Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What students want

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: What students want Reply with quote

Students Prefer Hands-on Style Classes

Different methods of teaching may be needed to keep students' interests in what they learn at school, according to the Korean Educational Development Institute (KEDI).

According to the results of a survey conducted by the KEDI last year, the favorite school subjects of elementary and junior high school students were the ones they could get hands-on experience in, such as computer studies and physical education.

On a scale of 1 to 9 asking students their interest, preference and grade in each school subject, the students gave the highest average of 7.81 to their computer classes, followed by physical education with 7.55, according to Lee Jae-boon, a researcher at the KEDI.

The surveyed students gave the lowest average scores of 5.93 for English language classes and 6.06 for social studies, Lee said.

Teachers tended to favor more static, lecture-oriented subjects, according to a different survey, and that may have had something to do with students losing interest in those subjects, according to Lee.

"Students' interest in activity-oriented subjects was high through junior high school, but their interest in more lecture-oriented subjects, such as Korean language and ethics classes, diminished as they advanced to higher grades," she said.

While second grade elementary school students gave 7.03 for their mathematics class, second graders in junior high school gave a mere 5.49.

Students� interest in English language classes also showed a similar drop, from 6.39 given by fourth graders in elementary school down to 5.21 by junior high school students.

"Teachers seem to prefer instruction-giving classes because it is easier for them. But as it is very clear that students are losing interest in those sit-in lectures, I think may be it is time to change teaching methods to suit the students, not their preference," Lee said.

"Although science classes may very easily become boring, students gave the subject a high 6.66 because they could get their hands on at least some experiments," she added.

Korea Times
Site: http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200303/kt2003030518092011980.htm
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to invite my students to be physical when they do conversations. i.e. act. Shake hands. Point to stuff. Make facial expressions.

But it's a long, long, uphill road...
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Korean Education System reads that article and modifies their approach to teaching Korean kids.. It might lead to having more well-rounded students that are more effectively educated..

The Fonz
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can we be active in a language class?
Here are my suggestions:

Cool draw objects which are denoted by nouns
    Cool rearrange alphabet tiles to spell words
    Cool rearrange flannelboard dots to spell words in Braille
    Cool repeat sentences in sign language
    Cool play sentences on musical instruments as they are commonly spoken

The last item can usually be executed on only four notes.
For further information, see:

http://www.pentatonika.com/spoken.html
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomato wrote:
How can we be active in a language class?
Here are my suggestions:

Cool draw objects which are denoted by nouns
    Cool rearrange alphabet tiles to spell words
    Cool rearrange flannelboard dots to spell words in Braille
    Cool repeat sentences in sign language
    Cool play sentences on musical instruments as they are commonly spoken

are you tripping right now? Braille? Sign language? Musical instruments?

those are good ideas though

Last edited by gang ah jee on Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do student want? A GOOD KICK IN THE ARSE!
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always easy to say we need to do something, but it's a completely different thing to be able to pull it off in the classroom. Many times I've tried to get my kid's doing things that involve movement or doing something other than book work, but I have a terrible time trying to explain things to them. The hardest thing is just trying to get them to understand that something will actually be FUN. I tried to play Simon Says with them, but I can't seem to get the concept of the game accross to them, and similarly with other movement games. I usually just end up being very frustrated with a lot of confused kids on my hands.
Not that I don't want to try these things, but does anyone have any suggestions for explaining new movement games to young children when they don't understand most of what I say?
Thanks
Cheers
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not that I condone rehashing the incident, but if you want to get kids acting when they speak, the most successful technique I've found to explain it is a simple...

..."Ohno action!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: