-Where and how long? Reply with quote

I'm planning to take a wee vacation in Shanghai at the beginning of January and I need to know where I can locate the Chinese consulate and how long/much does it take to get the visa??

I'm not to keen on sending my passport to a travel agent....

BB
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese embassy in Seoul is in the Kyobo building, Line #5, Ganghwamun station. Not sure which exit... but go to where Kyobo books are and instead of going down the stairs into the book store, walk up the stairs and into the street. The Kyobo building is right there.

Shanghai is a special economic zone (SEZ) and as such, I think you can get a landing visa if you are only going to be there for 48 hours or less... but don't take my word for this, check it out.
peppergirl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one in Japan last year... they charged me extra cause I'm not Japanese. They wouldn't even do it at the consulate, had to go through a travel agent (yep, extra fee of course). It cost me about 9000 yen (900000 won) for a single entry visa, good for 3 months I think. It took just a couple of days, and was not difficult to get at all. They just want to make some money out of it I guess!
Let us know how it works here, might go to Shanghai for a trip next year!
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Chinsee embassy move? I thought it was in Myeongdong.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
erlyn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that location processes visas. I had a visa done in September, and let the travel agent handle it. I think it was either 45,000 or 50,000 won (I'm Canadian), but I know it's more for Americans, possibly 80,000 won, due to some tit-for-tat price increase thing they've got going on with the American government. I remember the Americans we were travelling with being rather hacked off, and I can't blame them.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new Chinese Embassy being built in Myeong-dong & they were there before, but at the moment, I'm pretty sure they relocated to the 9th floor in the Kyobo building. Can always double check by giving them a call.

54 HYOJA-DONG, JONGNO-GU, SEOUL, 110033
Tel: +822-7381038
Fax: +822-7381077
E-mail: [email protected]
half_pint

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do give out visas at the location in the Kyobo building, but there are only certain tmes they give out visas for foreigners. It's only for a few hours in the morning; call before you go to check the time (I didn't call before I went the first time and tried going after lunch and stood in line for hours, so that was kind of a waste of a day). You can pick up the visa after 4 days (there is an option to get it faster but it is more expensive). I think it cost me 45,000 won, and I'm Canadian. It would have been more expensive to get the travel agent to do it.

Oh yeah, I did this in July, so this was the case then at least.

Have a great trip!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: