Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUIDE: AUTHENTICATING A BACKGROUND CHECK FROM WITHIN KOREA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have the affidavit...which looks like a joke.

It's a piece of paper. I proceeded to fill it out but she told me I did it wrong. She told me just to write "I don't have a criminal record"

Then you go pay 31,500. Then you wait for your name to be called. Then you sign the paper and they put the nice seal on it.

I called in sick to travel 3 hours for this. It better be accepted.

Oh, this was the US embassy.
Firearcher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: CDN Criminal Record Check Reply with quote

yes

Last edited by Firearcher on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You must have the affidavit...which looks like a joke.

The purpose of notarization is to authentic the document, making sure that the document was signed by the person whose name is on the document. That is why the document has to be signed in the presence of the notary. The notary must witness the signer actually signing the document.

The idea that a CRC has to be notarized is ridiculous for this reason:

1. You can't get an acceptable background check without fingerprint submission. If you submit bogus prints those doing the criminal background check - i.e. the FBI - will know the prints aren't those of the person seeking the background check and only those whose the prints belong to can request a background check.

That fact alone makes getting the CRC notarized a joke. That is probably why the Embassy doesn't notarize CRCs - they can't - and instead will verify an affidavit - which is nothing other than a sworn statement by the swearer stating or 'swearing' that the CRC is theirs. Well of course they are, the CRC was gained through my fingerprint submission, they can only be mine.

What Korean immigration is asking us to do is sign a statement saying the CRC is ours and have the Embassy official verify "Yup, that person says that CRC is his" while he takes $30.00.

Another example of why Korea is not quite a world leader and will never be. They can't think things through, can't think ahead and don't ask questions of those who have gone before.

To fulfill this ridiculous requirement, one must journey to Seoul, usual spend the night in a hotel, pay $30 and return before submitting the visa paperwork.

All the while the person is on this needless journey, if they are a thinking person, is quite likely asking, "Why am I doing this?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im planning on going to Korea with a F-4 Visa, do I need a background check done to work in a hagwon?

I want to get it done in the States if I need one Surprised
Ut videam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenas wrote:

1. You can't get an acceptable background check without fingerprint submission.

False.

Immigration only requires a name-search-based background check. They do not require a fingerprint check.

I agree that requiring notarization for a fingerprint card is kind of silly. On the other hand, it wouldn't be too difficult to get fingerprinted and then fake the FBI "No record" stamp on the back of the card. So, the notarization or affidavit does serve a purpose.
spliff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinook wrote:
According to this website http://www.immigration.go.kr/indeximmeng.html you don't need to get a criminal records check to reissue a visa if you are here on one? Does anyone know if this means just another E-2 visa or another one with the exact same school?

Can anyone confirm whether the above is true or not.
Ut videam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spliff wrote:
chinook wrote:
According to this website http://www.immigration.go.kr/indeximmeng.html you don't need to get a criminal records check to reissue a visa if you are here on one? Does anyone know if this means just another E-2 visa or another one with the exact same school?

Can anyone confirm whether the above is true or not.

From http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/IMM80/imm_09/1184186_37493.jsp (emphasis added):
Quote:
In addition, those with the E-2 visa issued after Dec 15 2007 no longer need to submit the criminal record certificate to reissue the same type of visa while staying in Korea.

Those whose visas were issued after December 15, 2007 have already provided a CRC to immigration. Hence, if you've already provided a CRC, you don't need to provide another one to extend your visa or apply for a new visa from within Korea.

If you have not yet provided a CRC, however, you will have to provide one at your next extension or application for new E-2.
Zenas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ut videam wrote:
Zenas wrote:

False.

Immigration only requires a name-search-based background check. They do not require a fingerprint check.

Does anyone have the exact wording in the Immigration Law?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ut videam wrote:
Zenas wrote:

False.

From the first post of this thread:

"Once you receive the background check (issued by federal, state, or local authorities per Immigration regs)"

Federal, i.e, the FBI - state or local law authorities will not issue a CRC w/o fingerprints.

Anyone know where the official Korean English translation of the new law can be found?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FBI will not issue a CRC without fingerprints.

Some states and local jurisdictions will not issue a CRC without fingerprints. Most, however, will issue a CRC based on a name search.

Quote:
Korean government requires a proof of criminal records issued by the relevant nation�s government for its citizens to use for any number of international activities, such as employment. It will accept records issued by the federal, provincial, state, local authorities.

Source: http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/InfoDetailR_en.pt?categoryId=2&parentId=382&catSeq=385&showMenuId=374&visaId=E2

According to a deputy director of Korean Immigration, a name search is sufficient for Korean immigration purposes (emphasis added):
Quote:
There are two ways for Canadians to get the criminal record check.

One is by contacting the Royal Mounted Police which requires the ten finger prints and time-consuming. The other one is to contact with the local police station of his or her province which does not require finger prints but only index-based search. The Ministry of Justice accepts the latter.

Source: http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=1499843

In summation:
  • Immigration regulations state that a federal, state, provincial, or local check is acceptable.
  • Many�though not all�state, provincial, and local authorities will issue a CRC based on an index search without requiring fingerprint submission.
  • Nowhere in the Immigration regulations does it state that a fingerprint-based check is required.
  • A high-ranking official of the immigration service has stated in e-mail correspondence that fingerprints are not required and that an index-based search fulfills Korean Immigration's requirements.
  • Numerous applicants (myself included) have already successfully obtained E-2 visas under the new regulations by submitting a CRC based on an index search with no fingerprint submission.
Zenas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Numerous applicants (myself included) have already successfully obtained E-2 visas under the new regulations by submitting a CRC based on an index search with no fingerprint submission.

Yes, but the CRC must be issued through a legal government authority, not an internet search.

Quote:

There are two ways for Canadians to get the criminal record check.

For Canucks, that's fine, but I know of no US government agency which will issue a CRC w/o fingerprints. there might be some boondocks local police station that will, but many of us don't come from the boondocks.

And for Pete's sake, what didn't Korean immigration pay a native speaker to write their English version of the new regulations? Hard enough to understand the legal mumbo jumbo w/o having to interpret what the hell they are trying to say.
Ut videam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenas wrote:
Yes, but the CRC must be issued through a legal government authority, not an internet search.

Has anyone on this thread suggested otherwise? On the contrary, I and other posters have emphasized time and again that the CRC must be issued by a government authority.

Incidentally, some US states maintain websites that allow people to obtain a criminal record check from that state online, and such CRCs have been accepted by Immigration. So a blanket statement that CRCs obtained via the Internet are invalid is false.

An index-based search is one conducted using demographic data (name, date of birth, address, social security number, etc.). CRCs based on an index search obtained from a government authority are perfectly acceptable. For the umpteenth time, Korean Immigration does not require a fingerprint-based CRC.

Quote:
... I know of no US government agency which will issue a CRC w/o fingerprints. there might be some boondocks local police station that will, but many of us don't come from the boondocks.

You're right�no US government (i.e., federal) agency issues a CRC without fingerprints.

HOWEVER, many�if not most�US states do not require fingerprints to issue a CRC. They perform index-based searches using your identifying information. It's considerably more prevalent than your dismissive "some boondocks local police station" remark would indicate.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into this, as well, in case i can't lock something down here in Brunei on this goaround.

Harris County, USA, provides a number of different choices for CRC - telephone based, fax, mail. All of them are under $10, and they will send them here. All they needed was a full name & DOB; SSN was optional, but not required.

Harris County is one of the biggest in the USA, population-wise (most of it is a city better known as Houston).

Not all will do this, I'm sure, but it may help some.

On a related note, I looked into Texas DPS, and they have an online one available, payable with a credit card. Unfortunately, the site only accepts USA-based credit cards >.<

Regards,

Glen
Hopeful

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Fingerprinting Reply with quote

Hi. One can be fingerprinted in Korea, and forward that information to the RCMP, according to the RCMP website. However, they do note it takes many months to complete the check. The local police (Seocho) did serveral sets of fingerprinting of teachers at our school.
huck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've renewed your E-2 visa here with the same place, and have already done the CBC and the medical check...

Then to switch jobs, do we even need to leave the country anymore? If our current place of work cancels our work visa and we find a job within the grace period, we don't need a CBC again..

Do we need to do the interview at the Korean consulate, or is that only for first-time instructors who have never been here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: