Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shipping a car to korea from US
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuno808

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: shipping a car to korea from US Reply with quote

hey all,

just wondering, besides the actual shipping cost, does anyone know what more i have to pay to bring a car into korea (import duties and other taxes). i talked to the korean consulate and he referred me to the WA DC consulate and he told me flat out 34% of value and hung up. i called back to clarify but i got answering machine. does this sound right to everyone? and if its true, does he mean like kelly blue book value even though custom ppl in korea may not know what kelly blue book is. i hope he doesn't mean the value of the car of what its worth in korea because cars in korea are almost twice as much in the US. appreciate input on this. thanks!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars are cheap
(a new SM3 is $16000 or less - used cars for less than shipping costs)
Fuel is EXPENSIVE ($8-10 per gallon),
Parking is expensive or non-existent,
Public transit is cheap and frequent.

Why would anyone in their right mind try to import a car?

kuno808

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: shipping car from US to Korea Reply with quote

hey ttompatz,

i am still paying off my car loan which is a lot more than what its worth. so essentially, i will be in korea paying this off while its sits at my sister's place. i do plan to be in korea at least 4 years to forever. i know i will most likely use public transportation most of the time but i know it would make me and my mom's life easier if we had a car instead of asking my aunties or uncle for a ride for the lengthier trips. it is still a decision i have to make but the choice will be easier to know how much everything is going to cost. i know you sent me a link before to calculate but whenever i submitted the calculation, it just sent me back to the main page. your thoughts?
Wisconsinite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure you can't bring a car overseas that has a lien holder on the title. I think it has to be a free and clear title to ship abroad.

You will eat so much in import taxes (yeah 34% sounds right) and the cost of ACTUALLY owning one in Korea that I would store the car, pay it off as soon as humanly possible and sell it. That is what I did a few years ago.

Seriously, not worth it to bring it to Korea.
peppermint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine is an car exporter, and he told me that North American cars and Korean cars have different safety and emissions standards- not always higher or lower, but different. Might want to check that your NA car meets the Korean standards.
kuno808

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: shipping a car to korea from US Reply with quote

hey peppermint,

ooooh, never thought about that. better look into that too. thanks! *sigh*
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, really bad idea. Especially if you're living in Seoul. Use public transportation here. It's great.

And lengthier trips? Have you looked at a map of Korea? Laughing

Seriously, between the subway, trains, buses and car rentals (get your Korean license) having a car here is pretty much a waste of money.

And just out of morbid curiosity, you did say your mother is coming with you?
KumaraKitty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Brother in Law shipped his fully loaded Town & Country mini-van over when Samsung relocated him and his family. After all the taxes, duty and fees, it cost him over $10,000.00USD. He was not impressed, especially since they hadn't let him know it would be anywhere near that in advance!
They had to do some inspections and they said his turn signals were the wrong colour, so they had to be replaced. It was going to cost several thousand dollars to do so, but he was "encouraged" to slip the inspectors $200 each to get around it. We thought this was pretty ridiculous considering how many cars drive around without lights on and not using turn signals.
Keep in mind that the cost can be higher than you are quoted and there can be last minute charges or "fees" at the port once it arrives here.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulsucker wrote:
Really, really bad idea. Especially if you're living in Seoul. Use public transportation here. It's great.

And lengthier trips? Have you looked at a map of Korea? Laughing

Seriously, between the subway, trains, buses and car rentals (get your Korean license) having a car here is pretty much a waste of money.

?

umm because perhaps you want to drive to the coast, the mountain, go to emart and load up the car, get in the car and go for a drive!

not having a car in korea is crazy! I dont know how people can live without a car in their life.. guess you guys dont get out much..

I have had a car for 8 years here and WOULD NEVER EVER go without one here.. NOWAY!
kuno808

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: hey seoulsucker Reply with quote

no no, my parents just moved to korea about 5 months ago from the US to retire but my dad suddenly passed away last month in seoul. my mom has her brothers and sisters to help her anyway they can. i made the decision to move to korea to be with her and help her also. i know the public transportation is great and relatively inexpensive. as i plan to be in korea for a while to come, and it would give us a piece of mind knowing we have our own trasportation in case we need to go out of the city like to iksan. i don't like the idea of her having to use ipublic transportation all the time and we both now our relatives will offer assistance but i don't want to burden them so that is why i thought i could make life easier for the both of us if we had a car. i thought cars in korea were super expensive but ttompaz made the point that it is affordable. Kurmara Kitty gave me an example of what it would cost and thats not really a price i can afford. thanks everyone for the input. this puts things in a different light.
kuno808

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: cars Reply with quote

hey itaewonguy,

did you buy your car in korea or had it shipped over?
spilot101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that if you ship a Korean car to Korea (say, from the US), you do not have to pay the insane tariff. I'm curious though, does that extend to even the Korean models made overseas, or is just for the ones assembled in Korea?
Cheers.

Last edited by spilot101 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilot101 wrote:
I heard that if you ship a Korean car to Korea (say, from the US), you do not have to pay the insane tariff. I'm curious though, does that extend to even the Korean models made overseas, or is just for the ones that are made in Korea?
Cheers.

Yeah, I'd like to know that too. I'm sure the Korean cars made in America are probably safer and have better features than the ones made in Korea.
spilot101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best suggestion? Sell the car, use the proceeds to pay off as much as your loan as possible, and then suck it up and pay off the rest from over here in Korea.

You don't need a car here, and the depreciation is going to continue to rip into the resale value if you just leave it there.

Eat the loss and chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: