Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

~New and hopefully coming to Korea~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCgirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: ~New and hopefully coming to Korea~ Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a month or so. Very interesting things have been brought to my attention. I have had difficulty in finding any good sites that suggest the most important things to bring to Korea. Can anyone help me with that?

My husband is the one that has the degree. So he will be getting the job teaching English. I know it is illegal to teach privates or to work for me. Since I do not yet have my degree. Though I wondered if it is strict there? And if it is likely to get caught, if I did?

Yet another question. Can anyone suggest relieable recruiters? Is there such a thing? We have studied the blacklists etc. So we know the ones definately to stay away from. We hope to go in the next few months and being new to this experience we are trying to do it the best way possible. Any hints or ideas, please?

Thank you all for any info. Laughing

BCgirl
The Den

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey in response to your question on privates. Most people who go over there do privates at one time or another. It is fairly common but, and this is a pretty big BUT. If you get caught you will be deported and fined. It is a big deal. Those stories of immigration crashing your lesson and hustling you off to immigration are based on truth. I did privates when I was there. It was fairly lucrative however I had no leisure time and it consumed me. I had no time to appreciate Korea. If I were you I would take advantage of your husband's degree, stay at home and go exploring during the day. Take Korean lessons, make Korean friends. That is exactly what I am going to do on my next trip.
paulzerzan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring pillows. Korean pillows are large and hard and round (like using a log for a pillow)

Bring books and mail books. Ship them book rate. They may take a few weeks, maybe 2 months at the most. Maybe order books over Amazon.com when you get to Korea (but its nice to hand pick and examine books in a bookstore before you purchase them).

Don't ever blow your nose in a Korean restaurant (go outside!).
Never offer second-hand stuff to Koreans. Its considered insulting.

Start eating at a korean restaurant (if there is one near you) to get an idea of what you like and don't like and if you don't know how to use chopsticks very well, buy some and use them at home. In Korea you will be picking up difficult things (like boiled quails eggs) with chopsticks
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bed sheets! The standard bed linen here is a little unusual and if you like "normal" sheets like flat or fitted, bring those. And tampons & deodorant... a little hard to come by outside Seoul. And big towels. Korean use something to dry themselves that is what I'd use to dry dishes. Hope this helps.
BCgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thank you everyone for the info. Hoping to get more if possible! We are very excited to head over to Korea and just hope to do it right. Wink
half_pint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about any reliable recruiters, but I do know that it isn't necessary to go through one. Your boyfriend can look for job postings that ask you to contact the school directly. I heard so many bad recruiter stories so I did it this way, and everything worked out pretty well. Also, make sure he talks to other foreign teachers at any school he is considering working for before actually taking a job.

Things I really wish I brought from home:
- Toothpaste for sensitive teeth...for some reason my teeth have been so sensitive since I have been here, and I never had this problem before. You can buy toothpaste here, but I don't think it is flouride toothpaste, and they have some strange flavours...most people prefer toothpaste from home.
- I really wish I had thought to make a couple of tapes full of Simpsons episodes and bring them along (of course, this will only apply if you like the Simpsons...) My sisters are working on this for me right now but they are taking forever!
- If your bra size is anything above a B cup bring lots of bras!
- Bring pictures of anything from home that might not seem too exciting to you because you see it every day, but would be interesting to students. I tell my students about how deep the snow gets at home and they ask me if I have pictures -I tell them about skydiving and they ask me if I have pictures - I have some great pictures but they don't do me much good sitting in a box at my parents' house.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I will add more if anything else comes to mind!

Good luck!
Cabbit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of things I often get my Mum to send me, may be of help....

Deodorant- they do sell it here but it is rare and expensive
Bra's- Like the last poster said, if you are bigger than a B bring many. I have been here two years and my mum has sent 2 shipments...lol.
packet mixes- for those days when you feel like a non korean food fix. We often get~ guacamole mix, satay mix, curry mix (pataks etc...), tandori mix, tuna mornay mix etc....
Medicine- Korean cold and Flu medicine is pretty weak. I normally get my mum to send pain killers too as Koreans do not sell pills with Codine in them without a perscription.
Magazines!!!- they sell english magazines in Seoul but they are outrageously priced.
Books- nuff said
Gifts for your Boss, his family and new friends you meet- I still have a few kangaroo pins and toys in the cupboard that I am keeping to give new friends!!

Quote:
Bring pillows. Korean pillows are large and hard and round (like using a log for a pillow)

Dont stress too much, you can find soft lovely pillows!!
And some people say towels, but dont worry...you can get MASSIVE towels in big towel shops. (I know an awesome one in Suwon Nammun markets)

Feel free to e-mail me if you want advice
[email protected]
been here 2 years and leaving in August

take care
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulzerzan wrote:

I don't know where you buy your pillows but mine are exactly the same as I had in Canada. I think the ones you are referring to are actually cushions to lean against when reclining on the floor. I've never heard of anyone using them as a sleeping pillow. Razz
K-in-C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: BCgirl headed for Korea... Reply with quote

Greetings...

When I was over in Korea I had a hard time finding shoe laces so I would suggest you bring a few with you.

Where does one buy shoe laces in Seoul anyway?

Good luck!

Kate in Canada

If you have any more questions feel free to email me @ [email protected]

Peace
mokpochica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: what to bring--my suggestions Reply with quote

Some teaching materials...especially to get you started out.

Some good books (by Penny Ur) are:
'Discussions that Work', 'Five Minute Activities', 'Grammar Practice Activities'.

-board games like Scrabble, Clue, anything else that practices English speaking or spelling. (Check out this link: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=582&highlight=

- a magazine or two for pictures of ads, etc.

-some small prizes for students. Some ideas: small denomination coins from your country, little comic books, fake money, postcards, stickers with English writing on them...lots and lots of stickers!

-a few posters to decorate your classroom. Other decorations (like borders and letter cut-outs, holiday stuff) could also be helpful, but you could always make your own here too.

-Some workbooks to pratice grammar, cursive writing, spelling, etc. that you can buy for kids in English speaking countries--ones that look kind of fun. These can be used as prizes or as extra workshets for kids who finish stuff early in class.

-videotape of commercials from home

-food to make in class like macaroni and cheese or jello.

Some gifts for people at the school you work at or for friends:

-calendars with nice pictures of home

-alcohol (if they drink---many people who are Christian do not drink much or at all).

-fancy honey (very expensive here)

-box of nice chocolates.

Other (for teaching or just for you)
-pictures of your family and friends (good for class use, etc.)

-some good books and magazines to read

-small supply of toiletries to start you off while you get acclimated.

- some of your favorite music to listen to.

And PS--You can find sensodyne toothpaste for sensitive teeth at the larger pharmacies here.

You'll find that you can get many of the same things here that you find at home, or at least some kind of substitute. Some things might require a trip to Seoul or you might have to order some things through the mail (or have them sent from a friend at home). Just try to bring the stuff that you think is the most important to use the luggage space at first and you'll figure out the rest as you go along.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to your situation in particular, I actually know a girl who is in a very similar position. Her boyfriend has a degree but she came here to be with him before she finished hers. He has a rare director who has really taken her under his wing, and provided her with some work - not in the hagwon, but he hooked her up with a gig transcribing movies for translation, and even offered a couple of privates. I would imagine that this case is pretty far from the norm, but you can probably meet people who can hook you up with something. Just beware, as previous posters have said, that this would probably be technically illegal so be aware of the risks.

I'll also agree with another of the previous posts and recommend using your time to study Korean etc. Good luck!
atina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BC girl,

first of all: relieable recruiters = oxymoron
you will do better on your own and even better if you have a friend here who can recommend you to a school

since you are female you will have no problem finding work, with or without a degree but be careful because they seem to do sweeps and a lot of people get sent home- have seen it happen.

But-- are you sure you really wanna come here?? This place is a disaster area for couples- hope your marriage is strong and your man is decent... he won't have many role models here.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for finding a job, I think you should ask someone on this forum if his or her company is hiring. I work for a big company which I really like and it is always hiring. It is not necessary to go through a recruiter when you can go through us.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: