Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Benzodiazepines - Medical drug test
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradlee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Benzodiazepines - Medical drug test Reply with quote

Can anyone that has been on any benzodiazepine medication (for any reason) let me know if they test for Benzo's on the medical drug test that's required!

I will be extremely upset if I fail the drug test for the medicine that I have been prescribed. I'm currently on clonazepam, and I know that it will show up in a urine analysis test if they test for benzo's.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge that can share it?

If you passed a drug test in the Seoul area and were on benzo's at the time, could you please post where you got your medical testing done??!

I'm paranoid because I just got to Korea, and I get the feeling the K authorities might not understand that I need this medication for my physical symptoms. I could get my doctor to send a note if needed, but I'd rather just not deal with it for obvious reasons.

The drug stays in your system for quite awhile, and I have to use it often enough that I cannot purge it from my system in the time allowed.
Thanks for any feedback Exclamation
bizrandom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Benzodiazepines - Medical drug test Reply with quote

bradlee wrote:
Can anyone that has been on any benzodiazepine medication (for any reason) let me know if they test for Benzo's on the medical drug test that's required!

I will be extremely upset if I fail the drug test for the medicine that I have been prescribed. I'm currently on clonazepam, and I know that it will show up in a urine analysis test if they test for benzo's.

If you passed a drug test in the Seoul area and were on benzo's at the time, could you please post where you got your medical testing done??!

I'm paranoid because I just got to Korea, and I get the feeling the K authorities might not understand that I need this medication for my physical symptoms. I could get my doctor to send a note if needed, but I'd rather just not deal with it for obvious reasons.

The drug stays in your system for quite awhile, and I have to use it often enough that I cannot purge it from my system in the time allowed.

If you have a prescription.... Usually a drug test requires paperwork where you state what you take prescription wise.
ds_fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know about benzos, wouldnt surprize me if the test was only a standard one you would get anywhere else, that being one which tests for codine- breakdown product of charlie and other stimulants. costs too much money after all
bradlee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Benzodiazepines - Medical drug test Reply with quote

bizrandom wrote:
bradlee wrote:

If you have a prescription.... Usually a drug test requires paperwork where you state what you take prescription wise.

Yep, I've got a prescription. If they don't test for benzo's though, I don't think I want them to know. Not that I'm embarassed in the least to be taking mine. I can get some sleep some nights thanks to my prescription. Don't take it during the day. I guess I can claim ignorance if something does show up on the test and produce the prescription at that time. Benzo's include many different drugs (xanax, ativan, valium) which I know many people are prescribed.

Since I have a prescription from my doctor with me, would it be best to just list it before my drug test? I just have no idea if testing positive for benzo's (even with a doctor's prescription) would be seen as failing the drug test. Again, anyone with any direct or indirect experience that can relate their experience (or one of someone they know) would be appreciated.
DrOctagon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the drug screen tests for opiates, and I think the drugs that make benzo's are opiates. So, I'm guessing you might fail? I'm not sure though... Don't have any experience with taking a drug test while taking benzo's. I heard those are very addicting...
julesk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take xanax for sleep, and I also take a medication which raises the levels in my liver. I was just going to bring a letter from my doctor and copies of the prescriptions, but now I'm paranoid that it wont be enough...
mmarshalynne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: The Drug Test is a Test for Narcotics Reply with quote

The drug test is specifically for narcotic drugs. Clonazepam is a narcotic drug and a commonly abused one; thus, you should expect that the test will discover any use of Clonazepam. However, Clonazepam only stays in your system for approximately 7 days. Refrain from use for 10 days and you will be absolutely clean. The medical affidavit you submitted to get your visa specifically inquired as to whether or not you took narcotic drugs. If you swore that you do not take narcotics, and now provide your prescription to explain why you will test positive, you may raise issues about your truthfulness in the medical affidavit.

Clonazepam is prescribed to treat:

seizure disorders (petit mal, atypical, akinetic, myoclonic, or absence)
mild to moderate anxiety (short-term therapy only)
Tourette's Syndrome
panic disorder
drug-induced mania
resistant depression
nocturnal myoclonus
relieve trigeminal neuralgia (nerve pain)
bipolar disorder

Thus, providing them your prescription may also raise questions about your mental health.

Perhaps, you could obtain a prescription for a non-narcotic drug to tide you over until you have abstained long enough to test clean for your medical exam.
julesk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get the information that it only stays in your system for 7 days? I'm curious.
garykasparov

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

Do you take clonazepam to prevent seizures?
mmarshalynne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: How long does clonazepam stay in your system? Reply with quote

I answered the question based on my experience. Years ago, I drafted briefs appealing the results of positive drug tests. To do this, I consulted with medical experts and read a great deal of literature. After a positive drug test in the United States, many times an individual is given a second opportunity to test clean. Thus, I have presented evidence and arguments that a second test in a period of less than ten days did not give the individual such an opportunity.

After your post, I looked for an authority on the web and found this:

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?Id=8088

Even if the use of clonazepam is for the treatment of seizures, there are non-narcotic drugs that are also used for that purpose. My opinion would be that the safe choice would be to consult with a doctor on whether there is a non-narcotic drug that might work for the OP.
nomad-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about tetracycline or monocycline?
Jubalum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

Based on my personal experience, benzodiazepines are commonly prescribed in Korea. Last year I visited a doctor and mentioned that I was having a difficult time sleeping due to some discomfort from a tooth extraction. The doctor wrote me a prescription for Xanax. The pharmacist gave me a bottle of 100 pills (.5 mg). When I returned to the same doctor about two months later (ear infection) she asked me if I needed a refill!

Also, for whatever it's worth, benzos are not technically narcotics. Chemically, only opiate-derived drugs are classified as true narcotics. (http://www.answers.com/topic/narcotic-drugs?cat=health)
mmarshalynne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Drug test Reply with quote

On Friday June 13, 2008, in reply to another post, UT Videam wrote, "TBPE = tetrabromophenolphetamine ethyl ester, an indicator used to test for drugs. " I believe that he is correct.

To perform the TBPE test, strips are dipped into urine. The strip then turns colors depending on the drug residual or metabolites found in the urine. A chart is available and you simply match the color that the strip turns with a color on the color chart. The match indicates usually a category of drugs and not a specific drug. This is a screening test, and shows only probable drug use.

I have included a list of drugs that are included in the test. I am sure this list is not exhaustive. The list identifies exactly what is tested for in the urine. Often, the presence of a metabolite and not the drug itself is the proof of drug use.

Marquis Reagent Formaldehyde in Opiates, amphetamines, H2 SO4 diazepam, phenothiazines, propoxphenes Mecke Reagent Selenious acid in Opiates, mescaline, H2 SO4 amphetamines Froehde Reagent Molybdic acid in Opiates, mescaline, H2 SO4 amphetamines Iodoplatinate Platinic chloride Opiates, PCP, cocaine, Reagent and potassium iodide amphetamines, propoxphenes, benzodiazepines Mandelin Reagent Ammonium vandate Opiates, amphetamines, in H2 SO4 mescaline, phenothiazines.

There are also a number of over-the-counter drugs that are obviously not narcotic but may yield a false positive. Thus, if you know that you have not used a drug, insist that a Gas Chromatic Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS) test be performed. This test is expensive compared to the TBPE ($3 - $15 test that you can buy and do yourself at home). The GC-MS is a two edged sword. It will either exhonorate you, or prove that you were using a certain drug. It is considered the gold standard. I would guess that the GC-MS test, which can only be performed by a laboratory, would cost about $100.
sojourner1

Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubalum wrote:
OP,

Based on my personal experience, benzodiazepines are commonly prescribed in Korea. Last year I visited a doctor and mentioned that I was having a difficult time sleeping due to some discomfort from a tooth extraction. The doctor wrote me a prescription for Xanax. The pharmacist gave me a bottle of 100 pills (.5 mg). When I returned to the same doctor about two months later (ear infection) she asked me if I needed a refill!

Also, for whatever it's worth, benzos are not technically narcotics. Chemically, only opiate-derived drugs are classified as true narcotics. (http://www.answers.com/topic/narcotic-drugs?cat=health)

Wow, you're very lucky. That's a way to have many nice peaceful evenings alone. Personally, I think the opiate/narcotic pills such as percocets are the best, but only can get them when you have surgery. Sick Americans on Medicaid get lots of xanax, percocets, and others to comfort terminal illness.

Last year, I went to a Korean doctor for a sleep aid and got 3 pills of something that put my out in 10 minutes flat as they usually only prescribe 3 days at a time due to some drug law 5 years ago when Korea was abusing prescription drugs. The doctors used to directly dispense medicine and people were getting all the dope pills they wanted. Those shots I got in the buttocks each time I went to the doctor were narcotic. It helps you work sick. Shocked

I heard a foreign teacher recently flunked her drug test due to taking an allergy medicine. Yes, an allergy medicine, but they let her take the test again and she passed.
timetotravel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if they test for Venlafaxine?

anti anxiety pill......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: