Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nike in Korea (Any Sneaker Heads Out Here?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NaD00D00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Nike in Korea (Any Sneaker Heads Out Here?) Reply with quote

My sister and a good friend of mine just recently got me into cool sneakers, most notably Nikes. I was wondering if anyone knew how the different Nike stores worked here in Korea?

I noticed here last year when I was visiting, each city has a number of different Nike stores. It seems as if each serves different purposes.

For example, one city (I can't remember which, it was about an hour from Hadong) I went to last year had like, 3 of them. They weren't within eye view of eachother, but they were all in the same general city-area, if that makes any sense.

One seemed as if like a general Nike store, with regular stuff you'd find in America. Another seemed as if it was more of a sports store, with more gear like cleats and such. Then finally, there was a Nike store (which was harder to find than the others), in a hole-in-the-wall like location that had lots of cool clothes and exclusive retro sneakers. They sold stuff I'd never seen before in the states, and I bought a pair of Asia-exclusive sneakers and took 'em back home with me.

Anyone know how this all works? Is there one of these fashion-like boutique Nikes in the Gimpo/Book-byun area? I've found the other two, but not the coolest one (if it even exists)...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
komtengi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its random over here...
none of the better shoes are really available.
but there are two nike stores that come to mind as to having better boutique nikes on at hakdong interesection, the other in Myungdong.

other wise hit Kasina store in Myungdong for some great kicks, or there is a store in Itaewon that sells some of the better Jordan releases and another interesting store in the carpark street in Hongdae
NaD00D00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Did any of those stores you mentioned have any of the clothes? Like the nice polos and stuff?
They had a cool line going last summer, where they had screen Ts or whatever that said "Have a Nike Day." I thought it was pretty cool.

If anyone else can chime in, that'd be great too.
milspecs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can probably find some visvims in korea.
nosmallplans

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we talking about replica jordans from the 90's with like four mismatching colors? 'cuz i've seen at least a few shops that carry stuff like that in hongdae and myungdong.
NaD00D00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, only the authorized Nike stores.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the latest/greatest Air Jordans, you don't find them in Korea.

I got a buddy who is REAL big on Nike Sneaker. He has a closet full. Its an expensive hobby, i'll tell you that much.

I was there once and he talked about Space Jam edition Jordans, or the 93 reissues, etc... I was so confused.

He has this white pair that he only wore once. Said he'll only wear them again during a REALLY special occasion.

They looked like any other pair of sneakers, but he said they are very rare and could fetch a lot of money if he sold them.
NaD00D00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really big on Jordans. More on the retro shoes. I bout a pair of Court Forces and Dunks last summer; they were really nice.

They were selling some nice J's at this one Nike near me though (one of the few that I like), but they were going for over 300K won. I don't know how much they go for in America, but I know as of right now, they don't sell that particular one there. Still wouldn't pay that much for 'em, though.
Michael Scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the actual nike stores i've visited just have general releases. nothing too fancy. ABC Mart occasionally has a few nice ones, but usually just have general releases.

there's a boutique shop in kangnam with a buncha j's and nikes. got some other brands too. they also sell stussy gear. it's off exit 6. go straight until you hit a 4 way intersection, take a left, and it's like 2 blocks down on the left next to burger king.

i saw this other nike lux store right outside of dogok station. forget the exit number, but it's on this strip mall with the vips restaurant. i saw the defining moments package in the display window, but i'm not sure if they had em for sale.

there's a few clothes/sneaker boutique shops in the rodeo section of apku. i saw mostly sb's.

and there's always dongdaemun. avoid the stands with fakes and look around the diff stores with authentics. saw a buncha jordan/af1 fusions when i went there a few months back.
ForceOne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP feel free to PM me with any questions. I've been here for a while and am a Nike head.

Regarding all the different Nike stores, there are so many because they all have different accounts. There are your basic Nike stores, Nike Culture stores, and Nike Seoul stores (similar to Niketown in the States). The majority of the stores just sell basic, general release (GR) Nikes, while other stores require a Jordan Brand account to sell J's, or a Quickstrike account to sell the limited, hard to get stuff. I know this is how it is in North America, but I'm pretty sure its similar here, and that's why you can only get certain styles at certain stores.

Regarding Nike clothes, I usually don't pay too much attention as the Asian sizes don't fit.

However, I disagree with pkang0220. I find I've been able to get quite a few pairs of Jordans that I would not be able to get back home (Canada) or I would have had to pre-order or camp outside over night for. I was able to get a few of the Countdown Packs, and just bought the AJ XX3 Motorsport editions on Monday a week after release. That's not to say there aren't a lot of sneakerheads in Korea because there are A LOT, but sometimes having bigger size feet helps Wink

There are also Nike Factory Outlets here. They are usually located outside of Seoul, and just like in North America, are hit or miss.

I've also purchased quite a few pairs through these web sites. They are legit, and prices are decent. Sometimes the prices are higher than North America, but IMO I'm willing to pay more if I can get it.

www.player.co.kr
www.realpicky.com
www.my7cm.co.kr

I hope this helps; like I said feel free to PM me with any questions. Always willing to help a fellow sneakerhead out--as long as you aren't my size!!!
NaD00D00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, thanks a lot guys. These posts have been very helpful, the last one especially. When I saw the last post was by your username, ForceOne, I knew immediately that it would have some good info, lol.

Hopefully I'll be able to venture out and look for some kicks soon. I'll PM sometime in the near future for your help.

Oh, and what size are you? Hahahah...
pkang0202

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting things to know. Now I have a reason to get my Nike head buddy to come to Korea and visit.
victorology

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nike stores here work the same as they do in the U.S.

You won't find a lot of dunks or air force one's at a Foot Locker or Niketown. I know there are quite a few boutiques in Apgujeong. When you go, you should ask to get put on their mailing list (or not since you might end up blowing a lot of money). They often have special limited edition releases that are sold out real quick. Often times, these stores will also be given the opportunity to design their own special edition shoe. I have a friend back in Hawaii who runs a boutique store and got to design his own dunk.
NaD00D00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorology wrote:
The Nike stores here work the same as they do in the U.S.

You won't find a lot of dunks or air force one's at a Foot Locker or Niketown. I know there are quite a few boutiques in Apgujeong. When you go, you should ask to get put on their mailing list (or not since you might end up blowing a lot of money). They often have special limited edition releases that are sold out real quick. Often times, these stores will also be given the opportunity to design their own special edition shoe. I have a friend back in Hawaii who runs a boutique store and got to design his own dunk.

Are you talking general sneaker boutiques? If so, this is not what I'm referring to.

I swear I went to a legit, Authorized Nike store last summer and was able to purchase the Atmos Elephant Pack Court Forces. They also had the polka dot Air Max 90s and the Atmos Elephant Pack Air Max 1s. It was like a boutique, but it was still a real Nike store. Very small, hard to find, etc. I mean, it was still in the fashion part of the city, but it wasn't on a main road or anything. They also had some neat fashion clothes, unlike the normal sports wear you'll find at regular Nike stores. These kinds of Nike spots DO NOT exist in America. Other sneaker boutiques do, like Commonwealth (I'm from Virginia), but NOT these Nike stores that I'm looking for.
ForceOne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YO! I got the Atmos AM1, AM1 Polka dots and AM1 Beasts here in Korea last year...You won't believe me, but I got ALL THREE for 240,000won...Got them at one of the Factory Outlets (on two seperate trips)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: