Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheese, salsa and other western foods
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marsha marsha marsha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Cheese, salsa and other western foods Reply with quote

Okay. I have seen everyone posting on Carrefour and Lotte but I just wanted to let the newbies or oldbies that are out of touch know where to get the good stuff.

Itaewon is pretty much it.
The best place to get salsa is the Halal food shop behind the Hamilton Hotel. Its the shop that Muslims use to buy meat. They carry nachos, salsa, boneless chicken in big bags, curry, lots of stuff we use when cooking back home. AND they are cheaper than your typical blackmarket shop because they handcarry much of it from other countries or buy it wholesale in Korea.

There are 2 blackmarket shops, selling everything from poptarts to butter balls on the same street. One is run by an ajumma and the other is run by her daughter. They are very close together. Go to main Itaewon Road and take a right at the Burger King. Walk down about 3 blocks and you will see a money exchange on the left after passing a few "antique" stores. Her shop is on the left. It is very very small so look carefully. She has miniblinds to hide things a bit. A few stores down is her daughter. If you see a Pakistani restaurtant called Kashmir, you have gone to far (my friend's place, yummy, check it out). The ladies sell lots of cheese and stuff you want from home so look in their fridges. They don't mind really! Laughing

The another shop is called Jel. It is on Veggie Hill leading to the Hyatt. It is very expensive but still nice. Good selection of stuff when they just restocked. Most of their cheeses come from Australia so you will get a wider selection, like gouda and brie, than you will at the blackmarket shops that are all Army base goods.

The last is the Itaewon Market. Quite overpriced compared to the others but you can get some rare stuff there. It past Hannam towards the Hannam Village going towards Kangnam. It is below the Volvo Bldg.

Hope this helps. Drop me a line if you have anymore questions about food. I was in Korea for 4 years and rarely craved and didn't get what I was wanting!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for more precise directions to those shops past the Burger King.

Though, I have to say that I can find salsa and nachos without too much trouble. Cheese, that's the big bother. -_-
Not Angry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best place for cheese is Costco. The one in Yangjae has a great selection. By far the best I have seen in Korea. A few varieties of Cheddar... Real Wisconsin Cheddar, not that Australian immitaion stuff. And a large variety of others... I even bought some pepper jack. gouda and co-jack. A bit out of the way but as you a forced to buy in large quantities you don't need to make the trip to often.
marsha marsha marsha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Forgot Reply with quote

Forgot to say that the salsa you can get at the shop behind hamilton has the big jug of salsa. Last I checked, it was 8000 won but that was quite some time ago. Still a good price and keeps ya from carrying around those glass bottles too.
panthermodern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Cheese? Reply with quote

[quote="Not Angry"]Best place for cheese is Costco. The one in Yangjae has a great selection. By far the best I have seen in Korea. A few varieties of Cheddar... Real Wisconsin Cheddar, not that Australian immitaion stuff. And a large variety of others... I even bought some pepper jack. gouda and co-jack. A bit out of the way but as you a forced to buy in large quantities you don't need to make the trip to often.[/quote]

Australian Cheese is immitation ? Sorry real cheese does not come in individual slices.

Sorry the Bega cheese is way better then anything from cheese headed Wisconsin ... "REAL WISCONSON CHEDDAR" hahahaha

that like saying real Californian Champagain ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
waygooksaram

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also http://grocerymall.com for those who like their food delivered to their door. The shipping is free when you order over 60.000 won, which is usually not a problem for me. It rocks, except for the toooo expensive can of refried beans.
waygooksaram

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! sorry, it's http://www.grocerymall.net/ Embarassed
mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

being an impartial canadian, i can say that white australian cheddar kicks the ass of that nasty orange "real" wisconsin cheddar. It's advertised as very sharp cheddar. You've got to be joking!

either way, I bought 10 pounds, cuz it's better than processed cheese.

MiT
katydid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance, but becuase all the cool stuff does seem to be only in Seoul, is grocery.net Korea-wide or just Seoul and surrounding area wide?

OK, just found out the answer to my own question. Here's my real question...how often to they get new stuff in? I'd like some chesse, but no block of cheddar is worth 25,000 won.
justagirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The block of cheddar is 5 pounds. That makes it 5,000 a pound, then into US dollars, $4.17/lb. That's not very expensive for living in another country and having it imported. It's a huge hunk of cheese! Very Happy
helly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jel Deli is closed/gone/now an "exclusive wine club" or some such nonsense.

Hannan Supermarket is pretty well-stocked. Basement of the Volvo Building in Hannam-dong
erlyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't forget Haddon House, just up the hill from Oksu station. They carry (at last count) at least three different kinds of european butter. They also have a lovely cheese section - they've started selling cheese in smaller blocks - including small deli packs of feta cheese (not the stuff in the oil). I even found Moosehead beer there once. They also carry a variety of instant noodle packs from Thailand and Vietnam, and a bit of antipasti packed in oil - semi dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, onions in balsamic vinegar....

At Hannam Market, the guy just in the foyer there sells cottage cheese - off the base, I think. It's the only place in Korea I've seen cottage cheese, although you have to watch the expiry dates. Also, Diet Pepsi, which is deeply exciting to me. Razz
justaskdan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Pohang and I get really good cheeses at EMART. Gouda, the white Australian Aged Cheddar rocks, Edam, Brie. And I get the best Havarti at Walmart and Lotte in Daegu and Busan.

I get corn tortias, Jimmy Dean Breakfast sausages and maple syrup on the net.

www.grocerymall.net
www.Yoricome.com
komtengi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bset cheese is in the lobby of hannam supermarket, the deli has a kick arse selection there..... hyatt has some good stuff, but kinda pricey. As for the two best places for bread, check out the bakery at the hyatt and Paris Bagette in Hannam Dong or Apkujung dong
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, Wal-Mart (Changwon) has real stoves (meaning it includes an oven) for only W249,000. Not a bad investment for long-termers.

The same store also carries frozen peas, corn, cauliflower and mixed veggies. Tomato sauce is only W1,000 rather than the standard W3,000. In the baking section they carry hunks of chocolate that makes into truly divine chocolate pudding in about 15 minutes. Not instant pudding mind you, but the real stuff. I also saw some plastic limes with juice.

But I still say that no place is truly civilized until Miracle Whip becomes standard at every grocery store. It is the single most important criteria for civilized life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: