Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bring a gift for your boss or potential Korean friends.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuzza

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: whiskey? Reply with quote

In my experience, whiskey doesn't go down all that well. I brought it twice, but it was only the second time (when I gave it as a Chuseok gift) when it was drunk in front of me and the whole gathering made no bones about how much they disliked it.

on the other hand, they did acknowledge that it was a very expensive gift and they liked that.

also many koreans don't have a sweet tooth so chocolate can be hit-and-miss.

it's hard to say what they will like, when you haven't met them yet, but whoever wrote that about the flash label was dead right. the gaudier the better in fact. Anything that looks expensive will at least be received graciously, and I think all Koreans appreciate the thought.

Some other suggestions; cheese, herbs and sauces can be difficult to come by here and have worked well for me.......for the students stickers and coins....
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bring a gift!!!! Sad
Call me scrooge but since when do you give gifts to your boss in the West?
Only bum lickers and ineffective teachers have to bribe their way into a hogwan, they'll think your a brown nose anyhow.
My advice would be to get a gift here, if their good bosses, let's face most are unscrupulous and one step down from leeches, save your money! Cool
AliNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Gifts Reply with quote

How are a video of your country...
here we have them in the bookshop for around $10-$15 (don't wait till you get the airport - they're more expensive)

Some posters for the classroom are good....

A book of your country...

A bottle of good wine if your country does

Some speciality tourist type thing (go to the tourist shops and think like a tourist for a few awhile)

Some good childrens books - easy reading across a range of ages

I took all the kids a pencil with a NZ theme (from the $2 shop- a 25 for $2)...

heaps of idea...

A world map, a globe, an atlas

A jar on honey (Honey is expensive in Korea - a real treat!) - nicely wrapped is always appreciated

I am going next week so this is a timely reminder for me!!!

I'm off shopping tonight!
AliNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wrong stalin...

gift giving is a way of saying you apprciate the culture of their country and customs too...

you have much to learn
Woland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from visiting family in Western Kentucky and brought handmade bourbon candy for the women who work in the office from an oldtime confectioners in Owensboro that my sister discovered.

I think this combining of booze and chocolate should go over well.

Just in case anyone of them is a non-drinker (thought I think I've seen them all drink sometime), I also got a pound of dark chocolate and white chocolate almond candies from the same place.
IrishJen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love all the suggestions for taking stickers of your country's flag, and books of the country, and this, that and the other thing. That's great when you come from countries like Australia, NZ, US, Canada, mainland Britain or Ireland where the flags define who you are, and there's a good sense of patriotism.

I come from Northern Ireland. I don't consider myself particularly British or particularly Irish. The very concept of NI is difficult to explain to English-speaking outsiders, never mind anyone else! It's not easy to get NI paraphernalia that isn't highly politicised.

Anyone on here from NI, who might have found a way around this?
boatofcar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think a bottle of scotch is a bad idea? What kind of liquor is best to bring?
Dukey77777

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a large pin collection from my travels around the US....not something worth keeping but I think it would be great to bring as little gifts in Korea. Any thoughts on this?
AliNZ

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: gifts Reply with quote

I usually bring a book or video of my country for my boss
pictorial clanedars are good too - easy to pack not heavy and always appreciated

but yes, giving a gift is the thing to do...

I always brings brings and things to use in the classroom and then leave them when I go. It's always appareciated.

If your director has children - it's nice to bring them something too. Somthing easy - book or game.

It's very Korean to give gifts when visitng someones home too and you will find that your students will give you little gifts too. It's nice to be able to recipricate with something noone else will have. I got little calendars for kids - they were appreciated.
princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: whiskey? Reply with quote

wuzza wrote:
In my experience, whiskey doesn't go down all that well. I brought it twice, but it was only the second time (when I gave it as a Chuseok gift) when it was drunk in front of me and the whole gathering made no bones about how much they disliked it.

on the other hand, they did acknowledge that it was a very expensive gift and they liked that.

also many koreans don't have a sweet tooth so chocolate can be hit-and-miss.

it's hard to say what they will like, when you haven't met them yet, but whoever wrote that about the flash label was dead right. the gaudier the better in fact. Anything that looks expensive will at least be received graciously, and I think all Koreans appreciate the thought.

Some other suggestions; cheese, herbs and sauces can be difficult to come by here and have worked well for me.......for the students stickers and coins....
Many Koreans don't have a sweet tooth? Are you kidding me? I know quite a few who like or love chocolate, and look at all the ice cream shops here...on every corner...Plus, so many of their breads are sweet. Even the garlic bread at work is sweet! Laughing
Illysook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been hoarding my Starbucks coffee mark-offs and I am thinking of bringing Buckeyes, both the candies and the "worthless nuts." Still, I am a little confused. Who am I supposed to give these gifts too? How big should my stash of such gifts be? And do you think that anyone would appreciate my gently used Starbucks Barista t-shirts...not the trashed out ones, the new one's that I wore once and threw in a drawer because I didn't feel like being a walking advertisement.
EzeWong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bringing boxes of Godovia Choclate

I'm hoping they aren't incredibly popular in Korea... And if are, at least they will realize how expensive it is...

Crosses Fingers
allarise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who have brought over liquids, such as wine, bourbon, maple syrup, honey, etc...

Did you check these items when you brought them over? Is that legal? What about the small bottle laws they've enacted here in the States?
milspecs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allarise wrote:
To those who have brought over liquids, such as wine, bourbon, maple syrup, honey, etc...

Did you check these items when you brought them over? Is that legal? What about the small bottle laws they've enacted here in the States?

pretty sure you can bring as many liquid items with you but they have to go in your checked luggage. this is the norm with most airlines ibelieve.
allarise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milspecs wrote:

pretty sure you can bring as many liquid items with you but they have to go in your checked luggage. this is the norm with most airlines ibelieve.

that's what I figured. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: