Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U N I V E R S I T Y Korean Language Programs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimSuBok

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: U N I V E R S I T Y Korean Language Programs Reply with quote

I'm looking for a Korean Language Program to fill the gap between the time I finish my contract and start graduate school. Does anyone know of a complete list of Universities offering Korean Language Programs? If so where can I find it? I only want to know about schools that will allow me to apply for a Student Visa.

Failing that, can anybody recommend a good university at which I can study Korean for about 4 months from September to December? I'm interested not only in a good academic program, but in the environment of the University. I don't want to be stuck with unfriendly people who only pretend to help me learn Korean, but actually just want to practice their English. Based on your direct experience, can anyone suggest a good place for me to invest my time and money?

Help me. I welcome any and all advice!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find the following threads really useful. I'd say that the general consensus on this board is that the Sogang University program (next course starts October 8th, I think) is the best for conversation whereas Yonsei is good for learning the language from a structural approach.

Lots of universites offer Korean Language Programs. You can look at the Fulbright for a really good list of contacts for universities that offer Korean.

1. To Study Korean - where's the best?
2. Sogang Korean Course for Waygookin
3. Chosun University Korean Class
4. Korean Language Classes?
5. Does Jeju National Uni have Korean Classes for Foreigners?
6. Learning the Korean Language
7. Korean Language Resources

Edit - All of these University courses seem to run for 10 weeks and are offered 4 times per year.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about any complete list of schools offering Korean language classes but I can name a few of them.

Seoul National University
Yonsei University
Sogang University

These are the three I've heard the most about in regards to Korean Language programs. SNU and Yonsei are two of Korea's leading Universities if it means anything to you. I believe there are programs at Ehwha Women's Uni as well.....but I'm not sure.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Language Academies (학원)

Ganada Language Institute
568-51 Yeonnam-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, 121-866
Tel: (02) 332-6003
Fax: (02) 332-6004
- 8 week semester (but can register for only 4 weeks)
- January 4-29, 2003 (register 12/19)
- January 31-February 28 (rgister 1/23)
- 4 days/week (M,T,Th,F), 10-12:50am
- W274,000/4weeks; W548,000/8 weeks

Language Teaching Research Center (LTRC)
Language Teaching Research Center (LTRC)
60-17 Taepyongro 1-ga, Chung-gu, Seoul 100-101
Tel: (02) 737-4641
Fax: (02) 734-6036
Email: [email protected]
- 8 weeks, January 4-February 28

Seoul Korean Language Academy
Seoul Korean Language Academy
4F Jichoun Building, 818-1 Yoksam-dong, Kangnam-gu, Seoul 135-080
Tel: (02) 563-3226
Fax: (02) 563-3227
Classes begin the first business day of every month.
Weekday classes: 5 days/week, 2 hours/day (at 10am, 2pm), W270,000/month
Evening classes: 3 days/week (MWF), 7-9pm, W200,000/month
Saturday only classes: 10-1pm or 2-5 pm, W100,000/month
Individual: W30,000/hour; 2 students: W21,000/hour; 3 students: W17,000/hour

University Programs
ETAS generally won't have enough time during the winter break activity to enroll in one of the university programs, which typically run from 8-10 weeks.

Yonsei University
Korean Language Institute
Institute of Language Research and Education
134 Shinchon-dong, Sodaemun-gu, Seoul 120-749
Tel: (02) 2123-3464
Fax: (02) 393-4599

Ewha Woman's University
Institute of Language Education
11-1 Daehyun-dong, Sodaemun-gu, Seoul 120-750
Tel: (02) 3277-3183
Fax: (02) 3277-2855

Seoul National University
Language Education Institute
Survival Korean Evening Class
San 56-1 Shinrim-dong, Kwanak-gu, Seoul 151-742
Tel: (02) 880-8570 / 5488

Sogang University
Center for Korean Studies
1, Shinsu-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul 121-742
Tel: (02) 705-8088
Fax: (02) 701-6692

Korea University
Institute of Foreign Language Studies
Korean Language & Culture Center
5-1 Anam-Dong, Sungbuk-Ku, Seoul 136-701 Korea
Tel: (02)-3290-1455,(82)-(2)-927-3690
Fax: (02)-921-0534

Konkuk University
Foreign Language Institute
1 Hwayang-dong Kwanjin-gu, Seoul Korea 143-701
Tel: (02) 450-3075/6
Fax: (02) 455-6709

Kyung Hee University, Seoul Campus
Institute of International Exchanges
1 Hoeki-dong, Dongdaemoon-ku, Seoul 130-70
Tel: (02) 961-0081~2
Fax: (02) 959-9018
E-Mail: [email protected]

Kyung Hee University, Suwon Campus
Institute of Continuing Education
1 Seochun-ni, Kiheung-Eup Yongin City, Kyunggi-Do
Tel: (331) 201-2277
Fax: (331) 205-7142
E-Mail: [email protected]
Website: http://www.kyunghee.edu/4foreigners/4foreigners.htm
pucheon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yonsei Universities Korean Language Institute has a session starting in early October, ending in December. It's the oldest and most established curriculum and I hear it's the model in which newer Korean Language schools are following. Plus you get access to the libraries, 2 gyms, workout facilities and pool!

I'm starting a course there in October so PM me if you have any questions. The cost this session is 1,290,000 won. 5 days a week 4 hours a day taught entirely in Korean. Kinda like a reverse "English only in the classroom" rule.

Hope that helps!
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pucheon wrote:
Yonsei Universities Korean Language Institute has a session

In my opinion, it's shiite.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
pucheon wrote:

Could you elaborate? I'm seriously considering going to Yonsei or Sogang for a semester or 2 after my current contract. I have one friend that goes to each, and swears by their program as the best possible way to learn Korean.

Thanks!
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
the_beaver wrote:
pucheon wrote:

Could you elaborate? I'm seriously considering going to Yonsei or Sogang for a semester or 2 after my current contract. I have one friend that goes to each, and swears by their program as the best possible way to learn Korean.

Thanks!

Sure. I've probably said something about it before, but I'm always happy to hit this topic again.

Yonsei has two programs, A and B and I went level 5 in the A program (started but didn't finish level 5). The A program has 6 levels, all of which are as dull as dishwater. The A program is a combination of audiolingual and grammar translation, which means there's a whole lot of 'listen and repeat,' and Yonsei maintains that this is an effective method despite the piles of research which show it to be incredibly ineffective. In a typical class the teacher will ask one student a question, the student responds with the target grammar, the teacher asks the next student, etc. It's a snooze fest. Teacher centered classes with minimal practice time per student.

Yonsei's B program I don't know firsthand, but it's an 8-level program that's was most likely a reaction to Sogang's increasing popularity. From what I understand, the B program attempts to do what Sogang does so well.

I attended levels 4 and 5 in Sogang's language program (and kicked myself for not going there instead of Yonsei from the get go). Sogang is not perfect (what program is?) but it was 95% great. Sogang is learner centered, so student practice time is maximized. Mostly they take a communicative language teaching approach, so students are given something to say, the tools to say it, and the opportunity to say it (the desire to say it is, of course, dependent on the individual student).

At Sogang I had one mediocre teacher, and at Yonsei I had several (but I attended Yonsei for a much longer time, so that would be expected). Overall, teacher quality in both programs is excellent.

Having said the above, what is your own personal learning style? Most language learners don't ask themselves this simple question. A few people (an enormous minority) can learn with the audiolingual/grammar translation approach, and if you are one of them then Yonsei might be good for you. Nearly all students can learn effectively from the CLT approach so Sogang is more effective to more learners.

Don't believe the people who say "Sogang students have worse grammar than their Yonsei counterparts." It's poppycock. Studies show that students who study a full class of grammar perform worse on accuracy than students who spend 10% of a class on grammar and 90% of the time practicing.

Sorry. I could go on forever about this. . .

Have fun studying.
kaselel12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Yonsei versus Ewha versus Korea? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a graduating senior at college, and I'm trying to figure out a good Korean language program for the summer.

In terms of dates, I'm looking at Ewha, Korea, and Yonsei. Sogang is NOT an option. Out of those three, which has the strongest program? I am intermediate advanced, my mother is Korean...

Thanks so much in advance!
peppergirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: U N I V E R S I T Y Korean Language Programs Reply with quote

KimSuBok wrote:

I'm interested not only in a good academic program, but in the environment of the University. I don't want to be stuck with unfriendly people who only pretend to help me learn Korean, but actually just want to practice their English. Based on your direct experience, can anyone suggest a good place for me to invest my time and money?

I attended the Korean language program at SNU, good experience. The environment was really stimulating, several fellow students changed their plans and stayed an extra semester. I think they start the fall semester in September, but you'd probably need to apply 1 month or so ahead.
Css

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
the_beaver wrote:
pucheon wrote:

Thanks!

Listen to the_beaver..

Im currently at yonsei but ill be transferring to sogang soon...
miyoko004

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone studied at/know about Soonchunhyang in Asan-shi, and their korean program?
They have this great scholorship that pays ejust about verything for you. Price wise, it seemed like a much better (and probably the only) option for me. Though i'm not to sure how the KL program is (which is what i want to focus on)...
dino.sue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot about Yonsei vs. Sogang, but I don't see Ewha being compared. A friend of mine is planning to take that course, and is trying to convince me to go, too. However, I know Yonsei and Sogang are more reputable.

Originally I was inclined to go to Yonsei, because of it's reknown and prestige, but after reading these reviews I'm thinking that Sogang may be a better option. I consider myself fairly academic, which is why I think Yonsei is appealing, but think that what I really need at this point is conversation skills, not the ability to diagram a Korean sentence or whatever.

So, toughts on Ewha in this comparison of university programs?
catchshime

Location: "I am not born for one corner; the whole world is my native land."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard Sogang is far better than Ewha, any weight to that claim?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: