Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adult textbook suggestions for discussion class?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gollum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Adult textbook suggestions for discussion class? Reply with quote

I am going to teach some discussion to adults of varying levels. Students will be split into three levels. The people enrolled at the school will be involved in marketing, adversiting, and PR -- that sort of stuff.

The director wants me to find a textbook for discussion topics, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two books that I think are good (haven't tried them yet) are Identity and English Know How.

Identity looks like it would disguise the language learning that goes on. Students would see that it is not purely discussion but it has a very subtle grammar focus.

Hope this helps
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of books from Pusan National University called "Small Group Discussion Topics". I think they are yellow. Some of the topics are pretty good, some not so good.

By pre-teaching vocabulary and idioms, then having the discussions followed up by other activities with the new words/idioms, you can extend (and reinforce) the topic over several class periods.

Don't forget about using Dear Abby-type letters. Those columns can be a gold mine of topics for discussion and giving advice as well as culture discussions.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those books from PNU are OK but they are a bit dated. The articles are not very current. But some of the issues are still relevant.

Just go to your local English Plus or Young Kwang book store, there should be a lot of discussion type books in the adult ESL section.

If the focus is going to be business English, then there is a book called
Disscussion topics for Business English, (sorry I'm not sure about the title)
Happy Bear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Market Leader Reply with quote

I used Market Leader in Europe with business adults, but it teaches all the areas from vocab to grammar and speaking. Get the teacher's guide as it includes a lot of discussions around business in the back, also, it explains the subjects to you so you can sound knowledgeable.

A lot of my students really liked the phrases and vocabulary that they learned.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Market Leader Reply with quote

I think those PNU books are unprofessional, I've never used them once. They are prejudiced, unstructured, out of date and filled with often ridiculous topics. I think they were probably okay for their time; mid-nineties they started to come out I think when there was no or little chance of hiring someone in Korea who knew how to teach. But EFL in Korea has way moved on from that.

I recommend the Fast Lane Series, structured, clearly defined conversation activities with specific learning objectives.
rickhorton44

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Fast Lane Series Reply with quote

Where can I get information or buy the fast lane series?
Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Lane Series Reply with quote

rickhorton44 wrote:
Where can I get information or buy the fast lane series?

Do a websearch or go to kyobo bookstore and take a look. It is published by Heinemann and widely available in Korea. They apparently use it at Sookmyung women's university, another reason why that must be a pretty fuggin nice place to work^^
SuperHero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Market Leader Reply with quote

Butterfly wrote:
I think those PNU books are unprofessional, I've never used them once. They are prejudiced, unstructured, out of date and filled with often ridiculous topics. I think they were probably okay for their time; mid-nineties they started to come out I think when there was no or little chance of hiring someone in Korea who knew how to teach. But EFL in Korea has way moved on from that.

I recommend the Fast Lane Series, structured, clearly defined conversation activities with specific learning objectives.

ditto
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz English is a pretty good one.
jaebea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people think of using media such as magazines (TIME or similar) to source topics for adult discussion?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

jae.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaebea wrote:
What do people think of using media such as magazines (TIME or similar) to source topics for adult discussion?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

jae.

Depends how you do it, as with everything. Unfortnately, many teachers I think just had it out as it is, read it as a group, bit by bit, explaining the vocab as you go, and then just 'talking about it'.

BORING!!!!!

I think there are so many ways to conduct these lessons in interesting and functionally useful ways. Preview vocab with a visual excercise? Stimulate interest in the topic before handing out the article by asking pertinent questions? Cut up the article into segments and give them out bit by bit? Read the article as a prelude to a CNN / BBC news item on the same topic? Rewrite the article, simplifying it so it can be read more quickly, shortening the amount of new vocab?

There are a million ways to make such a lesson interesting, I hope people stop just photocopying any old rot and just 'talking about it'
shawner88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chatterbox 3, works every time.
Ody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
Jazz English is a pretty good one.

i had this book picked out for my 2nd year conversation students only to find out that i'm teaching speech to the 2nd years and 1st year conversation.

this will be my 1st time in the classroom with new students and based on what i've gleaned both here and at my school, they're pretty tough and require the kind of structure you get with New Interchange (1).

my question, mr. pink (or anyone else familiar with Jazz English) is how comfortable with using English do the students need to be to successfully utilize this book? what level are/were the students you work(ed) with? do you recommend supplimenting it with other more grammar focused texts?

EDIT: after serious scrutiny, i've decided not to chance it. this is the kind of text i think i will present after my students and i have developed a rapport.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the new updated editions of the PNU books? They look quite interesting and the articles are up to date. The discussion topics look really interesting as well, much better than the old editions.

The level of English required for them is quite high though, about equal with level 3 interchange or higher.

If you are trying discussion topics with lower levels, you may be able to dumb them down a bit and still use them, but that would mean rewriting and simplifying all the articles. (a lot of work)

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: