Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

immigration at the airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: immigration at the airport Reply with quote

If I have a one-way ticket home and no letter of release am I going to be stopped at immigration and will they phone my director to ask if they know about my leaving? Is it wiser to spend the $ and get a return ticket outta here? Will I be allowed to come back and work for a different school after my E2 expires? How will I know if I have been blacklisted or a complaint has been filed? Thank you.
itchy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the airport, they will ask you "are you coming back?" You will say "No". They will take your alien registration card, cancel it, and keep it. You will then leave. If you are doing a midnight runner, you cannot return for a year at least. Go to Tawain or Japan and teach there for a while. Asia is big. Go to China, go to Indonesia, go to Thailand. Do not worry. Korea is only a small place.
masty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pulling a midnight run. My visa has been stamped into my passport but I have no alien card. If I say I am not coming back and I have 8 months left on my visa, won't they know I am pulling a runner and take steps to make this difficult?
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

You are not important and most of the time provided your boss does not lodge a complaint you can come back straight away. The other way is to give two months notice through immigration. This means that you go to them first and give notice and then give notice at where you work. This way you don't need a letter of release. Make sure you pay all your bills and keep the recepts. It is no big deal what you are doing, immigation is used to it. Just be polite and make sure to hand in your alian card.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masty wrote:
I am pulling a midnight run. My visa has been stamped into my passport but I have no alien card. If I say I am not coming back and I have 8 months left on my visa, won't they know I am pulling a runner and take steps to make this difficult?

you may have a problem considering that you have been in the country for over 3 months and by Korean law you are required to get an alien card. Whenever you leave the country with an E2 visa immigration always asks for you to turn in your card.
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Half asleep, if you haven't got a Alian card yet then you are not locked in to working for your present employer but you will be up for a fine. If you pay the fine and exit then you should be allowed back in provided things don't get messy.
masty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an alien card because I just did my visa run in January. I worked illegally for almost three months so I'm sure immigration is a problem, for me and my employer. I tried to give notice but my director is being unreasonable. I am still locked into a visa even though I haven't gotten an alien card right?
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Um Reply with quote

Anda wrote:
Half asleep, if you haven't got a Alian card yet then you are not locked in to working for your present employer .

Incorrect.

An alien card has nothing to do with employment and is strictly residency. Even us sexy Canadians running around on 6-month tourist visas doing touristy things have to register for an alien card within 90 days and notify Immigration where we are residing.

The work visa ties you into an employer.
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Here is the home page to a legal group that you can Email with a question. Give them proper details like do you actually have an E2 stamped in your passport and how many weeks have you had it. As far as I know it you have 90 days in which to take up the E2 once it gets stamped into your passport. Now I'm not sure what constutites taking up on your work visa. It is either entry into Korea or applying for your alian card. Captain could be quiet right but I have always understood that it was connected to getting the alian card.

http://efl-law.com/index.htm
masty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let this fine board know, I am now remaining in Korea . My director offered me more money and that, in combination with the sunshine, has helped me get over the "5 months in a Korean hagwon" blues. Great news because a midnight run isn't the way I wanted to end this excerpt of my life. Thanks for the help anyway.
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fool yourself hehehe
shawner88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will certainly nail you for not having the immigration card and you will have to pay at least 100,000 won or more. I know this because I lost mine and had to pay that much when I left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: