Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nelson606

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Korean Internet Reply with quote

I'm getting a bit frustrated with the internet service here in Seoul. I had ADSL internet with KT for a month but it seemed to lag and was generally fairly slow. I changed to Cable Internet with Hana (sp?) and also changed to their cable TV package which has CNN. My previous cable company had BBC World which I don't like as much. The cable internet was fine for a couple of weeks but it has been terrible for the past few days. Some sites load reasonably fast, others very slowly, some not all. Has anybody else experienced some of the same frustrations? I'm paying 45000Won for cable TV + internet. Does anyone know of any other alternatives that are preferable? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Most of the sites that I'm interested in are North American.
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably trash on your computer.

Try this:http://spybot.info/index.php?lang=en&page=news

You will have to use your wits about downloading this. It is from Germany, you might have to hit mirror sites. If it doesn't down load clearly just reboot hit the same site and you will discover more sites mostly Universities in Europe, hackers etc. It is a magnificent program.

Be sure to do the tutorial, not much in that!

If you can get it downloaded it is great!

Wait till you see your entire drive flashing before your eyes, all those hidden applications, in fact almighty Dave for all his rectitude has a couple lingering on this site.

If you select the option it will come up next time you reboot your computer, scan through the day before's trash.

No more pop up ads, no more mysterious crashes, no more odd ball what am I doing in Sex-with-dogs .com or my favorite (I live on the DMZ) on-line gambling!

I can't remember which version I down loaded. The University of Dortland's is O.K if you speak German, I had to keep going back and replacing previous down loads. I think mine is from IOSONICS. I think from the Emerald Isle.

Hit http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite and it will pretty much tell you what your problem is. Nice code semi-burried in that site as well.

We need more straight forward Q and A's like this.

planetmirror.com
majorgeks.com
lavasoftusa.com

Are all good good sites. I know some of the links are hacker related but who is going to be ethno-centric in terms of a much freer internet in Europe.

The thing is to speed up your computer by learning about it.

At any rate spybot is great. Just persevere. It has somehing of a cult following. It really is cool!

If anybody is interested I have further sites/progams related to downloading programs from say Kazaalite. etc.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Naeil. Have their cable TV and cable internet package (34,000won a month). Can be painfully slow on occassions, but is usually reliable and very fast. Pest Patrol is a good program to use to keep the nasties out of your machine. Use it in conjunction with Norton Internet Security, and if you can get hold of it Norton Systemworks (rumoured to be available on Kazaa).
Keep your machine clutter free and defragment regularly.

Still crazy, still here.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also try ad-aware... its free and you can find it on http://downloads.com
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time it's slow, clear your cache and then try going to a site that you know is hosted in Korea, then a site you know is hosted in Europe, then a site you know is hosted in N.A. and compare how fast they load. I think all of the above are causes, but I suspect that it might also be huge amounts of traffic at peak periods and not neccessarily any shortcoming of your isp. You can also check your computer's hard drive health and internet settings (among other things) here-
http://www.pcpitstop.com/
Nelson606

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I backdated the system by a week (WinME), ran Spybot, and everything was lightning fast. (Sunday afternoon and evening) The only program I had installed during the week was the latest Windows Media Player. This afternoon (Monday) everything is back to a crawl. I think you are right Bulsajo, Korean sites load much more quickly. However some North American sites load very quickly, while others are very slow. I had no problems with hotmail the first 6 weeks I was here, but the last 2 weeks I'm lucky if it loads at all. Still, yesterday it loaded extremely quickly. I will try some of the other posted suggestions. Thanks for all of the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: