Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Denied VISA, where to go now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niandralades

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Denied VISA, where to go now? Reply with quote

Hi, all.

I was just informed that I've been denied a VISA to teach in Korea. I'd been there the two previous years, but this time my DUI (from 2000, if you're wondering) caught up with me. I still have every desire to be an ESL teacher, and am hoping that some of you will be able to point me in a better direction.

What are the countries that a criminal record will not affect my being granted a VISA? Any of the countries in the Middle East? Vietnam?

Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

Edit: There's a public school job in Gangwon-do that was giving me 10 weeks of holidays, and it's now open. Seems decent.

Last edited by niandralades on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kimbop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Korea and work on a tourist visa. Or a working holiday visa.

You'll earn more and work less.
Passions

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimbop wrote:

Great way to break the law. Rolling Eyes

Is that a mug shot of yourself?
seoulteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Denied VISA, where to go now? Reply with quote

niandralades wrote:
Hi, all.

I was just informed that I've been denied a VISA to teach in Korea. I'd been there the two previous years, but this time my .08 (from 2000, if you're wondering) caught up with me. I still have every desire to be an ESL teacher, and am hoping that some of you will be able to point my in a better direction.

What are the countries that a criminal record will not affect my being granted a VISA? Any of the countries in the Middle East? Vietnam?

Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

Edit: There's a public school job in Gangwon-do that was giving me 10 weeks of holidays, and it's now open. Seems decent.

I presume that an '0.8' is DUI (driving under the influence), alcohol-related? My ignorance, but maybe clarifying that might get more folks to get on board to give info helpful to you?

China? Seems like there are lots of jobs there. And I know that they'd been more relaxed about applicant qualifications (accepting non-degree teachers, and more nations' citizens as teachers); do they ask for a criminal record check? Check daves China job ads, or maybe someone else here could provide that info...

Good luck!
head-in-the-clouds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimbop wrote:

troll/fromtheuk
sojourner1

Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 10 weeks vacation really is something. I got 5 in Gangwondo.

Sorry you wasn't able to get it. No waiver, because you were good enough for the job for 2 years, you're not good enough the 3rd year? I think these CBC and credit checks employers do are only burying good people trying to be good and do good. It's like if you have one boo boo on your criminal or credit record, then you're toast. It wasn't never like that before the year 2000 in any job market. And unlike on a criminal record, a lack of activity in a credit record disqualifies you from jobs at home since you won't have much credit built up. In America, you'd have to have great credit just to join the military or get a government job now!

I sure hope Korea does not resort to credit checks as that's punishing. OP, you might try Japan, China, or Taiwan.
head-in-the-clouds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sojourner1 wrote:
Wow, 10 weeks vacation really is something. I got 5 in Gangwondo.

Sorry you wasn't able to get it. No waiver, because you were good enough for the job for 2 years, you're not good enough the 3rd year? I think these CBC and credit checks employers do are only burying good people trying to be good and do good. It's like if you have one boo boo on your criminal or credit record, then you're toast. It wasn't never like that before the year 2000 in any job market. And unlike on a criminal record, a lack of activity in a credit record disqualifies you from jobs at home since you won't have much credit built up. In America, you'd have to have great credit just to join the military or get a government job now!

I sure hope Korea does not resort to credit checks as that's punishing. OP, you might try Japan, China, or Taiwan.

Pretty good for stoping possible sex offenders though?
Beeyee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy who just got a new visa and he has two separate counts of domestic assault on his record.

Does Korea really think that a DUI is more serious?!
call_the_shots

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Japan. Their exchange rates are favorable nowadays, so their salaries are comparable to (if not better than) Korea's. The problem is that other teachers know this, so you'll have a lot of competition for the jobs there.
Straphanger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Denied VISA, where to go now? Reply with quote

niandralades wrote:
Hi, all.

I was just informed that I've been denied a VISA to teach in Korea. I'd been there the two previous years, but this time my .08 (from 2000, if you're wondering) caught up with me.

That's odd. I know one or two teachers working here with a DUI, one FOB came here in March was still on probation for reckless driving after being arrested for DUI. Are you sure you didn't tell them anything mind bogglingly stupid?

Like, I dunno, the truth? Laughing
Juregen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interpretation of the rules by bureaucrats who make the decision can change from day to day.

Try again Smile.
Kimbop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

head-in-the-clouds wrote:
Kimbop wrote:

troll/fromtheuk

Funny. The smartest people I know in Korea earn more than 100,000 per hour doing 'illegal' work. (Some of them even by teaching English)

I nevertheless do not condone doing so. Enjoy your hakwon.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juregen wrote:
The interpretation of the rules by bureaucrats who make the decision can change from day to day.

Try again Smile.

I think it depends on the immigration office and officer. It is stupid to stop people from working because of a DUI, because you can even teach in the US if you have a DUI. I think many people with a DUI are teaching in Korea. Some officials just see something on the record and are not educated and are lazy and just reject you possibly. Go to another office.
Toon Army

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimbop wrote:

just out of interest which countries qualify for the working holiday visa? Anyone know anyone here on a WHV?

I believe Koreans can get WHV for Australia, NZ and Canada.......so I assume it`s the same the other way?
littlelisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

France too, I think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: