Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help!! ....best electronic dictionaries??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poet011822

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Please help!! ....best electronic dictionaries?? Reply with quote

there are 1-2 posts on korean-english e-dictionaries, but none that are geared solely for recommendations re: best models/prices/features.

i am trying to buy an e-dictionary with the following:

1. the maximum amount of vocab
2. noun/verb/adj feature
3. hanja option

does anyone have a dic they really, really love?

how much was it? can you tell me about it? (words/model/features?)

i am so clueless as to where to begin!

i will thank you forever if you can help me out!! Smile

-p.
peppergirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Sharp RD-6200, which does Eng-Kor, Kor-Eng, Jap-Kor, Kor-Jap, Eng-Eng, and hanja (I used to live in Japan, that's why I wanted the Japanese function)

these are the specs (from the Sharp website)

�� �з��Ͼ� (4th Edtion) �λ굿�� ������ ���ѻ��� : 220,800�� (Eng-Kor)
- �λ굿�� ������ (2nd Edtion) �ѿ����� : 143,000�� (Kor-Eng)
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary �������� : 162,000�� (Eng-Eng)
- �λ굿�� ��Ʈ�� ���ѻ��� : 65,900�� (Jap-Kor)
- �λ굿�� ��Ʈ�� ���ϻ��� : 69,200�� (Kor-Jap)
- �����б� : 1,987�� (hanja reading)
- ���ڿ��� : 4,888�� ������� ���� (hanja)
- ȸȭ : 12�о� 63�׸� 1,060����
- �оߺ� ���� : 17�о� 113�׸� 3,370����

I checked on http://www.enuri.com for the cheapest price online (varies daily!), and got my husband to buy it online. Alternatively, you could go to Technomart and try to get it for the cheapest online price or even a bit cheaper. I bought it for 226,000 won, now the cheapest online price is 234,000. Official price is 280,000 won (Sharp online store). I did go to an electronic store first to see the real thing before buying it online though... was tempted to get the higher model (RD-7400 I think), which also does Chinese and not much more expensive. But it was a bit too big for my liking.[/url]
poet011822

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, peppergirl! only....i can't read korean so well.

does anyone know of a similar website (that compares e-dic prices), written in english?

any/all help would be appreciated!!!
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no electronic dictionary gonna bring korean magically into your grasp. Useful for the odd noun or unembellished verb but without extensive cross-referencing you'll likely end up baffling your Korean listener. If youre intent on communicating in korean any cheap one is good enough, sample a variety of language textbooks, & run it all through a korean native speaker. No shortcuts on this language.
poet011822

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i certainly dont expect to magically become a fluent korean speaker, but seeing as how i look up words about 382,523 times a day, my paper-dictionary is starting to feel kind of....cumbersome.

e-dics are (in my opinion) expensive.

therefore, i would like to get the most for my money, and would love any recommendations from people who have good dictionaries....

just as some people look around for a computer best suited to their needs, i am looking for an e-dictionary.... same thing.... !

can anyone help me? please?
peppergirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find an English language website which compares specs/prices for Korean-English dictionary, none to be found.
Best thing might be to ask a Korean colleague/friend to check a Korean website (there should be heaps) which compares specs and prices... Even the Korean Sharp website doesn't have any info in English about their dictionaries, and other countries' Sharp websites don't have any info about them either, I checked.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, poet, the snippy tone of my post was unintended, maybe reflecting my own frustrations trying to learn this quirky lingo!

Even the cheapest units indicate n, v, adj, & mine, which cost 65000w a couple years ago, also has japanese & chinese. More expensive ones have voice function which in my opinion is needless as korean orthography is quite regular.

My biggest problem is dealing with homophones -- english has quite a few & korean has tons, so simple words have multiple entries & theres little to steer you in choosing the appropriate one. Another issue is having to recognize korean suffixes & compounds which often disguise the root word.

Within these limitations, they have their uses, but my original caution stands too: theyre no panacea.

I went to that electronics complex in Seoul with the goal of seeking out the cheapest unit. Look for sturdy, small, & light -- there are several low-cost brands & I expect one's much the same as another. Mine has a few bells & whistles I never use but some units are loaded with extraneous functions & are overpriced accordingly.

Good luck!
Harpeau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which dictionary might you recommend for accuracy? My Korean uni students keep a vocabulary book and some of the nuances in regard to word meanings I noticed were at times rather off. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: