Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adults VS Kids
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you prefer to teach Children or Adults
Children
46%
 46%  [ 13 ]
Adults
53%
 53%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 28

2CuteNCanadian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Adults VS Kids Reply with quote

Alright everyone....lets see what your preferences are....when it comes to teaching children or adults, for those of you with experience in both, which do you prefer:
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught middle school, high school, university and adults. My interest level is proportional to their age. I can tolerate and often enjoy teaching as young as high school. But the older the better.

But starting today I will be spending 4 hours a day teaching middle school brats. Rolling Eyes It will last for one month. Then back to adults.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm there was no option on it doesn't matter.

I voted kiddies as that is where most of my experience lies.

However it doesn't really matter to me, I will teach anyone.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Children are evil.
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
Children are evil.

agreed
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rand don't you have a kid?
I like kids, I've taught an adult class, but I enjoy the enthusiasm of kids.
clg
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylemongirl wrote:
clg

Notice the above sentences are in plural (children vs child) Kids in groups of more than one are just plain evil.
wylde

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylemongirl wrote:
clg

being not an entertainer i find that teaching adults is much more rewarding... they pay the bills, they are the 1's that are enthusiastic..

90% of childrens enthusiasm is contained in their disruptive abilities
erlyn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach both. I don't dislike teaching kids, per se, but I find that in my experience, the adults are more likely to use English in their everyday life. Every once in a while, one of them will come to me, really excited, about how they were able to write a proper e-mail to a European colleague, or were able to field a phone call in English in front of their peers, and really impress their boss. That can sometimes make them more enthusiastic or motivated to study.

I don't think you can definitively say that one is better than the other, though. I think that there are probably also lots of unmotivated adults out there, studying to increase their TOEIC score, but otherwise completely uninterested. I agree with the above poster who said it can be directly proportional to the interest and enthusiasm of the students.
osangrl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive taught all ages.

For two years it was kindergarden and elementary. At the time i thought it was the worst thing in the world. The prep, the screaming, the butt pokes, the "PUT YOUR HEADS DOWN".......but now i miss it. The hugs, the "teacher, teacher", making the flash cards, figuring out a cool game to play, the cheers when i walked in the classroom. Its tough work. But i think for a first timer, children is where its at. If you can survive a year of that, you can do anything. Its also very rewarding.

I guess i don't like teaching adults because of their often ignorant views. They always say the same thing, and often all think the same way. It makes conversation class a bit boring. Plus the split shifts suck.

Now im teaching highschool. I like the subjects, ancient history and life science. Its like im a real teacher. Teaching about cells and genetics and photosynthesis, and ancient greece and egypt and India. But highschool students are worked to death and it takes alot to stimulate them. They are often too tired to think.

I picked children, even though adults are easier.
anae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the younger the better. I love 3-7 year olds. They are little sponges who love learning and love their teacher. What else could I want?
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anae wrote:
For me, the younger the better. I love 3-7 year olds. They are little sponges who love learning and love their teacher. What else could I want?

I second this. I love my little chittlins and they their big burly punching bag.
Squid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adults only here my chingus.

2002 I taught hagwon kids for ECC, which whilst a steady paycheck, was basically a childminding position. I grew to dislike it intensely, especially the kindergarten classes.
That was my first position though and I stuck it out just to get a completed contract under my belt, which = bargaining power here.
My current school took a small risk with my lack of adult teaching experience when they hired me but since then I've enjoyed it, despite the split shifts, kept and increased my roll, and they're happy as can be. After a year or two of this I'll be in line for a move to a Uni. position, even less working hours- and hopefully an above average paycheck.
All that and job satisfaction too- a former student got a job recently and E-Mailed me to thank me for the help I'd given her, unpaid, in tidying up her resume and cover letter in English.

Adults only for me, tip of the hat to you that can tolerate the little screamers.

Squid
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to swear by teaching adults- always. I've swwitched to a public shcool gig and I don't think I'd ever look back. The kids can be both the best and worst students I've ever taought, sometimes in the same class.

The thing is, I teach around 1200 kids each week, and out of that, I'd say less than fifty cause trouble. Good odds, don't you think?

(
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, peppermint, 1200? I only teach 90 students a week (ah, the hagwon life!) the vast majority in elementary and early middle school. I used to think I wanted to teach adults but I've found the younger students learn more, try harder, have more energy and are more fun. It's hard to imagine giving them up for inhibited older folk who don't want to practice, cannot be pushed much and only want to have conversations with their ill-equipped English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: